NordlandsBoat -1:20 - Billing Boats [COMPLETED BUILD]

A new shipyard to change a little bit the stones...
This is the BillingBoats kit of a boat that you don't see much: a Nordlandsboat!
Direct descendant of the landskips of the peoples of Northern Europe.

nordlandsbaaden-rybarsky-clun-1-22.jpg

The Nordlandsbaaden is a type of boat from Nordland, northern Norway, and dates from the 17th century. As a fishing boat, it had its most popular days from the 18th century until the appearance of motorized fishing boats. These boats were extremely efficient and seaworthy. They represent a culture and a form of expedition that originated in the Viking era. The boats are still built today, and they participate in races and regattas along the northern coasts.

i283163839572606057._szw1280h1280_.jpg220px-Femboring_med_raasegl_-_Braute_ved_Kvitvaer.png4637129346_819ad9bd3b_3k.jpg

I find these boats very elegant and racy. It is of course a clinker hull, I have not yet determined the colors I will put on it.
As it is a descendant of the knarr hulls, it will be a good start for the one I will make later...
And then, on a scale of 1:20, it allows you to do things !

Length: 710 mm
Height: 710 mm
Width: 160 mm

Beginning of construction :

P2280001.JPGP2280002.JPGP2280003.JPGP2280005.JPG

Last edited:
OH - I like this boat already - looking very interesting, especially it is also a clinkered hull like my project in moment
And a very interesting boat by itself - I am happy to follow your new project and hope to see often updates of your work :cool:

OH - I like this boat already - looking very interesting, especially it is also a clinkered hull like my project in moment
And a very interesting boat by itself - I am happy to follow your new project and hope to see often updates of your work :cool:
Yes, It is not an easy task to make clinker Hull. I made one ·Costboat Bent" 1992 as a gift to that eldest uncle, as he had when active a Cost boat like Bent. This is the only MODEL I know on that is still alive- in a Ship museum Norden Denmark (Hirtshals and still in some belongs to the family. On yje Pic 2 ihe one to the right is mu uncle. The pics are from where is Born-Blokhus facing the Noedsea.

Attachments

• BLOKHUS 2.jpg
    BLOKHUS 2.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 14
  • BLOKHUS 3.jpg
    BLOKHUS 3.jpg
    327.6 KB · Views: 14
  • BLOKHUS1.jpg
    BLOKHUS1.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 14
The hull planking is done: it was not an easy fight to convince each strake to take a place...!
The next step is to set up the inner frame... and to convince them to join the strakes: it will be another difficult thing.
For this boat, it's really naval carpentry ! :oops:
P3100001.JPGP3100003.JPGP3100004.JPGP3100005.JPG

Last edited:
Hallo @Ekis
seems, that you did not upload your photos in our forum, but use an external source...... so the photos are not visible (for me in moment)
Please be so kind and upload them here - than they are safe for all the time for all members
Many Thanks in advance

The continuation with :
- the complete nailing of the strakes,
- all the crosspieces in place (but not glued),
- the platform in front of the cabin created (knarr style, each board resting on a crossbeam),
- the bottom floor of the hull created (but not tinted or glued) in the form of removable gratings,
- the tinting of the interior only, the melter will come later on the whole once glued. :cool:

P3220001.JPGP3220002.JPGP3220003.JPGP3220004.JPGP3220005.JPGP3220006.JPG

The Nordlandsboat has taken some colors!

The exterior is painted in matte black and wood tint with fade, the strake in Nordic blue!
All the rails are still to come and will brighten up the edges, with a clay white tint like the cabin door frame.
The interior of the hull also received its floor tinted rather black gray, plus the deck in front of the cabin created (does not exist in the kit) with slats that rest on 2 of the crossbeams.

I'm going to start making the rear cabin.

P3280003.JPGP3280004.JPGP3280005.JPGP3280006.JPGP3280007.JPGP3280008.JPGP3280010.JPGP3280011.JPGP3280012.JPGP3280014.JPGP3280015.JPGP3280016.JPG

The Nordlandsboat has taken some colors!

The exterior is painted in matte black and wood tint with fade, the strake in Nordic blue!
All the rails are still to come and will brighten up the edges, with a clay white tint like the cabin door frame.
The interior of the hull also received its floor tinted rather black gray, plus the deck in front of the cabin created (does not exist in the kit) with slats that rest on 2 of the crossbeams.

I'm going to start making the rear cabin.

View attachment 223849View attachment 223850View attachment 223851View attachment 223852View attachment 223853View attachment 223854

I'm not sure I understand your question. But if you mean that the strakes are wider depending on the location on the whole length: yes, it is normal.
And especially towards the bow and the stern because the clapboard cover is less, or even non-existent near the keel! This is the way of the northern people to build these clapboard hulls. The overlaps are made according to the curvature of the hull, and not in a regular way: the width of the overlap from one strake to the other is preferred to an equal width of strake everywhere.
I hope this is the answer you were waiting for... :)

I'm not sure I understand your question. But if you mean that the strakes are wider depending on the location on the whole length: yes, it is normal.
And especially towards the bow and the stern because the clapboard cover is less, or even non-existent near the keel! This is the way of the northern people to build these clapboard hulls. The overlaps are made according to the curvature of the hull, and not in a regular way: the width of the overlap from one strake to the other is preferred to an equal width of strake everywhere.
I hope this is the answer you were waiting for... :)
This is a very well done model with excellent clinker strakes and painted finish. Looking forward to the masting and sails. Rich

A great finish - looking very good
Especially with the grey underwater painting we can see absolutely no damage of the planks - great (especially on the last photo)
Are the nails included in the kit? looking very good like small bolts Thumbsup

Thanks Uwe! :)
No, the nails are not included, of course, but I couldn't build a Nordic hull without putting the nails on the strakes!
Also, I won't use the sails provided with the kit, but I had them made by a friend who has the right skills...

The rear cabin will be covered with clapboard also like the real fembøring, the 2 crossbeams in front of the cabin form a deck that is not provided, and all the colors are personal!
Anyway, as usual, I'm going beyond the simple kit, otherwise it wouldn't be funny ! :cool:

Last edited:
Thanks Uwe! :)
No, the nails are not included, of course, but I couldn't build a Nordic hull without putting the nails on the strakes!
Also, I won't use the sails provided with the kit, but I had them made by a friend who has the right skills...

The rear cabin will be covered with clapboard also like the real fembøring, the 2 crossbeams in front of the cabin form a deck that is not provided, and all the colors are personal!
Anyway, as usual, I'm going beyond the simple kit, otherwise it wouldn't be funny ! :cool:
ho ho - so I am looking forward to see your friends sails - it is also something, which I can not do by myself ...

The colors continue to make this Nordland even more complete.

The cabin roof "with clinkers" questioned me a bit to know how to do it (the kit, of course, asked for everything flat without relation to the reality of these boats). So I finally proceeded flat to compose the offsets and keep a regularity.

Then, I had to glue this "plate", adjust, cut, glue, paint.

The bulwark rails are in place, the chainplates, the positions of the oarlocks, the dressing of the blue strake with black bands.

The rudder is done, the whole rudder will soon be in place.

It's going well! :cool:

P4020001.JPGP4020002.JPGP4020003.JPGP4020005.JPGP4020006.JPGP4020007.JPGP4020008.JPGP4030009.JPGP4030010.JPGP4030011.JPGP4030012.JPGP4030013.JPGP4030014.JPGP4030015.JPGP4030017.JPGP4030018.JPGP4030019.JPGP4030020.JPGP4030022.JPG

Back