New kit New Vasa kit from Artesania Latina

I can't believe my eyes!And this is called premium class?Squalor!Last century!Any model from Master Shipbuilder or Falconet will give you 100 points of handicap.You can scold me for saying that.

Here's what a premium class should look like. https://www.zhlmodel.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=204 View attachment 204324View attachment 204325View attachment 204326Artesania has a cheap fake that does not qualify for the premium title.
Hi Mr deep, Yes that sure is a premium model it’s beautiful and I would love to make that kit. But along with a premium model comes a premium price, I think that with delivery and taxes it would cost about three times the amount of the AL one here in the U.K., not everyone can afford that so unless you’re totally dedicated the AL would be an acceptable alternative, it’s good to have a choice.

ken

Hi Mr deep, Yes that sure is a premium model it’s beautiful and I would love to make that kit. But along with a premium model comes a premium price, I think that with delivery and taxes it would cost about three times the amount of the AL one here in the U.K., not everyone can afford that so unless you’re totally dedicated the AL would be an acceptable alternative, it’s good to have a choice.

ken
Ken, I completely agree with your words. I was outraged by the premium label on the box. The model from AL is rather middle-class, for beginners. Although the price for it is not small. And the master who made the test assembly for the
official video preview should tear off his hands.

Ken, I completely agree with your words. I was outraged by the premium label on the box. The model from AL is rather middle-class, for beginners. Although the price for it is not small. And the master who made the test assembly for the
official video preview should tear off his hands.
Hi, I was very impressed with the model of the Vasa that you showed and would like to know more about the kit, ( or is it scratch built ) I assume that it is from ZHL but a search of their site only shows the carvings. I fall into your category of needing to tear off my hands when it comes to building excellence but I can always dream, do you know where I could find some information about it.
Thanks. Ken

Hi, I was very impressed with the model of the Vasa that you showed and would like to know more about the kit, ( or is it scratch built ) I assume that it is from ZHL but a search of their site only shows the carvings. I fall into your category of needing to tear off my hands when it comes to building excellence but I can always dream, do you know where I could find some information about it.
Thanks. Ken
I believe those magnificent carvings are after market carvings for the Corel or any other 1/75 Vasa model and the 1/48 carvings are for a scratch built model.

Thanks. Ken

As I am in the middle of building the Vasa from DeAgostini I thought I would weigh in.

The DeAg Vasa is produced behind the scenes by Artesania. It would seem that their contract with DeAg has run its course and they are now offering the kit under their own label. From the video I would conclude that they are offering essentially the same kit/instructions etc. though modified slightly in format. They are charging a bit less than DeAgostini but it is still quite expensive ($900 ish).

I am not a 'premium' builder but I happen to agree with @Mr.Deep that the 'premium' stamp on the box cover might be misleading. This kit and its instructions place a priority on buildability over historical accuracy and detailing. I don't know if the wood provided with this kit is the same as that provided through DeAg but I have found it necessary to replace much of what is supplied. If you look at the images carefully you will notice that almost everything is painted. This hides the fact that the kit components are not intended for a traditional wooden presentation.

With that in mind this kit is very suitable for a beginning modeler who intends to build a painted ship. The castings are better than what could be carved by all but an expert carver and are a faithful (though simplified) reproduction of what is on the original ship.

As a beginning modeler myself I have appreciated the ‘buildability’ aspects and have accepted that to build what I have in my imagination will require upgrades to the kit components. This actually doesn’t really bother me - it is simply the cost of playing the game. Plus, by the time my build is done the cost per hour spent will be negligible. The joy this project has given me cannot have a price attached to it.

As I am in the middle of building the Vasa from DeAgostini I thought I would weigh in.

The DeAg Vasa is produced behind the scenes by Artesania. It would seem that their contract with DeAg has run its course and they are now offering the kit under their own label. From the video I would conclude that they are offering essentially the same kit/instructions etc. though modified slightly in format. They are charging a bit less than DeAgostini but it is still quite expensive ($900 ish).

I am not a 'premium' builder but I happen to agree with @Mr.Deep that the 'premium' stamp on the box cover might be misleading. This kit and its instructions place a priority on buildability over historical accuracy and detailing. I don't know if the wood provided with this kit is the same as that provided through DeAg but I have found it necessary to replace much of what is supplied. If you look at the images carefully you will notice that almost everything is painted. This hides the fact that the kit components are not intended for a traditional wooden presentation.

With that in mind this kit is very suitable for a beginning modeler who intends to build a painted ship. The castings are better than what could be carved by all but an expert carver and are a faithful (though simplified) reproduction of what is on the original ship.

As a beginning modeler myself I have appreciated the ‘buildability’ aspects and have accepted that to build what I have in my imagination will require upgrades to the kit components. This actually doesn’t really bother me - it is simply the cost of playing the game. Plus, by the time my build is done the cost per hour spent will be negligible. The joy this project has given me cannot have a price attached to it.
i
I fully agree. I have had two very bad experience with DeAgostini. The last one was Soleigh royal -parts from Occre - 3,5 years to get all the pieces, and Instruction Plan comes with the last deliveries. 950 € +plus all the extra materials as Wood Planks, glues etc, but there were too many mistakes in the instruction plans. My German friend- the one with Dry Bending -has built the Wasa with a very good result. He builds about 3 ships at the time, as pieces come quarterly, so when waiting for parts for the build, he goes on with the next ans one.
I will NOT RECOMMEND this company. Artesania Latina has general quite a range in the range 4-500€. 900 or more is far too much compared with Amati new product Range -Manoli. After 3 Years I frankly dismantled the Ship, only the Fig. Gun port and other Metallic parts I still have. The rest was destroyed and to the been.

