NORFOLK Colonial Sloop - 1/64 scale

So why so small? I have just finished ENDEAVOUR in 1/64 and felt that I would like to do a relatively simple scratch build of an Australian vessel that I could show next to ENDEAVOUR in the same scale.
I have built a couple of POF ships boats for ENDEAVOUR and felt comfortable building such small vessels noting that the materials will be so much lighter/thinner.
WHY NORFOLK?
I did some searching on lone and came across the NORFOLK replica site. The storey of the NORFOLK is one of Australian Exploration and Bass and Flinders. If I could pull it off it would look fantastic as a scaled comparison between Cooks ship discovering Australia's east coats and the vessel used by Bass and Flinders to map the southern coastline.
I found some line drawings of the replica and although there is much discussion on the authenticity, I chose to follow it.
BUILDING A 1/64 TINY BOAT
Having built two POB kits I felt comfortable with a POB scratch build so I used the drawing to pull off bulkheads and eve intervals along the keel. I used the profile to create the false keel and then set out to cut out the parts on my Dremel scroll saw.
After cleaning up the parts with sanding block and 2mm chisel, I assembled the skeleton and was most surprised at the nice tight fit. Using 2mm ply means the skeleton is not particularly rigid so I needed a deck to stiffen the whole thing up.
I used the plan drawings for the deck and then scroll cut the deck from 1mm ply left over from my current BOUNTY build.
I glued this to the top of the skeleton and then fitted and sanded some bow blocks.
I am pretty happy with what I have achieved to date; after all this is the relatively easy part of the build.

it looks like NORFOLK had a full length bulwark which I will achieve in the same manner as I will for BOUNTY's. I will put fill pieces between each of the bulkheads then fit bulwark stanchions before planking.

IMG_0422.jpg

IMG_0421.jpg

Last edited:
this will be interesting to follow - such a small scratch model - your bulkhead structure is looking already very good

Well I seem to be in a rush as I have already filled, sanded, and fitted the deck to NORFOLK. I have also realised I have made a couple of rocky errors too.
1. The mast was positioned one frame too far forward.
2. The deck is positioned where the top of the bulwark should be......
Oh well, She will have a slightly deeper draft than the replica.....
I have also made up the mast, boom and bowsprit and one of the deck coamings for ladders to below decks.
I also have scale 5" planking in pear (offcuts from sawing the BOUNTY 6mm (15") planks down to a more prototypical 3mm (7.5" - according to AOS BOUNTY she had 6" planks).

IMG_0425.jpg

Finally back to the room to do some more work on NORFOLK. I cut in the slots for the stanchions with a razor saw then removed the material with a 1mm wide chisel. I then cut the stauncions to a nominal length before gluing them in place; checking the fairness of the curve created by them above the sheer line.
I also planked the transom and when these too were dry, I sanded everything down to smooth and fair curves.
The first row of planks have been "steamed" in a thermos of boiling water and clamped to the sheer line. When these are dry I will glue them in place then steam and fit the second, third and forth rows before moving back up to the sheer line and start planning the bulwark,

IMG_0432.jpg

IMG_0433.jpg

Planking is proceeding well. I stopped and sanded the planks to see how things were going, then continued. I have made up my own "putty" of very fine pear sawdust mixed with white PVA to make sure the seams between hull planks are filled.

I have dry fitted the Garboard planks, but I'm not sure that the lower hull profile is quite right at the bow (too round) so I may have some more sanding/fairing to do.

IMG_0434.jpg

Last edited:
Planking the hull has been completed and some fittings and rigging prepared. I have the caprail to make and fit Anas well as the deadwood and rudder to finish the hull. The 2mm cherry I purchased online (ex- China) is as brittle as hell and breaks apart with the slightest effort so the keel/deadwood/stem is very delicate. Drilling the slot for the bowsprit bindings will be the next test this material. The steepest already broke in three places.

IMG_0440.jpg

Thinking through how to make lower deadeye straps for NORFOLK in 1/64. Played around with ketchup and think that this might work using 1/32 x 1/16 brass strap and 1mm tube. Soft solder probably won't be strong enough so I have to wait for some silver solder and my jewellers gas torch.

Screen Shot 2022-11-13 at 3.57.41 pm.png

Have made three of the six straps but everything has been temporarily put on hold as I examine a couple of HMS GREYHOUND partial builds and consider what can become of them.

Well I seem to be in a rush as I have already filled, sanded, and fitted the deck to NORFOLK. I have also realised I have made a couple of rocky errors too.
1. The mast was positioned one frame too far forward.
2. The deck is positioned where the top of the bulwark should be......
Oh well, She will have a slightly deeper draft than the replica.....
I have also made up the mast, boom and bowsprit and one of the deck coamings for ladders to below decks.
I also have scale 5" planking in pear (offcuts from sawing the BOUNTY 6mm (15") planks down to a more prototypical 3mm (7.5" - according to AOS BOUNTY she had 6" planks).

View attachment 331779
Errors are normally only know if you tell us up front of the error, most would never know on the completed build.

Norfolk has been languishing for far too long.

So time to do some more rigging: Have both forestays and the backstays fitted along with the lifts and throat halliard. I have fitted four brass hoop/lugs to th east for the throat and for the peak halliards and another on the bowsprit for the preventer stay. I note the replica does not have one but I am sure that on the epic journey through Bass Straight and around Tasmania, Bass and Flinders would have had the extra safety in place. The traveller is fitted with the jib halliard lower block as well as in an and out hauls. Still need to fit Bobstay and Bowsprit Guys as well as the Jib Halliad and the main sheets

IMG_0560.JPG

IMG_0559.JPG

Well there was a bit of a gap but I have finally finished the rigging and fitted anchors and catheads. I also made a basic stand for her to sit on.

It's time tp print up some fact sheets, a Canberra Model Shipwrights sign and get her off to the local Toyworld store for display in the clubs cabinet. It's still hard to image that she is the same scale as ENDEAVOUR. Bass and Flinders were very brave explorers venturing Bass Straight and circumnavigating Tasmania in such a small vessel.

Whoops. Just realised I still have to make up the rear handrails.....

IMG_0587.JPG

The Congratulations will come - but I hope to see some photos of the finished model from different perspectives
Very good work

I hope you are still sailing the 7seas! Sweet build well done and I love the rigging, puts it all together making a beautiful display model

Back