OcCre Cala Esmeralda (ref. 13002) rigging question

I’m building the OcCre Cala Esmeralda and have been trying to research this ship. It was supposedly built in Majorca between 1916 and 1919. “With an American style in terms of her figure and a most elegant line of sail.” I have been unsuccessful in finding any factual evidence that this ship ever existed.

I’m starting the standing rigging but the OcCre rigging plan is really not clear on how the top masts back stays are installed. It sort of looks like they are attached to the deck near the rails after passing through the top mast cross tree. I have not been able to find any reference to this type of rigging. I’ve checked both Biddlecomb’s and Petersson’s rigging books.

After all that explanation, has anyone build this model and have any information or insight?

Don't always believe what a kit manufacturer says about their model. Some model backstories are a complete fantasy, like the Sergal (Mantua) manufactured San Felipe. The model was developed some time in the 1960's, and represents a three deck Spanish warship of the 1740's, with a stern gallery not found on any ship of that type, making it unique. The box states it was from 1670, and that it participated in some known conflicts, but the ship never actually existed. Many copies of this model were made and the false history was repeated over and over. The ship may have been based on a real ship, the Real Felipe, but that's just a guess made by many.

Some models are made as a representation of a particular type of vessel used in history, with a fictional name applied to it. Your model may fit in this category. Unlike the San Felipe, which was purported by the manufacturer to represent a real, historical vessel, OcCre may be selling The Cala Esmeralda model as generic vessel of its type. Even though OcCre claims "The topsail schooner "Esmeralda" was built in Majorca between 1916 and 1919", the model may still be fictional. The total absence of information on the internet for this specific schooner by name indicates this could be the case.

Rigging plans on kits are OFTEN incorrect on some of the lines they instruct you to rig. In many cases, they have some lines which do not fit the time period of the vessel, and in others there are simplifications of the rigging. It's usually up to the builder to decide whether to build the kit as-is, or delve into the internet to locate and buy books on rigging for the same time period, learn how the rigging was actually done, and make corrections and added details to the model. Adding details to a kit is called "kit bashing". It lies anywhere between building the kit as instructed right out of the box and complete scratch building.

Last edited:
Don't always believe what a kit manufacturer says about their model. Some model backstories are a complete fantasy, like the Sergal (Mantua) manufactured San Felipe. The model was developed some time in the 1960's, and represents a three deck Spanish warship of the 1740's, with a stern gallery not found on any ship of that type, making it unique. The box states it was from 1670, and that it participated in some known conflicts, but the ship never actually existed. Many copies of this model were made and the false history was repeated over and over. The ship may have been based on a real ship, the Real Felipe, but that's just a guess made by many.

Some models are made as a representation of a particular type of vessel used in history, with a fictional name applied to it. Your model may fit in this category. Unlike the San Felipe, which was purported by the manufacturer to represent a real, historical vessel, OcCre may be selling The Cala Esmeralda model as generic vessel of its type. Even though OcCre claims "The topsail schooner "Esmeralda" was built in Majorca between 1916 and 1919", the model may still be fictional. The total absence of information on the internet for this specific schooner by name indicates this could be the case.

Rigging plans on kits are OFTEN incorrect on some of the lines they instruct you to rig. In many cases, they have some lines which do not fit the time period of the vessel, and in others there are simplifications of the rigging. It's usually up to the builder to decide whether to build the kit as-is, or delve into the internet to locate and buy books on rigging for the same time period, learn how the rigging was actually done, and make corrections and added details to the model. Adding details to a kit is called "kit bashing". It lies anywhere between building the kit as instructed right out of the box and complete scratch building.
Darivs, Thanks for your insight. Kind of figured that it was a case of a generic representation of this type of ship. I’m also aware of “kit bashing“ and what it means. I have researched the circa 1900 type of schooners in various books and on line but have yet to find an appropriate representation of the correct way to configure and attach the three masts’ back stays… I’ll keep looking. Thanks for your help.

Have you tried contacting OcCre directly?
Yes, i was shorted on some dead eyes (that they are sending) and asked about the rigging. They just said that I was correct and the back stays are attached to the deck near the bulwark rail. They did not address if this was a real ship or imaginary.

I’m also building the OcCre Cala Esmeralda, but I’ve only finished the first planking of the hull and not yet confronted myself with the details of the rigging.

To my knowledge Cala Esmeralda has never existed under that name and yet I’ve recently been aboard the ship in the port of Barcelona! The model is an almost exact copy of the schooner Santa Eulàlia, the flagship of the Maritime Museum of Barcelona. You can read about the schooner on the museum’s website https://www.mmb.cat/en/schooner-santa-eulalia/. Here you can also download the plans of the ship and compare them with the drawings of your OcCre kit.

Santa Eulàlia is a great tourist attraction in Barcelona and you can find a lot of photos of the ship on the internet. Who knows, maybe you can also find an answer to your specific rigging question?

