Santisima Trinidad - Occre Build Log [COMPLETED BUILD]

Re: OcCre Santisima Trinidad Build Log

<t>Ok, I went into a little more detail this time attempting to show the sail management lines. This is the Main Top Gallant. Things get a little crowded and some blocks (it seems) are sharing some lines. Hey, these are the blocks that are called for and those lines have to go somewhere. So, I chose the most logical. <br/>
The images are 1000 x 1000 pixel W & H. Uploaded to photobucket.com with links and not attached. Just as a reference, the file size of each image is about 104.85 KB (107,371 bytes)</t>

Attachments

• maintopgallant06.jpg
    maintopgallant06.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 122
  • maintopgallant07.jpg
    maintopgallant07.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 122
  • maintopgallant08.jpg
    maintopgallant08.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 116

<t>This is an image of the Main Top Gallant Yard Lift Pulley of which I have prepped for the installation of the Yard. Note: The other 4 Blocks that are shown, 2 are for the Yard Lifts and the other 2 are for the Bunt Lines. However, if I remember off the top of my head, I think the single pulley is more inline with what is called a Jeers. I would have to look that up to be honest and the Admiral is standing here tapping her foot on the floor with her hands on her hips... Actually - no - just kidding about that last part.<br/>
The path of the line starts where it is joined at the pulley and makes it way down to the center pulley on the yard, then travels up and then back down again and then back up and finally down to where it ties off at the Bitts rack. Ok, its starting to make me dizzy already. Basic Illustration of rigging line path.</t>

Attachments

• maintopgallant09.jpg
    maintopgallant09.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 111
  • maintopgallant10.jpg
    maintopgallant10.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 113

<t>Main Topgallant Halyard Rigging<br/>
The following images are step by step for installation of the Main Topgallant Halyard rigging sequence. I hope that some will find this useful. I had some extra time on my hands and decided to go ahead and do a full write up with illustrations. Is this perfect--no. Is all of this correct--not sure. But I sure did give it my best shot.<br/>
EDIT: April 3, 2014 These tie-offs unfortunately are all wrong. All halyards will be relocated to the pulleys.</t>

Attachments

• maintopgallant11.jpg
    maintopgallant11.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 113
  • maintopgallant12.jpg
    maintopgallant12.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 110
  • maintopgallant13.jpg
    maintopgallant13.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 106
  • maintopgallant14.jpg
    maintopgallant14.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 107
  • maintopgallant15.jpg
    maintopgallant15.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 106
  • maintopgallant16.jpg
    maintopgallant16.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 105
  • maintopgallant17.jpg
    maintopgallant17.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 108
  • maintopgallant18.jpg
    maintopgallant18.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 112
  • maintopgallant19.jpg
    maintopgallant19.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 113
  • maintopgallant20.jpg
    maintopgallant20.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 110
  • maintopgallant21.jpg
    maintopgallant21.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 104

<t>She's looking great! If my wasa will look half as good as your santisima i'll be extatic. And thank you for posting such details descriptions of what and how you do things. Even if it's not the same ship i have gotten a lot of tips from your build! <br/>
Keep it up!!</t>

<t>Thank you Oliver ! I just take one thing at a time and try to plan out what is going to happen. I am sure that your ship will turn out fine. When I get a moment (or more moments), I need to catch up with every ones logs. (including yours). Thanks for posting and being an active part of SoS.<br/>
Donnie<br/>
ps. Some of my documentation is rather spotty as sometimes, I am just not in the right frame of mind to document every step. Basically, when it comes to rigging, it all follows the same course for each mast, yard, sails, ect. There is a pattern that developes so don't let the big picture get in the way - (it can and it will)</t>

<t>I like the idea of tying it off through the hole rather then around the pin. This seems to be much easier and stronger. Thank god I didn't install my belaying pins yet.</t>

<t>Wow, Donnie lots and lots of line on that bad boy, very nice looking, good job.</t>

