Nikitin San Bartolome 1584 A.D. (Kit #35)

The start of a new adventure.

F95F69C0-A251-46B3-98AB-9D24745C151B.jpeg

The envisioned outcome of the kit.

E3F3D187-FC45-4FBC-A381-A63E3A58673D.jpeg

The kit components that arrived beautifully packed from the Ukraine. (Thank you Pavel and company)

B98D4E2C-EE09-4292-BD74-E49217A3267E.jpeg

The start of the slipway jig.

38B269B7-B21E-43D1-B844-679E7486EFFA.jpeg

One piece done, lots more to go. The parts need a wee bit of sanding, shaping and several trial fits before final ”permanent” glue fix.

For those not familiar with this kit

9047897D-9CDD-44A1-A938-0AB27A244233.jpeg

The slipway that is under construction.

I will post as I complete various stages of the build but it will be here and there since I have three other builds in progress.

I started this log hoping that others who have or will have received their kits will also start build logs. Maybe the “Admins” will consider sponsoring a GROUP BUILD.

Enjoy

Jan

Congratulations on the new build, Jan. I will certainly tag along. It is interesting that the vessel is billed as a galleon. To me she looks remarkably like the Gulden Windhont that was part of the 7-ship fleet of Willem Barentsz's second expedition.

Gulden Windhont.png

Jan,
Seems to me I recently read your post saying something like “just a few pieces put together” :)
Looks as though you convinced the Admiral to allow you to continue with another build.
We all know when we acquire new wood we can’t resist.
Looks like an interesting build, I’ll certainly pull up a chair.

Congratulations on the new build, Jan. I will certainly tag along. It is interesting that the vessel is billed as a galleon. To me she looks remarkably like the Gulden Windhont that was part of the 7-ship fleet of Willem Barentsz's second expedition.

View attachment 336099

I have to agree. It’s curious as the “Ocean Going” versus “Hugging the shore” shipbuilding evolved from the “Cogs, Gallees, etc.” that various shipbuilding countries “Borrowed” techniques and incorporated those in their designs. I ’ve been fascinated for years by ships from the Templar era. Especially the Cogs. I’ts hard to imagine the fleets they deployed for the three crusades. The number and types of vessels has always been some of my favorite historical reading.

Last edited:
Jan,
Seems to me I recently read your post saying something like “just a few pieces put together” :)
Looks as though you convinced the Admiral to allow you to continue with another build.
We all know when we acquire new wood we can’t resist.
Looks like an interesting build, I’ll certainly pull up a chair.
Yup, guilty, guilty, guilty. The little guy with the pitchfork on my left shoulder out talked the little guy with the “halo” on my right shoulder. I was also trying to convert one of my boys to this wonderful hobby by “doing just a few pieces” and “ the Admiral” was visiting her sister for a couple of days. So …….:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

YUP, GUILTY, GUILTY, GUILTY

Last edited:
Hi,i have looked at a lot of it at Youtube
Did you get the Nr.2 instructions?
I have also looked at the Youtube videos many times. I have not received the second set of instructions but then I won’t need them for quite some time. My current plan is to complete the slipway and then work on the Galleon as time permits. I have three other builds in progress.

I was ”ONLY” going to assemble one more of these yesterday while watching a football game on the TV. Game was terrible, not much action, so I switched channels to Youtube and Pavel’s how to videos. Next thing you know ……C9DAA101-AE14-43A3-A2C1-D195CFBD45EF.jpeg

Now I need to start on the base.

To be continued.

Jan

Very impressive thingy-ma-jigs that you are building there, Jan!

Very impressive thingy-ma-jigs that you are building there, Jan!
Indeed, I haven’t a clue as to what they are called. The two towers on left are for the bow and stern and allow rotation of hull when its clamped in place. The two towers on the right will hold the hull when it’s rotated parallel to the slipway. The two “clamps” in the front are to hold the keel to the slipway.

It is going to be a “BIG” model.

Please provide your thoughts on this style of base with rotating end supports, I have seen it in a few kits, and also some companies sell stand alone kits to hold and rotate the ship as work is completed on the hull and decks.

Kurt
When I get it all assembled I will share what I think. The assembly is straight forward, all the parts fit snug and tight.

Jan, step away from the new kit and finish what you already started ROTF.
I wish I could but I"m SURROUNDED by what I've started. I think I need to start something else to keep my mind occupied :eek::oops::rolleyes:

Seriously though I'm getting back on track after I finish this slipway jig. Wanted to see how much building pace this monster will need.

Please provide your thoughts on this style of base with rotating end supports, I have seen it in a few kits, and also some companies sell stand alone kits to hold and rotate the ship as work is completed on the hull and decks.

Kurt
Hi Kurt, I am building such a device. I hope it works and that it makes the work a lot easier, we will see.

Back