New to wooden Ships

Greetings everyone ,
Thanks for allowing me to join. I've been building plastic models for around 40 years and decided to try something new and switched to wooden ships.
My first build is Artesania Latinas Soleil Royal which I am slowly making progress on.
I've already been bitten by the wood bug as I've bought my next 4 kits lol
Billings Boats - HMS Victory
Occre - Montanes and Santisima Trinidad
Mantua - Amerigo Vespucci

I will watch and learn from everyone's work and hopefully will one day produce them to the standard of all the other builds I see here.
Thanks Greg
20230311_194222.jpg20230205_104250.jpg20230313_105857.jpg

Hi Greg,
welcome aboard mate and there are plenty of Australian members here. The model looks great so far and please consider making a build log.

cheers buddy.

Greetings everyone ,
Thanks for allowing me to join. I've been building plastic models for around 40 years and decided to try something new and switched to wooden ships.
My first build is Artesania Latinas Soleil Royal which I am slowly making progress on.
I've already been bitten by the wood bug as I've bought my next 4 kits lol
Billings Boats - HMS Victory
Occre - Montanes and Santisima Trinidad
Mantua - Amerigo Vespucci

I will watch and learn from everyone's work and hopefully will one day produce them to the standard of all the other builds I see here.
Thanks Greg
View attachment 363649View attachment 363650View attachment 363651
Welcome Greg, Looks like you've hit the deck running. It looks great.
Terry

Hi Greg! For a beginner in wooden ships, your are off to a fantastic start. Your hull planking is excellent, and that is where most who start in wooden ships struggle. Your ship looks clean and tidy, and the finished ship will be a work of art if things keep going as they are. Looking forward to following your build log.

Welcome!

Hi Greg! For a beginner in wooden ships, your are off to a fantastic start. Your hull planking is excellent, and that is where most who start in wooden ships struggle. Your ship looks clean and tidy, and the finished ship will be a work of art if things keep going as they are. Looking forward to following your build log.

Welcome!
Thankyou very much , I watched a lot of planking videos and even still, had to remove and replace several rows of planks when things started to go horribly wrong. I'm sure with people like yourself looking over my shoulder I shouldn't wander too far astray.

Thankyou very much , I watched a lot of planking videos and even still, had to remove and replace several rows of planks when things started to go horribly wrong. I'm sure with people like yourself looking over my shoulder I shouldn't wander too far astray.
Sometimes you have to back up a couple steps and redo things. Rework is usually worth the time and effort. If you have any questions or need others' advice, post a question in your build log! You'll get a response often within minutes. A lot of members monitor the messages throughout the day. Try to keep questions as specific as possible. Going on a ship modelling forum and asking "how do I build a Spanish galleon?" is usually met with deafening silence. But, a question like "How are ties rigged differently on French versus English ships?" will get a near instant answer.

Back