<r>Hi Donnie,<br/>
Soon you will need crew and supplies for your ship.<br/>
You can find it there:<br/>
<URL url="http://www.musee-marine.fr/programmes_multimedia/vieabord/vieABord_en.html"><LINK_TEXT text="http://www.musee-marine.fr/programmes_m ... rd_en.html">http://www.musee-marine.fr/programmes_multimedia/vieabord/vieABord_en.html</LINK_TEXT></URL><br/>
<br/>
Happy modeling<br/>
<br/>
Tadeusz<br/>
I love the smell of acetone in the evening.<br/>
<br/>
My models:<br/>
From kits<br/>
Vasa, HMS Victory, Le Solei Royale, Friesland<br/>
From scratch<br/>
HMS Warrior 1860, Esplanade, Grosse Yacht<br/>
Norman’s ship, HMS Speedy, La Royale<br/>
Peter von Danzig<br/>
Polacca XVII cent.<br/>
Current project:<br/>
SS Savannah 1818</r>

<t>Not much to say. Just a few pictures of where I am with it. Thanks for all the nice comments. Thanks Tadeusz for the link. <br/>
ps. I know I have been laxed in looking into everyone's build log. Sorry about that. A lot has been going on at the house hold and at work.</t>

Attachments

• gaff01.jpg
    gaff01.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 111
  • gaff02.jpg
    gaff02.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 110

<t>Hey Donnie,<br/>
Looks like your closing in on the finish, very nice.<br/>
J</t>

<t>Thanks guys. I really appreciate the kind comments. I have no images to report. However, I have a little word of advice (not) to do what I have done. <br/>
Way back when I was rigging the standing rigging, mainly the shrouds, I did not (on purpose) rig up the Back Stays. The Fore, Midship, and Aft channels have about 4 to 5 smaller deadeyes that serves as Back Stay standings. I thought that there is really no need to do this at the moment. Well, time went on from there and basically forgot all about the Backstays (for the fore, main, and mizzen mast). After loading up just about all the yards and associated rigging, I started turning my attention to what was left to go to complete this thing. As I was browsing through the Plates, I saw that I had forgotten about those Back Stays. This is my suggestion: When you complete the shrouds, I suggest to rig the first two Backstays from the fore channel, the others can be left alone as they will probably get in the way. This was probably my reasoning from the beginning as those Backstays can in fact really be in the way of rigging yards, etc. <br/>
This is why I say that it is a good idea to rig just the first two and not do the rest. The reason is that (I found out) that is is quite difficult, but doable, to rig the first two Backstays, BUT, the "Path" that those two lines have to take will bust up a few nerves. The other backstays are easy as they do not interfere with anything.</t>

<r>Hey Donnie, do you have any hair? If not I can see why. I would be pulling my hair out trying to keep up with where all the lines go. You have done a <B><s></s>VERY<e></e></B> good job. Can I call on you for some tips or just to cry on someone's shoulder when I start my breakdown.<br/>
I watch a YouTube video the other day showing the way to do rat lines, looked real good.</r>

<t>Well, I spent almost the entire weekend with no internet - and of course no way to upload or view anything SOS related. So, here we go !!! snare drum - cymbal !!!<br/>
OK, so on to other things. There's something about the rigging of the Blocks on deck - located at base of each mast that has been a mystery to me from day one. The schematic plan view that has all the belaying pin numbers and locations do not even mention those blocks. However, on the first Plate of the rigging, it does show a hint of those blocks and the associated lines.<br/>
At the time, I did not understand and did not know which to follow. If I wanted to rework some of the rigging, it would have to be done to the Yard Lifts and other running rigging. Sorry, but I simply do not have it in me to correct about a half a dozen lines. Some of which just do not make sense at all. <br/>
A typical example: The Plate (page) that shows the Yard Lifts (pair) going to an arrangement using the blocks and even has a number associated with it ... lets call it #330. OK, so looking at the plan layout, #330 goes to the Bitts Pin Rail !!!! Makes no sense. So, I am leaving it as is. Of which is probably wrong !!! Just as a side note, the OcCre booklet seems to have either two or three ships that they are taking photos from and all of them seem to be slightly different anyway.<br/>
I am sure that the De Agonstini is much more thorough. So, for future references, I assume that ANY Pulley at the base right at the Mast are all used for Yard Lifts and other Yard management. While the belaying pins are for sail management.</t>

