Newb builds a Dory! [COMPLETED BUILD]

The Dory is finished, except for the beckets. The rope they supplied is more like Cable than rope. I’ll be looking to pick something more suitable for the beckets!
Constructible criticism welcomed!

View attachment 351399

View attachment 351400

View attachment 351401

View attachment 351402

View attachment 351403

View attachment 351404

View attachment 351405

View attachment 351406

View attachment 351407

View attachment 351408
I would like to post your pictures at Model Shipways / Model Expo website

I really appreciate your detailed build log. I just hit a point on this build that made me think I messed up and mis-aligned the height of the transom and how the sheer strake aligns with the stern cleat…but based on your detailed photos I think I might be ok and just having beginner’s panic.

I really appreciate your detailed build log. I just hit a point on this build that made me think I messed up and mis-aligned the height of the transom and how the sheer strake aligns with the stern cleat…but based on your detailed photos I think I might be ok and just having beginner’s panic.
Please post a picture maybe I or we can help!

Please post a picture maybe I or we can help!
Sure. I flipped the model over to try and get a better angle on the spot. I was dry fitting the sheer strake when I noticed it. Based on photos in the instructions I thought the top of the sheer strake should be level with the top of the stern cleat. If that’s accurate then I need to tear out the transom and realign it.

9EA6F6EF-14ED-4180-AD98-7E95FBCA4761.jpeg

Nice build, I was wondering what kit you were building. I now see the 3 model skill building kit you got on Model Expo… and it’s on sale! Thanks.
ITS EXCELLENT FOR STARTING OUT. I HAVE LEARNED ALOT AND I'M ALMOST FINISHED WITH THE SECOND KIT AND WILL BE STARTING THE 3RD ONE SHORTLY. IVE ENJOYED EVERY MOMENT IVE BEEN BUILDING THEM. GOOD LUCK IF YOU INTEND ON STARTING THEM AND REMEMBER THERE IS PLENTY OF KNOWLEDGE ON THIS FORUM TO HELP YOU WITH ANY PROBLEMS YOU MAY COME ACROSS. JUST ASK! Ship-1

Sure. I flipped the model over to try and get a better angle on the spot. I was dry fitting the sheer strake when I noticed it. Based on photos in the instructions I thought the top of the sheer strake should be level with the top of the stern cleat. If that’s accurate then I need to tear out the transom and realign it.

View attachment 359102
IT LOOKS LIKE YOUR SPOT ON DONT FORGET YOU STILL HAVE THE CAP RAIL TO GO ON ALSO LOOK AT THE PROFILE IN THE INSTRUCTION BOOK I THINK YOUR SPOT ON AND DONT HAVE TO MESS WITH IT!

IT LOOKS LIKE YOUR SPOT ON DONT FORGET YOU STILL HAVE THE CAP RAIL TO GO ON ALSO LOOK AT THE PROFILE IN THE INSTRUCTION BOOK I THINK YOUR SPOT ON AND DONT HAVE TO MESS WITH IT!
Music to my ears! I probably should have grabbed the cap rail to see how it lines in too. It’s been a fairly enjoyable build!…well, all except for that one day I snapped the stem while putting rubber bands on and had to fix it. But otherwise having a great set of instructions and good quality parts is quite the positive experience!

Back