New tool very nice small and compact ,it can take the smallest of drill bits . The 3 jaw chuck is sold separately. Picked it up at homedepot.

The problem I've always encountered with using a Dremel as a free-hand drill is that, even with the variable speed models, the RPM is too high for accurate control. I went out and found this, which works really well:

The problem I've always encountered with using a Dremel as a free-hand drill is that, even with the variable speed models, the RPM is too high for accurate control. I went out and found this, which works really well:
Hey Doc...
I've been looking for something slower instead of my Dremel and Foredom tool. This looks like it might be the ticket...
I looked at the Amazon listing and one thing stands out. Some mentions of an issue with the chuck or nosepiece running out of round. The drills are seen to exhibit a definite 'wobble'. Then I noticed the manufacturer (vendor, someone..??) put a disclaimer at the bottom of the description mentioning that it ran with a wobble.!!
If you have one, tell me what you think about this. I would guess that it is a real "thing" or the description would not have the mention added to the bottom..???

@Hobbit99 Whatever the tool, Dremel, Proxxon or others I think a 3 jaws chuck will never be as accurate as collets. Especially for small diameter drills

I think this is true if you are using the drill in a miniature drill press setup. Free hand, the human hand introduces enough "wobble" to negate the collet's advantage, if any.

My choice is the Micromotor, which I am using for drillbits (no wobble) as well as for carving. Speeds from 0 to 35000 and absolutely concentric. Small dia body, smooth running with speed control foot pedal this is the perfect tool for modelling.
János

For heavy duty work, cutting, grinding, my Fordom tool. Corded, with a variable speed foot control, cable driven handpiece, collet, great for wood carving.

jF34JRp.jpg

For lighter duty work, my cordless Dremel. 5 speeds, but most quite fast. Compact, fits my hand well. I use it a lot.

6lyDLlA.jpg

For drilling, I use these two cheapies. Both were listed as screwdrivers. The red one has two speeds, the grey one one very slow speed. I find the speeds to be very good for control when drilling. Not real fast, but much faster than a ball pin vice.

WQaanZk.jpg

Lastly, the pin vices. I like the ball handle ones the best as they seem to fit my hand well. The black one, third from the right I have in 4 sizes - came in a set. The last one on the right is a "push" drill. Kinda works like the old "Stanley Yankee" screwdriver.

Slow? I guess. Accurate and controllable? The best for me.

CMgIrQV.jpg

I have several 3 jaw chucks that can be held in a 1/8" collet and I use them for grinding and cutting bits mostly, taking them off and using the collets in them for drilling.

EJ

For heavy duty work, cutting, grinding, my Fordom tool. Corded, with a variable speed foot control, cable driven handpiece, collet, great for wood carving.

jF34JRp.jpg

For lighter duty work, my cordless Dremel. 5 speeds, but most quite fast. Compact, fits my hand well. I use it a lot.

6lyDLlA.jpg

For drilling, I use these two cheapies. Both were listed as screwdrivers. The red one has two speeds, the grey one one very slow speed. I find the speeds to be very good for control when drilling. Not real fast, but much faster than a ball pin vice.

WQaanZk.jpg

Lastly, the pin vices. I like the ball handle ones the best as they seem to fit my hand well. The black one, third from the right I have in 4 sizes - came in a set. The last one on the right is a "push" drill. Kinda works like the old "Stanley Yankee" screwdriver.

Slow? I guess. Accurate and controllable? The best for me.

CMgIrQV.jpg

I have several 3 jaw chucks that can be held in a 1/8" collet and I use them for grinding and cutting bits mostly, taking them off and using the collets in them for drilling.

EJ
Nice selection.!!
I’ll second the Foredom. I’ve had mine literally for YEARS.!! Very High Quality machine. A little bulky, and the motor is heavy, but nothing is stronger or better built. I think the newer Foredoms are probably better, although I don’t know how.!! Mine is at least 25 yrs old. Still running good.!

Back