Newbie's first build

Hello everyone,

Well as I mentioned in my introduction I picked up a 1:65 Black Pearl from ZHL because I love the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. It of course was an impulse buy but I really do want to build the ship and because I want to do a good job building it I have a question.
Is this kit suitable for a first time builder like myself ?

I will mention that I have experience building complex multi-material kits for F-1 race cars so I'm pretty good at detail work and I use to build actual wooden race boats (C & D class hydroplanes) but I have no experience building scale wooden model ships.

I bend to the expertise here at Ships of Scale, if you agree that the Pearl is ok for a first build then I'll give it a go. If however it's suggested that I get my feet wet on an easier build to learn what skills must be learned then I'm good with that too and request suggestions as to what that first build should be.

While I chose the Pearl because of the movie I have been looking at other kits for future builds and my interest lies more towards historic war ships (ie: HMS Victory, HMS Surprise, HMS Diana etc). This is to say that while I'd have no problem building a "starter ship" to learn I'd want it to be something that I would actually like and be happy to display not just some simple fishing boat.

Welcome aboard SOS, Instructorken. We have many build logs of BP from ZHL. I hope members will chime in soon, to answer your question. Until then, check our members' log

Thanks for those links, I will definitely take a look at them in great detail.

It will be a few weeks before I could start work on a ship anyway as I have 3 Porsche 956 race cars on my built table as it is.

Is this kit suitable for a first time builder like myself ?

I will mention that I have experience building complex multi-material kits for F-1 race cars so I'm pretty good at detail work and I use to build actual wooden race boats (C & D class hydroplanes) but I have no experience building scale wooden model ships.

I bend to the expertise here at Ships of Scale, if you agree that the Pearl is ok for a first build then I'll give it a go. If however it's suggested that I get my feet wet on an easier build to learn what skills must be learned then I'm good with that too and request suggestions as to what that first build should be.

if you have developed modeling skills from any project you should be fine building the Black Pearl. i would say if you never built a model then perhaps this is a little advanced.
There are two basic types of kits a plank on frame where you build all the hull frames and plank on bulkhead where you are using a center profile pieces and using bulkheads for the hull. Model ship kits follow the same construction methods. i would suggest you go through different build logs to get an idea of how to build ship kits. Planking the hull i think is the most tedious and difficult part of the build, there are build logs on how this is done so when you reach that stage stop and research the topic.

Back