Occre Pacific 231 wood and brass train [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hello All. The train has now arrived at the station, it is complete so I’m afraid that’s the end of the journey. All passengers will now have to alight; the platform tea room will be open for refreshments.

I’m very pleased with the result, it’s an impressive model that I’m sure will attract the attention of anyone walking into the room and will invite conversation.

The kit was different to anything that I’ve done before and so was an interesting challenge, it wasn’t easy though. I mentioned before that the quality and fit of the parts was excellent but it was badly let down by the instructions which were very poor especially in detailed areas where guidance and clarity were needed, thus spoiling the overall build experience.

I hope that you enjoyed the ride and will follow me on any future build. For now some pictures for you to browse.

158.jpg

159.jpg

160.jpg

161.jpg

162.jpg

163.jpg

164.jpg

165.jpg

167.jpg

168.jpg

Hello All. The train has now arrived at the station, it is complete so I’m afraid that’s the end of the journey. All passengers will now have to alight; the platform tea room will be open for refreshments.

I’m very pleased with the result, it’s an impressive model that I’m sure will attract the attention of anyone walking into the room and will invite conversation.

The kit was different to anything that I’ve done before and so was an interesting challenge, it wasn’t easy though. I mentioned before that the quality and fit of the parts was excellent but it was badly let down by the instructions which were very poor especially in detailed areas where guidance and clarity were needed, thus spoiling the overall build experience.

I hope that you enjoyed the ride and will follow me on any future build. For now some pictures for you to browse.

View attachment 294863

View attachment 294864

View attachment 294865

View attachment 294866

View attachment 294867

View attachment 294868

View attachment 294869

View attachment 294870

View attachment 294871

View attachment 294872
Dear Ken
It was a wonderful journey, you did an amazing job and the result speaks for itself. Well done What's the next project?

Hello everyone. I am going to attempt to build a train, it is a Pacific 231, a wood and brass kit by Occre, a large model some 730mm long so hopefully quite impressive. I know nothing about trains, I have never researched or built one before and I have never built with brass except the small amount on my Amerigo Vespucci so this will be an interesting challenge. Who doesn’t love trains? I’ll be building it out of the box as per the instructions with little enhancement, as there is almost nothing online about it I’ll just be winging it.

I have done a few, mostly wooden ship build logs on S.O.S. over time but my last one HMS Ajax was a disappointment to me and rather put me off that type of build for the moment, the first kit that I never finished! I still continued to build models as that’s what I enjoy doing but I went off at a tangent, trying out different types and learning different techniques, it’s been an enjoyable modelling year. I stopped following S.O.S forums during this period or doing logs, so to any of those members that followed me I apologise if I haven’t replied to any questions or contacts. So this build will continue along the theme of something new for me, I know this is a model boat forum but if there is enough interest I’ll continue with this intended log.

My wife bought me this kit for Xmas so she has now gone from Admiral to Station Master, I’m not sure if that’s a demotion or not?

The other models that I have built over this last year are

Pocher Ducati

A couple of old Protar Bikes

Sharnhurst Trumpeter

Revell Snowberry, a very old freebee given to me

Shnellboot by Italeri

Arado by Revell
Here’s some pictures Ken
Hallo @Ken
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Enjoy your special day
Birthday-Cake

Excellent model and an enjoyable journey. I had no idea these kits where as detailed and complex as this. If you don't mind me asking roughly how many hours did this build take.
Hi Tony. Thanks fo that nice comment, I didn’t keep count of the hours that it took to build. I got it from my wife for Xmas so about nine weeks, I think that I’m a pretty fast builder, ( Amerigo Vespucci ) took nine months, and during the winter with covid restrictions I put more hours each day than would be normal.

Hi everyone. There have been many likes and comments here, every one of which I have very much appreciated and I thank you all. I hope you won’t mind if I don’t reply to you individually, you’ll know that this collective thanks is to everyone.
I shan’t be doing a log for a short while but I have ideas for future builds. My daughter bought me an Airfix 1:12 Bentley kit for Xmas, if I didn’t do this next but just put it on the shelf she may think me a little ungrateful so that’s my next build. I don’t feel inspired enough to do a log of this but I may put some pics of the finished model.
I would add that you have complimented me on my builds which I sometimes feel a bit unworthy when I see some of your incredible work that you present in your logs, so continue, I’ll be sat on your shoulders.

Ken

Back