Newbie in Frederick MD

Hi all. I was glad to find this excellent forum. I'm also a member of Model Ship World-- always glad to find more people with common interests.
I'm a retired podiatrist/OR nurse and love using my hands to make things.
Many years ago I bought and started the Mamoli USS Constitution cross section,finishing the frame and internal and external planking which was easy since the planks are all straight pieces. As I pondered the kit further I realized there were tons of things I had no idea how to do, and this was pre-internet days so I had no good resources for learning. The kit sat unfinished on the shelf for many years.
We moved from upstate NY to Maryland. I still had a love of wooden ships and was thrilled to learn about the Pride of Baltimore II. Man, that sleek hull and sharply raked masts just spoke to me, and I had to build her. I pulled Connie out of drydock and took up the work again aided by previous builders' logs. I'm ready to do the standing rigging but I'm waiting for Syren to re open so I can get some black rope. I've used the kit supplied cordage to practice shrouds,deadeyes,and ratlines. These are among the things that scared me off so many years ago and I'm happy to report that I've installed (temporarily) one full set of those with pretty satisfactory results. I'm confident that the rest will go well. I have a build log over on Model Ship World; would it be proper to post a link to that here?
I already have a Pride Of Baltimore kit waiting in drydock and am eager to get to it!

Welcome aboard!We would love to see your builds in a build log,no problem if your are ahead of your builds ,just start your log where you are the moment or post some images from the start too,it is your choice.

Glad you made the voyage to the SoS forums, as said just start a build log and show what you have done.

One of the best things I have learned here is to just post a question and you will get answers on what to do or what people think of your work. Everybody is eager to help and share knowledge here.

There are also many sections with great how to information available to read and learn from videos or YouTube links.

Welcome, looking forward to your building log, greeting from Norway-

Also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum

If it's OK to post this, here's my build log so far from Model Ship World. I'm finding MSW and SOS to be wonderful resources, with plenty of helpful,friendly people!

Welcome aboard!
You have landed in a rather unique area for your picked up again hobby!!!!!

Here in the DC area have a very wonderful and active model ship society. The Washington Ship Model Society has been in existence since 1929. We have several members that build models for the Naval Academy in Annapolis, including 2 that live in the Frederick area!
I have found all members to be extremely helpful with any build, no matter how small or level of experience. The two in your area have helped me through several hurdles and roadblocks I have come across.
We meet the second Saturday of every month and alternate between MD and VA.
Please give our website a look, https://www.dcshipmodelsociety.org/.

When the lock down is over, I really look forward to meeting you at an a upcoming meeting.

Welcome aboard!
You have landed in a rather unique area for your picked up again hobby!!!!!

Here in the DC area have a very wonderful and active model ship society. The Washington Ship Model Society has been in existence since 1929. We have several members that build models for the Naval Academy in Annapolis, including 2 that live in the Frederick area!
When the lock down is over, I really look forward to meeting you at an a upcoming meeting.
Thanks for the information about the ship model society. I'd love to meet other ship builders and see what they've created. See you there!

Hi all. I was glad to find this excellent forum. I'm also a member of Model Ship World-- always glad to find more people with common interests.
I'm a retired podiatrist/OR nurse and love using my hands to make things.
Many years ago I bought and started the Mamoli USS Constitution cross section,finishing the frame and internal and external planking which was easy since the planks are all straight pieces. As I pondered the kit further I realized there were tons of things I had no idea how to do, and this was pre-internet days so I had no good resources for learning. The kit sat unfinished on the shelf for many years.
We moved from upstate NY to Maryland. I still had a love of wooden ships and was thrilled to learn about the Pride of Baltimore II. Man, that sleek hull and sharply raked masts just spoke to me, and I had to build her. I pulled Connie out of drydock and took up the work again aided by previous builders' logs. I'm ready to do the standing rigging but I'm waiting for Syren to re open so I can get some black rope. I've used the kit supplied cordage to practice shrouds,deadeyes,and ratlines. These are among the things that scared me off so many years ago and I'm happy to report that I've installed (temporarily) one full set of those with pretty satisfactory results. I'm confident that the rest will go well. I have a build log over on Model Ship World; would it be proper to post a link to that here?
I already have a Pride Of Baltimore kit waiting in drydock and am eager to get to it!
Hallo @Brewerpaul
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Thanks-- speaking of my birthday, I spent my birthday and the two following days on the 1:1 scale Pride of Baltimore II !! My wife and I were part of a "guest crew" cruise from Chestertown MD to Baltimore. A dream of a lifetime come true. I learned so much about how these wonderful wooden ships functioned and how the crew worked with precision and efficiency to make it happen. I took a bunch of pictures, and will be glad to post some here. If any POB II modelers would like to see specific details, I'll try to supply them.

Thanks-- speaking of my birthday, I spent my birthday and the two following days on the 1:1 scale Pride of Baltimore II !! My wife and I were part of a "guest crew" cruise from Chestertown MD to Baltimore. A dream of a lifetime come true. I learned so much about how these wonderful wooden ships functioned and how the crew worked with precision and efficiency to make it happen. I took a bunch of pictures, and will be glad to post some here. If any POB II modelers would like to see specific details, I'll try to supply them.
Lucky you - such a trip is also one of my wishes for the future
We are all looking forward to see your photos of this trip (and the ship), maybe you start a topic here:

Back