New wood modeller from UK

Hello all,

New wooden ship/boat kit modeler from the UK here, I've been scale modeling for many years almost exclusively with plastic but across pretty much all genres. I have just started with my first wooden boat kit in the shape of Artesania Latina's Endeavour's Longboat and, whilst enjoying the learning curve and the many different challenges it presents, I am also busy soaking up as much knowledge from around the www as possible.
The main reason I am venturing into the world of wooden kit building is that ultimately I would like to build the Caldercraft Mary Rose. I was extremely fortunate to spend some time working in the Mary Rose Trust's drawing office as a student Technical Illustrator for a work placement from Portsmouth College of Art way back in 1983 and although only a tenuous link have maintained an interest in the famous ship ever since.
I have been extremely impressed with the skills and techniques on display from the modelers at Ships of Scale and am looking forward to interacting with you all.

Cheers,

Mark.

Welcome. I am building the Mary Rose at the moment and have a build log on the go - but don't let that put you off.

@pianoforte @Graham & @Sulaire, many thanks for your warm welcome. Graham I have been checking out your Mary Rose build log and well...pretty amazing stuff It'll be many practice builds before I get anywhere near that level of detailing and quality, but I will continue to follow in the hope of gleaning the inspiration required to tackle such a complex subject.
Cheers,
Mark.

Hallo Mark,
first of all a warm welcome here on board of our forum.
I am happy to hear, that you want to get experiences in ship modeling with your longboat kit in order to get enough practice for the Mary Rose.
It would be very helpful for you, to start a building log of your longboat showing your working steps. We are all here to help and assist, so we could give hints and tips, and also comments and giving answers, if there are any questions coming up. When ever requested and necessary we are here to help.

Hi Mark, we will have been in Portsmouth around the same time. I was living in a flat in Elm Grove through the 80's and watched the raising of the Mary Rose on TV enjoying a beer on our flat roof! I started modeling with the Endeavour's Longboat, learnt a lot. I wanted to tackle something 'intermediate' before taking on the Mary Rose however I think Covid-19 was causing distribution problems and I couldn't get the ones I was after so I jumped straight in and bought the Caldercraft Mary Rose in May '20. There are some photos on here under "hello-from-the-north-of-england-almost-scotland". Since posting those I've tackled the rigging, perhaps 2 weeks work to complete. When I started I swore I'd never touch another rigged vessel, however 3 months later I've once again learnt an enormous amount, made lots of mistakes and now would quite like to tackle another rigged ship and finish it properly!!
Enjoy the build.
John

Hi Mark, we will have been in Portsmouth around the same time. I was living in a flat in Elm Grove through the 80's and watched the raising of the Mary Rose on TV enjoying a beer on our flat roof! I started modeling with the Endeavour's Longboat, learnt a lot. I wanted to tackle something 'intermediate' before taking on the Mary Rose however I think Covid-19 was causing distribution problems and I couldn't get the ones I was after so I jumped straight in and bought the Caldercraft Mary Rose in May '20. There are some photos on here under "hello-from-the-north-of-england-almost-scotland". Since posting those I've tackled the rigging, perhaps 2 weeks work to complete. When I started I swore I'd never touch another rigged vessel, however 3 months later I've once again learnt an enormous amount, made lots of mistakes and now would quite like to tackle another rigged ship and finish it properly!!
Enjoy the build.
John
Hi John,
Thanks for your message. good to hear from someone in Pompey at the same time. I knew Elm Grove well, my then Girlfriend worked at one of the restaurants down there, can't remember the name (the restaurant, not the girl ;)) spent many hours in the Eldon arms and the India, just a stones throw from the art college. I shared digs in Clovelly road with a bunch of mechanical engineers from the Poly, so you can imagine the amount of stick they gave an art student!
I was very lucky to get the opportunity to do some work albeit very minor on the Mary Rose and really should have addressed the concept of building my own model of it years ago but it all goes by so fast work, marriage, mortgage, kids..etc...etc.
I'll be sure to check out your build as I am becoming more and more determined to get on with one.
all the best,
Mark.

Hi John,
Thanks for your message. good to hear from someone in Pompey at the same time. I knew Elm Grove well, my then Girlfriend worked at one of the restaurants down there, can't remember the name (the restaurant, not the girl ;)) spent many hours in the Eldon arms and the India, just a stones throw from the art college. I shared digs in Clovelly road with a bunch of mechanical engineers from the Poly, so you can imagine the amount of stick they gave an art student!
I was very lucky to get the opportunity to do some work albeit very minor on the Mary Rose and really should have addressed the concept of building my own model of it years ago but it all goes by so fast work, marriage, mortgage, kids..etc...etc.
I'll be sure to check out your build as I am becoming more and more determined to get on with one.
all the best,
Mark.
Ah! "The Eldon Road Campus" of the Poly - The Barley Mow, The India (good Jazz band on one night a week) Scotts and The Eldon!!! We lived in the flat above the outboard motor shop on Elm Grove, opposite what is now a snooker hall.
Take care!
John

Back