30-06-14 008.jpg083.jpg

Artesania was never a premium brand, even earlier in their original state they produced less-than-mid-range-quality kits. This situatoon has even worsened as a few years ago the moved all their activities into China, as they honestly said, just to make money. They are light years behind the current top of the range Chinese kits.
János

Artesania was never a premium brand, even earlier in their original state they produced less-than-mid-range-quality kits. This situatoon has even worsened as a few years ago the moved all their activities into China, as they honestly said, just to make money. They are light years behind the current top of the range Chinese kits.
János
As I have not built the 6 Years, I have contact with Artesania Latina. I have built-in my time a few. The last one was "San Jusan Nepusano. A little to much Metal, but not that bad. It was/ is in the middle Class Are-. or has been until now- about 400 €, but 900 € is far too hign. I have build 50+and have been living in Spain for 45+ Years -a Country very much into shipbuilding. Manufacturers Artesania Latina, Occre, Constructo and 5 very professional Shops- only dedicating to the Model building - Train, cars, Ship plastic and Wood and with an extraordinary amount of fitting or accessories not only for the models they were selling but 2 had there own production. Model Reyna and Hobby Guinea still exist.
I have over the time here in Spain build from Middle Price Kits, as I do NOT have ant Electric Tools except Dremels. This means that use maybe 30-49% of Kits (mainly all Laser Cut parts) and then go my own way

I can't believe my eyes!And this is called premium class?Squalor!Last century!Any model from Master Shipbuilder or Falconet will give you 100 points of handicap.You can scold me for saying that.

it was not the premium label that i find outrageous it is this FULLY DETAILED MUSEUM QUALITY REPLICA that caught my eye

really? are you kidding me?

Artesania was never a premium brand, even earlier in their original state they produced less-than-mid-range-quality kits. This situation has even worsened as a few years ago the moved all their activities into China, as they honestly said, just to make money. They are light years behind the current top of the range Chinese kits.

so actually Artesania is a made in China kit company

museum quality.JPG

in this case there is a museum dedicated to the VASA so to verify the companies claim FULLY DETAILED MUSEUM QUALITY REPLICA all they need to do is contact the museum to get their endorsement and statement that the kit is a museum quality product.

there are very high standards for a replica and reproduction so does the kit meet these standards?

You bring up an interesting notion Dave. I know from the Vasa Museum forums that Fred Hocker participated in the design of this kit. Fred oversees the archeology of the ship itself and is the author of the technical tome: Vasa I (and the pending Vasa II). So, there is at least an association with the museum (or at least with Fred). Which still leaves us with the dilemma of using the ill-defined terms 'museum quality' and 'premium.'

I'm a novice builder and even I can tell you it is not a replica in the way that word would be understood in common parlance. Indeed, I have line drawings from Fred that I am using to bring my model closer to the original vessel (and if I can see the differences I shudder to think how many differences are present when an expert builder looks at those drawings as compared to the kit).

I work in a regulated industry and we have standards we must adhere to with regards to what we say about ourselves. Obviously nothing like that exists in the model ship world???

I work in a regulated industry and we have standards we must adhere to with regards to what we say about ourselves. Obviously nothing like that exists in the model ship world???

the world of model ships, as a hobby, never had what we can call a governing body your right there is no one to define "museum quality" or any other terms used either in advertising or quality standards. It is a free for all.

in the case of any project from the original concept and design to the finished product many compromises are made for example to meet production cost.

in this case the claim FULLY DETAILED MUSEUM QUALITY REPLICA may fall in the ball park sort of.

the world of model ships, as a hobby, never had what we can call a governing body your right there is no one to define "museum quality" or any other terms used either in advertising or quality standards. It is a free for all.

in the case of any project from the original concept and design to the finished product many compromises are made for example to meet production cost.

in this case the claim FULLY DETAILED MUSEUM QUALITY REPLICA may fall in the ball park sort of.
I fully agree with You. I was around nearly when this Industry started as FUN 1950TH, as The one who started was "Erling Billund" of whom I learned to know personally, shortly he left this World with a Heart attack. He builds in his free time a typical Danish Fisher Cutter about 1956. One day a photographer and Reporter came by Mr Erllngs Wife Toy Shop, where the cutter ( today with the name Mary Ann). The Reporter on the spot asked for 59 Models, so Erling had to find a quicker solution. That was the start, and they were the only ones but forgot to make a Patent, so after his far too early death, so I th9ink it was Amati plus another company who started, as the Widow and Son were not able to run the business. At that time and still their Fishing vessels. The Nadcap or Norden are a very good and cheap model. Engines, battery etc can be inserted, so that not only the screw runs but navigation, wheelhouse light `radar. I have nearly all their Building instruction which I must agree that they are lousy. there is now a new owner so new models are coming and some which went our are coming back. I made the which today is called Nordkap and Mary ANN-I am from a pure fisherman Family about 1968. in 1978 I was destinated by the Company to go to Spain and has been here since. I finished my 1Th Norske Love 1976-1978, so it made the journey from Copenhagen to Madrid
You are COMPLETELY right, that there are control organs, to control quality and advertising. Altaya/ DeAgostini is for the moment in Facebook a heavy sales campaign with a Spanish Ship "SAN FELIPE" to the modest price of 950€ -even as a gift I would NOT touch it
Sorry for this long story, but as I been around since the beginning. on the pic my wife and about 1-year old daughter so it must be late 1975. On Top of the Bookshelves, the 1Th NORDKAP and beside Cutty Sark. my 1Th Norske Love and the klink buildt Coasboot Bent
One question: Why are Build -about 30 never mentioned here??

42-SKJULHOJ.jpg

01 Norske love 1.jpg

BLOKHUS 2.jpg

BLOKHUS 3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back