New to SoS!

Good evening!
After an acquaintance recommended that I should join this group to more understand model ship assembly, I started perusing these forums. And soon thought that even though I have little to offer in return as I’m new to ship building outside of expressing gratitude, l decided to join. A brief history is due: veteran (USAF) 72-76. Hobbies include; Model builder (mostly plastic) since a teenager, S/W radio listener, auto enthusiast, and now wooden ships. My first project, the Ketch Mary Byrne, is challenging me due to lacking many of the necessary skill sets. I’m looking forward to interacting, learning, and building!

Welcome Craig.... SOS is a great learning environment. Hope your time here is enjoyable.!! Lots of good folks around here and lots of knowledge too. Ship building is all about the experience, the history, and the fun.! Stick with it and you will discover another way to spend quality time and stretch your understanding and imagination.!!
Start a build log for the Mary Byrne.! Lots of folks around here who can help---if you need it.!
Again, welcome.

Good evening!
After an acquaintance recommended that I should join this group to more understand model ship assembly, I started perusing these forums. And soon thought that even though I have little to offer in return as I’m new to ship building outside of expressing gratitude, l decided to join. A brief history is due: veteran (USAF) 72-76. Hobbies include; Model builder (mostly plastic) since a teenager, S/W radio listener, auto enthusiast, and now wooden ships. My first project, the Ketch Mary Byrne, is challenging me due to lacking many of the necessary skill sets. I’m looking forward to interacting, learning, and building!
a warm welcome here on board of our forum.

Welcome Craig.... SOS is a great learning environment. Hope your time here is enjoyable.!! Lots of good folks around here and lots of knowledge too. Ship building is all about the experience, the history, and the fun.! Stick with it and you will discover another way to spend quality time and stretch your understanding and imagination.!!
Start a build log for the Mary Byrne.! Lots of folks around here who can help---if you need it.!
Again, welcome.
Thank you!

FROM ME TOO,JUSK ASK QUESTIONS SOMEONE WILL ANSWER. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE DON
I’m beginning to respect abundantly the builds I’ve seen on SOS-the fairing/planking in particular. I’m using a white glue and not a CA, thank God, as I’ve had to pull up several planks for one reason or another. But mostly due to incorrect fairing... I’m hoping the learning curve is the steepest here!
-Am I in the minority in these 2 tasks or do most of you have these issues in the beginning?

This was the original intent of this forum was to bring new modelers into the hobby to learn and enjoy without being or feeling overwhelmed or intimidated.
Not overwhelmed-yet. But definitely intimidated by my lack of understanding the fairing process and the planking. I’ve a practicum (4 hour dvd) and it’s conflicting with the written instructions on Mary Byrne. One says to cut from the bottom of the plank, the other says the top. Is there a preferred choice, or does it matter?

The most important plank that most people lay down first is called the Garboard plank as it goes along side the keel on each side.
I have planked both ways. Starting at keel and working my way up to the Wales and then the other way from Wales to the garboard plank. I don’t think it really matters as long as you taper the ends at the bow. The stern might need extra small strips called stealers as usually the stern fans out wider.

Back