Attachments

• mizzencrossjack01F.jpg
    mizzencrossjack01F.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 119
  • mizzencrossjack02F.jpg
    mizzencrossjack02F.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 119
  • mizzencrossjack03F.jpg
    mizzencrossjack03F.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 117
  • gaff04F.jpg
    gaff04F.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 116
  • gaff05F.jpg
    gaff05F.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 111
  • gaff06F.jpg
    gaff06F.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 116
  • gaff07F.jpg
    gaff07F.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 114

<t>Each ship and each captain had their own way of rigging the vessel. Most lines would have been the same on many ships and under many captains, but all were subject to change. Even the same ship under a different captain would have been rigged differently. Also, rigging changed over time. What seems to make sense is that things that got tied into the deck cleats or blocks that were tied to deck ring bolts were usually the heavier lines or ones that had a lot of stress. The fife rails were for lighter items that got adjusted often.</t>

<t>Re Visiting the Deck Pulleys:<br/>
I have been confused about this from the beginning. But, now, it seems to be a bit clearer now, but I can't say for sure. Below are example images of the pulleys. <br/>
My assumption "now" is that these are used for the Yard Lifts only. Which now it seems that I am going to have to redo all my lifts to the pulleys. the way it is now, all my lifts are tied to the belaying pins on the bitts (base of each mast). <br/>
To add to the confusion, I have some eyebolts mounted (according to plans) that do not have a pulley attached. It almost seems that there are not enough pulleys for the lifts for each yard as well. The lower fore mast example needs two lines. So that would be 5 pulleys needed. I think I have enough. But another deal is that when dealing with pulleys, you have a line that exits out and has to be tied off. So, does the remaining line loop right under the eyebolt? there are clearly not enough eyebolts to tie the remaining line to. Below is also a schematic showing a typical Yard slung to the Mast and then line goes to pulleys on deck and assuming that the line terminates at the block as shown.</t>

Attachments

• deckblock04.jpg
    deckblock04.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 115
  • deckblock09.jpg
    deckblock09.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 114

<t>Look on page 314 of Mondfeid's book "Historic Ship Models". The lifts for lower masts were terminated on the pins on the bulwark. More likely, these blocks were used as part of the halyard tackles.</t>

<r><QUOTE><s>
</s>More likely, these blocks were used as part of the halyard tackles.<e>
</e></QUOTE>

Gary,<br/>
do you mind elaborating? I am really confused. I just dragged out the schematics that were confusing me and I found that the Deck Pulleys as shown are used for all the lifts. The eyebolts are used for the stay and preventer stay. I am not debating as I am at a total loss here. My fore bitts (at the base) has sheves in them. So, I used those pair of sheves in the bitts to manage the lower main yard (fore and main). Then I used the belaying pins in the Bitts rack to terminate the lifts for the top, upper gallant, and royal gallant. THerefore I have these blocks near the mast that are not being used. Rough Drawing: This is what I basically have now. No blocks used. The main lower is using the pair of sheves in the Bitts. This is not correct - I think I am going to have to redo this</r>

Attachments

• LIFTSSCHEMATICS.JPG
    LIFTSSCHEMATICS.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 135

<t>Rigging also varies by national origins. Thus, the exceptions you are seeing may be from many different reasons and hopefully their research found this information from a respectable completed model or documentation. I have heard that they do better research than some other companies. Thus, without specific information about this exact vessel, your best bet is to follow what they have shown. You might write to the company, get a language teacher to help write it in their tongue, and ask what source they used for rigging the model.</t>

FORE COURSE, TOPSAIL, GALLANT, AND ROYAL HALYARDS RELOCATION PROJECT.

Ok. I decided to go by the directions (now that I have finally figured out what is going on) or at least I think I have. The following photos just demonstrate the actions of relocating the Main Stay and the Upper Stay. Later this evening, I will tackle the Lifts. Note that the Top Rope, and both stays are now on eyebolts.

relocating-stays01.jpg

relocating-stays02.jpg

relocating-stays03.jpg

relocating-stays04.jpg

relocating-stays05.jpg

relocating-stays06.jpg

relocating-stays07.jpg

I have just now completed all the Yard Lifts re rigging on the Foremast base. Two evenings done it. I just have the Main Lifts next. Maybe all of this will make me a better modeler. I will upload the next group of pics tomorrow (April 3).

Back