Newbie rigging question

I am building the bark Endeavor from AL. Very bad directions, all black and white fuzzy photos and bad English etc. I am ready to rig. I plan to build the Bowsprit, masts and yards, rig them with standing and running rigging then mount them on the ship. Do I put on the sails before I mount the Masts? I am planning on mounting the Bowsprit first, then foremast and on back.

Suggestions welcome. Thanks.

There is a careful balance in choosing your assembly steps between ease of assembly and ease of installation. Some modelers do hang all the ropes for the standing and running rigging from the masts, but are very meticulous in labelling each line with tags. Doing it this way can turn into a tangled mess if you are not careful. Most people set the masts in place after installing all the blocks on the yards, and sometimes with the running rigging attached to the mast assemblies, and then rig the standing rigging with all the running rigging lines hanging out of the way until later.

It becomes difficult to tie the lines to the belaying points on the rails, knightheads, and belaying pin racks while keeping the lines at the proper tension. It is much easier to secure the bottom ends of each running rigging line to the belaying point, and tie the opposite end to where it attaches to a yard or stay up higher, and the tension you want is easily maintained.

The best way I know takes a LOT of planning ahead and labelling the running rigging lines with paper tags. before setting the masts, ensure all blocks are attached to the yards, and the yards are installed. Also, tie all the running rigging lines to their belaying points on the hull. Use some thread to temporarily hold these loose ropes in groups hanging over the side so they don't get tangled. Install the masts and yards, rig the standing rigging, then start running the running rigging ropes for lifts and ties to support yardarms, and cargo hoists up through the blocks to their tie off points on the yards/staylines/whatever. Then attach the sails and rig sheets, clewlines, bowlines, and other lines used to control the sails. Yes, the shrouds and ratlines will become and obstruction to accessing the deck, and there's no getting around that. Start rigging with the highest sails and work downward, which will allow you the most access to the deck and belaying points for a longer time in the process, since the courses make access even worse. I usually rig the sails on the bowsprit, then the foremast, mainmast, and mizzen mast in that order. because of the difficulty in rigging a lateen sail on the mizzen mast, you may rig that before you rig the main course so you have more access with your tools and fingers to the deck that way. Always rig brace lines for controlling the angle of the yardarms last, since they would get in the way if rigged earlier.

Note: If you are angling your yardarms at an angle other than perpendicular to the hull, you should use a length of thread to install temporary braces to hold the yardarms in position at the proper angle and you rig the running rigging, or the running rigging will not have the correct tension. I usually tie a length of thread to a yard arm and run it forward, tying the other end to a mast or top or whatever works, and tension it to provide the desired yard angle. Then install running rigging. That way, all the yard on a mast have the same angle from top to bottom, and there is no stress on the yardarms and consequently its corresponding lifts, ties, and parrel. You don't want to break anything.

No matter what order you use on the first ship, you will change your order slightly for the next one in order to avoid some of the difficulties in access to tie-off points and running the ropes through tops and between the tangle of lines as things get closer to the end. I use a length of wire with a narrow loop bent on one end to draw lines through the tops. It's an invaluable tool to fishing the lines through places you can no longer get your fingers, tweezers, or forceps into. May the gods of patience be with you, and may fortune ever be in your favor.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply. With this information, I may actually be able to rig the ship and still like afterwards.

Hi, I agree that starting with the bowsprit and working aft is the best approach. I know that most resources and a lot of people say you should rig the masts before attaching them to the ship, but I've always built up the masts and then done the standing rigging then attach the spars and do the running rigging. It just seems to work better.

Thanks for the information. The more opinions I can get will lead to a successful rigging experience. I would imagine that the rigger’s eyesight, manual dexterity and experience will determine what method works best for the individual.

