New to the hobby

Hello all,

I've built a few plastic kits in the past when I was younger but I'm interested in starting to build wooden model ships. I appreciate that the jump from plastic to wood is a significant one, however, I hope now that I'm a bit older I can take on the challenge!

I've tried to do some background research via youtube, watching other builds and techniques. I would be grateful if some more experienced members might help me with a recommended reading list or book. Like most things I'm sure it is best to get stuck in and start building something to gain experience. Unfortunately, due to work commitments I can't start a new build for another 6 months (!) but would still like to do some prep before I start. Also recommendations on 'starter' or 'beginner' wooden model kits would be gratefully appreciated too. I have no doubt that many others before me have asked the same questions; not sure if there is a place on the forum for relative beginners such as me?

Bramo

Hallo Bramo,
first of all a warm welcome here on board of our forum.
Building wooden ships will open some new challenges, but also a lot of fun - you will see.
One question: do you want to start the wooden "business" with a kit or do you want directly with some scratch projects?
If you will start with kit-models, than maybe this book is of some help:

In principle, next to went through our building logs and also our area of hints and tips, please check also our book review area, where you can find several publications interesting for you.

Uwek,

Thank you for the welcome and the reading suggestion. I'm definitely looking at starting with kits first. Not sure where to start with my first kit though I would think something relatively simple. Maybe a small ship to get the basics of building bulkheads and planking, priming and painting with wood etc.

I will have a look at the book suggestion, seems like a good place to start.

Welcome aboard :)
I'm 100% neophyte myself. I don't know but for myself I have decided that the group projects would be a good place to start. One can walk in the footsteps of several others and thereby, hopefully, avoid stepping on too many landmines. It also kinda guaranty instant help from multiple sources for any problems that may arise.

my view is start with something relatively simple but not small - depending on how much you can afford and what type of ship you want to build. Learning about planking and rigging is hard enough without the parts being fiddly and thin. Bending longer/thicker planks is easier than thin cheap ones which just snap so easily. Having said that, the kits from Falconet and others which contain pre-shaped parts would be a good start no matter what the size

All,

Thank you for your help, the group projects idea definitely sounds like an excellent way to learn. I will see what comes up next year! Starting with a larger model certainly makes sense considering fiddly parts.

welcome to SOS Bramo! I like "the ship model builder's assistant" book which is cheap and gives a good overview of the boat terminology and means of use of the parts including the rigging. it is a 271 page book with thousands of diagrams. As to a starting build almost all kits are good but the higher the cost the more parts and complexity, so I would recommend a smaller cheaper and bigger sized model like
Artesania Latina 19018 1/25 Providence - Barco ballena de Nueva Inglaterra
on Amazon for 55$. It is a small boat but large sized and has all the complexity as a big fancy one but scaled down so you will not pull out your hair in the fiddling parts. Plus it does not cost much and is Big so you can get used to the tiny tools you will need to do a Ship Of The Line.
Luck friend and watch the forums here for more tricks and methods.

One option is to invest in a teaching practicum based on a specific model. There are several sources on the web for ship modeling practicums that walk you through your model build step by step with instructions and photos. One example of a source is Lauckstreetshipyard.com. Bob Hunt has practicums that cover beginner builds as well as more advanced. He is a good instructor. Pick a beginner practicum and get the kit it is based on and you will have an enjoyable start to the hobby! Welcome aboard!

Hello all,

I've built a few plastic kits in the past when I was younger but I'm interested in starting to build wooden model ships. I appreciate that the jump from plastic to wood is a significant one, however, I hope now that I'm a bit older I can take on the challenge!

I've tried to do some background research via youtube, watching other builds and techniques. I would be grateful if some more experienced members might help me with a recommended reading list or book. Like most things I'm sure it is best to get stuck in and start building something to gain experience. Unfortunately, due to work commitments I can't start a new build for another 6 months (!) but would still like to do some prep before I start. Also recommendations on 'starter' or 'beginner' wooden model kits would be gratefully appreciated too. I have no doubt that many others before me have asked the same questions; not sure if there is a place on the forum for relative beginners such as me?

Bramo
Hallo Bramo,
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Hallo Bramo,
Birthday-Cake
Uwek, thank you very much! I've just started getting ready to start building something now work has calmed down a bit.

Sir Bramo: I have only been with this build blog a short, time, this is my first wood build, but the scale is only 1: 200, and was falling apart, it is the HMS VICTORY which is my second one, I got frustrated with the first one, I THrew up against the wall, the second one I received at Christmas, but no plans for either, but because the help I HAVE BEE GETTING FROM THIS BLOG, IV MANAGED to get this to the point where I should paint it, these people are very very helpful. And now I do have a few forums, and threads have to answer. ps, It is fun and challenging.

Hello all,

Bramo
Hallo @Bramo
Birthday-Cake

Back