Current build:
OcCre "Cala Esmeralda" 1:58
Previous builds:
ZJ CN Model "Halcon 1840" 1:100

I’m building the OcCre Cala Esmeralda and have been trying to research this ship. It was supposedly built in Majorca between 1916 and 1919. “With an American style in terms of her figure and a most elegant line of sail.” I have been unsuccessful in finding any factual evidence that this ship ever existed.

I’m starting the standing rigging but the OcCre rigging plan is really not clear on how the top masts back stays are installed. It sort of looks like they are attached to the deck near the rails after passing through the top mast cross tree. I have not been able to find any reference to this type of rigging. I’ve checked both Biddlecomb’s and Petersson’s rigging books.

After all that explanation, has anyone build this model and have any information or insight?
Hi, I have now the complete download on your ship in a PDF scale, the Riggen is very clear. Standing RIGN. in BLACTRunning RIGN.. Yards in RED, and Running Rig SAILS BLUE. I have added it. Hope you can open it. I can, but you will need a PDF reader if you do not have as Acrobat reader-free.

Attachments

• 13002-CALA ESMERALDA.pdf
    23.7 MB · Views: 51
I’m also building the OcCre Cala Esmeralda, but I’ve only finished the first planking of the hull and not yet confronted myself with the details of the rigging.

To my knowledge Cala Esmeralda has never existed under that name and yet I’ve recently been aboard the ship in the port of Barcelona! The model is an almost exact copy of the schooner Santa Eulàlia, the flagship of the Maritime Museum of Barcelona. You can read about the schooner on the museum’s website https://www.mmb.cat/en/schooner-santa-eulalia/. Here you can also download the plans of the ship and compare them with the drawings of your OcCre kit.

Santa Eulàlia is a great tourist attraction in Barcelona and you can find a lot of photos of the ship on the internet. Who knows, maybe you can also find an answer to your specific rigging question?

Current build:
OcCre "Cala Esmeralda" 1:58
Previous builds:
ZJ CN Model "Halcon 1840" 1:100
Thank you very much for this information. I have downloaded the plans and took a quick look and you are certainly correct that the Santa Eulàlia is the true model for Esmeralda…
*Edit* once again thank you. I have looked at the plans and various photos found on line and now have a much better idea on the correct rigging for this vessel.

Last edited:
What method have others tried to fasten the bulwards . Is it easiest wet or dry/?

What method have others tried to fasten the bulwards . Is it easiest wet or dry/?
Hi Don.
I fitted the bulwarks dry and it was a pain. I don’t think I’ll try it that way again. You can see some photos in my Build Log (Link). @ Fletch Dog suggested using a scrap board and placing nails to mimic the curve of the bow and molding the bulwarks to this form prior to placing them on the hull. For that method I would heat the bulwarks with a hair drier or heat gun and slowly press them into the mold. If you haven’t planked them yet you could also wet them prior to forming. Others may have different ideas…

Hi Don and OlivierF,
I first shaped the wet bulwarks to the curve of the deck and let them dry up before gluing and nailing them. I too was a little scared by the process because there's not much material to attach the bulwarks to, but to me it actually turned out to be more straightforward than expected :)

Hi Don.
I fitted the bulwarks dry and it was a pain. I don’t think I’ll try it that way again. You can see some photos in my Build Log (Link). @ Fletch Dog suggested using a scrap board and placing nails to mimic the curve of the bow and molding the bulwarks to this form prior to placing them on the hull. For that method I would heat the bulwarks with a hair drier or heat gun and slowly press them into the mold. If you haven’t planked them yet you could also wet them prior to forming. Others may have different ideas…
WITH EXPERIENCE EACH ONE WILL FIND WHAT IS THE BEST FOR HER /HIM

Hi Don.
Thanks El capi. I've already wrecked a pair and it took forever to get replacements so I'm a little gun shy. I saw the jig you referred to with the nails and it looks logical. I'll give it a try
Thanks.

Planning to build the C.A.
When researching the ship she is based on, the Sta. Eulalia, I found a free downloadable book about her.
I attach the PDF here. It is in Spanish, but has many images and drawings that could be useful.

Attachments

• Planols-Pailebot-Santa-Eulalia-©Alfredo-Jaén.pdf
    6.4 MB · Views: 7
..this is the website where I found the PDF:
Hi,
If you have problems with the Spanish language, I will be a help apart from the Google translation.
I build it in 1980Th. I still have the building instructions, but they can be downloaded in a PDF format, The Riggen's instructions are fairly good.
Ha en god dag. jeg er dansk, selvom jeg nu har vaeter i Spanien 48 Aar.

Tack! Jag är egentligen holländare, men bor i Sverige sedan 10 år.
I downloaded the instructions, thanks. The kit will arrive next week!
If I need help with Spanish I'll let you know;-)

Tack! Jag är egentligen holländare, men bor i Sverige sedan 10 år.
I downloaded the instructions, thanks. The kit will arrive next week!
If I need help with Spanish I'll let you know;-)
if it is from Occre you will have the instruction in several languages- as on the downloaded version- -9 - but yes you can always come and ask for help.
is a very good ship to start with- El Capi

Last edited:
Back