Hi, I install the standing rigging in conjunction with the installation of the masts and bowsprit. The purpose of the standing rigging in the real ship is to support and stabilize the masts, and that's how I employ it in my models. So I work from the deck up. First the lower masts and bowsprit go in. then their shrouds and stays go in an serve to fine tune the final position of the masts and bowsprit. Now I know these elements are precisely aligned with each other and are at the correct rake angle and position, etc. So then I can install top masts, and maybe the jib boom, knowing that I am working from a good stable and accurate foundation. Then I add the running rigging for the top masts, etc, and pull those elements into their exact final positions and alignment before moving on to topgallant and royal masts, etc, etc, etc. The yards, booms, and running rigging are largely put off until last. To me, the advantages have seemed obvious. Hope this may be helpful for you too.

Hi, I install the standing rigging in conjunction with the installation of the masts and bowsprit. The purpose of the standing rigging in the real ship is to support and stabilize the masts, and that's how I employ it in my models. So I work from the deck up. First the lower masts and bowsprit go in. then their shrouds and stays go in an serve to fine tune the final position of the masts and bowsprit. Now I know these elements are precisely aligned with each other and are at the correct rake angle and position, etc. So then I can install top masts, and maybe the jib boom, knowing that I am working from a good stable and accurate foundation. Then I add the running rigging for the top masts, etc, and pull those elements into their exact final positions and alignment before moving on to topgallant and royal masts, etc, etc, etc. The yards, booms, and running rigging are largely put off until last. To me, the advantages have seemed obvious. Hope this may be helpful for you too.
Agreed! Standing rigging you install from the deck and move up. Running rigging for me is best installed from the top, moving downward. Funny how that works. It's all about maximizing access for your fingers and tools.

Last edited:
Lots of good advice and explanations. I’m a bit new to this but like the installation of mast and standing rigging on ship. I don’t really like the idea of trying to figure out line lengths with not actual ship attached to my masts. That’s just me though.

Wow! I made a pretty serious typo above when I was describing my approach to rigging. When I said, "So then I can install the top masts and maybe the jib boom," The following sentence SHOULD say, Then I add the STANDING RIGGING for the topmasts, etc. That was such a ridiculous error, you probably figured it out anyway. I think I used to make mistakes like that even when I was a youngster, but I can't quite remember.

Lots of good advice and explanations. I’m a bit new to this but like the installation of mast and standing rigging on ship. I don’t really like the idea of trying to figure out line lengths with not actual ship attached to my masts. That’s just me though.
That's precisely why I rig with the masts installed. You have no idea how much line you'll need for a clew line, for example. Frequently, kits give you PRECISELY enough line to complete the model and no more. They certainly ration the wood strips for planking. Toward the end of rigging, it gets VERY difficult to access the belaying points to start running a new line. If you have tons of line to spare, it might be worth tying it to the belaying points before the masts and yards crowd you out from the deck.

Rigging thread can be relatively inexpensive or expensive depending upon that you want.... If you hunt around you can fine it cheap. Everytime I go into a hobby store,,,I'm always looking for thread.... Over the years, acquired quite a variation. Look on the internet... supply is un ending...and it comes right to your house..... Buy it in quantity. I'm working on a Mamoli Victory at the moment and I got screwed. What they gave me had no black for standing rigging what so ever. What they gave me for the running might work.... maybe

For thinner rigging line I go to my local sewing store. They have plenty of thread thicknesses in any colour you could want. The thickest is maybe 1mm so for larger rigging you need to buy elsewhere or make it yourself with a ropewalk machine. Something I will most likely never do, though hats off to those of you that do make your own rigging line.

All the advice above is spot on. Blocks installed on masts, spars, booms and yards prior to installation. As for rigging, personally I start at the midships and work my way out whenever possible. That way you don't have to reach around your previous rigging or superstructure. One thing to watch out for is tension. Always match what you are rigging on the port side with what you have just completed on the starboard side. Same for bow vs. stern. It's easy to accidentally cause a mast to "lean" slightly without noticing it. Long after I finished my AL Endeavor I noticed that the mizzen had been pulled a miniscule amount (maybe 1 degree?) toward the stern. Only another ship modeller might notice it but it made me nuts and was a HUGE task to fix. Good luck!

Once again, great ideas, Thank You. I will adapt my bad eyesight and shaky fingers in the easiest way for me to do by employing a little advice from everybody.

Back