New Ship Wright in the Pac Northwest

Hello my fellow ship builders from the Pacific Northwest, land of Bigfoot and Pine Trees.

I have been an avid builder of models for a long time, but have been away from the pastime for quite a while, (wife, kids, work.....). In the distant past, so long ago we won't talk about the number of years, I built several ship models, all in plastics, culminating with the Revel Cutty Sark and CSS Alabama. Still have the Alabama on my mantle, but the Cutty Sark is long gone sadly.

My long time dream has been to build a wooden model, and as the time nears for my youngest to graduate high school, I have started to poke around the web looking for ideas. Having done my previous builds I am fairly certain I can pull off most if not all the rigging issues, if a little rusty. But what I have no experience with is the actual hull construction/planking, and this is what I have been looking for ideas as to the best first build to learn this trade, but not something so simple.

Any thoughts or guidance from the experienced ship builders here on how to proceed or which model to tackle first if I am looking for a beginner experience with a bit more challenge would be greatly appreciated.

Also, if there are any members in the Pac Northwest that have any info on clubs, groups, associations etc. in or around the Portland Oregon area, I would love a chance to meet with and pics their brains. It's hard to start something like this hobby without support, and I am finding that few if any hobby stores carry this line of products any more, or have any experience with them.

Thanks

Hoser

Back