Old Greek ship

I just watch the movie 300: rise of the empire, which depict naval battle between Greek and Persian ships. Late in the movie, there a small sequence showing how they release the main sails just prior the attack to get some speed.

What I found quite interesting is that the raised-up sails are anchored to the deck-rack using pins upside down. The sailor then used a mallet to smash down the 4 pins, almost instantly free the lower yard, which came tumbling down to open the main sail. Not sure if the war ship racks were actually designed that way... or just a nice movie sequence.

I just watch the movie 300: rise of the empire, which depict naval battle between Greek and Persian ships. Late in the movie, there a small sequence showing how they release the main sails just prior the attack to get some speed.

What I found quite interesting is that the raised-up sails are anchored to the deck-rack using pins upside down. The sailor then used a mallet to smash down the 4 pins, almost instantly free the lower yard, which came tumbling down to open the main sail. Not sure if the war ship racks were actually designed that way... or just a nice movie sequence.
I'm no expert but I think the way you say it was shown in the movie would leave the door wide open for accidents. Maybe I'm wrong but it doesn't sound like real life. JMHO

Back