Old Fashioned Milk Paint

Like so many others, I've gone through so many varieties and types of paint during my modeling lifetime that I've lost count. Finally, after much trial and error, I settled on a type of paint that has been made and used for, quite possibly, centuries - Old Fashioned Milk Paint.

The Old Fashioned Milk Paint Product Bulletin reads,

"Our Old Fashioned MILK PAINT is a re-creation of the ancient MILK PAINT formula used for centuries before the sale of commercially made paints. It is an authentic finish for use in the restoration of antiques or in the reproduction of antique furniture. It comes in rich colors that are durable and do not fade. Also, since our real MILK PAINT is made from elements that pre-date the use of petrochemicals and other toxic bases and solvents, it is biodegradable, non-toxic, and odor-free when dry. Our MILK PAINT is preferred by custom furniture builders, interior designers, artists, craftsmen, do-it-yourselfers, and those who are sensitive to the need to protect the environment."

It is available in 32 different colors from the manufacturer. For the ship modeler, colors are limitless with a little blending of, for example, 25% White and 75% Barn Red.

combined-color-chart.png
Advantages of Old Fashioned Milk Paint include:

advantages.jpg
When applied, it will dry to an absolute dead-flat sheen. However, if buffed with #0000 Steel Wool, beautiful satin effects can be achieved. If a high gloss is what you are after, the company also has a variety of oils, waxes, and "glazes" available.

This stuff is the "Real Deal" and not a "Chalk Paint" or other replication of historical paint typically found in craft and hobby shops or the BORG (Big Orange Retail Giant).

If you've ever wondered why ancient stone murals or Egyptian burial furniture have retained their original color after centuries, it's because formulas, such as those used in Old Fashioned Milk Paint, were used.

No, I am not a salesman, dealer, or in any way a supplier. I'm simply passing on information for a much-overlooked paint product I'm certain any ship modeler will fall in love with.

Hank
P.S. - Dogs are tough. I’ve been interrogating mine for hours and he still won’t tell me who is a good boy.

Last edited:
I've used milk paint on several woodworking projects. I have a sitting bench that is nearly 20 years old. It has been on my front porch for most of that time and the color has worn well.

The look of this milk paint on furniture and cabinets is nothing short of "eye-catching." It adds such character to the piece.

Back