New to forum, but not to ship modelling

Hello fellow ship modellers. Bob Squarebriggs here, a Island born sailor and long time ship modeller. Since I left the navy, something I miss every day, I bring the sea to me through my ship models. I have only ever built one wooden kit and since then, figured I could do better from scratch, and never looked back. That was 1972. Since that time I have built from scratch a wide assortment of sailing vessels, in various methods, and scales, and now concentrate on war ships of the period 1740 - 1815. I have taught myself, and learned by doing and reading. Living here in the North part of New Brunswick, in Canada, there were few ship modellers and fewer hobby shops to learn from, but through trial and error, I developed my skills to be able to create a reasonable sailing ship model, half model or carving. It is a pleasure to come aboard and hope to share methods and skills with you. Here are a selection of my work.

tyger.jpgbrig 2.jpgcutter 2.jpgfrigate 1.jpgwall 12.jpgP1110729.JPGwall 3.jpg

wood and the sea , it’s not a hobby it’s a passion. Really glad to have you with us. One of the best things about this site is the vast range of experience and different skill levels all linked to the keeping the art alive. I have learned allot from the good folks here. I also build to bring out the natural look of the wood, your work shows how different types of wood properly stained or treated can produce a great look and fell. Look forward to seeing more.
MOG

Welcome Bob to this wonderfull international forum, everything is open and friendly great members to help in every phase of SHIP MODELING, and your models look GREAT AND YOUR CRAFSMANSHIP IS ALSO WONDERFULL, what project are you working on now. Don

wood and the sea , it’s not a hobby it’s a passion. Really glad to have you with us. One of the best things about this site is the vast range of experience and different skill levels all linked to the keeping the art alive. I have learned allot from the good folks here. I also build to bring out the natural look of the wood, your work shows how different types of wood properly stained or treated can produce a great look and fell. Look forward to seeing more.
MOG
Oh so true MOG, a passion for ships and the sea is in my blood! I found out recently that my Great Grandfather and his Father operated a ship yard in my home province of Prince Edward Island, and they operated a trading business, a mercantile store and a small farm. They were both Master Mariners, and sailed both their own built and owned vessels and some owned by others. Wonderful what we can learn now a day about our forefathers.

Bob

Welcome Bob to this wonderfull international forum, everything is open and friendly great members to help in every phase of SHIP MODELING, and your models look GREAT AND YOUR CRAFSMANSHIP IS ALSO WONDERFULL, what project are you working on now. Don
Hey Don, thank you for the warm welcome. Ships and the sea are my passion and wood is my way of expressing myself . I am glad that you have enjoyed my work, and hope to share much more with the group in the days, weeks and months, to come.

Bob

Back