Old Revell 1963 PT 109

This model sat in my started but not complete section of my workbench for a long time due to accuracy issues. When the recently released Revell/Germany kit came out recently I scarfed one up and immediately found it has a few issues of it's own, but more about that in another thread I will start. The biggest issue I had with the old kit is the representation of the toe rails or coamings that run from the bow back to abreast of the deck house. They look like they are supposed to be brass railings fastened to the deck with metal rings. None of the photos I could find of WWII PT boats had a railing on the deck configured that way. I found a way to fix this problem on my new 109 kit but decided to complete the old kit as provided by Revell. Since the boat as commanded by Ltjg John Kennedy also had replaced the life raft on the fore deck with a 37mm cannon and also had a few other changes which were made optional on the new kit I decided to finish this kit as the 109 may have appeared soon after reaching the south pacific nearly a year earlier. The color was different and the life raft may have still been in place, as well as the mast. The kit had large PT 109 decals shown placed on the hull but the only photo I found of the PT 109 with the number on the hull was the one used in Kennedy's inaugural parade in 1961. So, anyway, while I have been working on the new kit I decided to finish the old kit which, after deciding not to alter it, didn't take much time at all.Old PT 109 001.jpgOld PT 109 002.jpgOld PT 109 003.jpgOld PT 109 004.jpgOld PT 109 005.jpgOld PT 109 006.jpg

This model sat in my started but not complete section of my workbench for a long time due to accuracy issues. When the recently released Revell/Germany kit came out recently I scarfed one up and immediately found it has a few issues of it's own, but more about that in another thread I will start. The biggest issue I had with the old kit is the representation of the toe rails or coamings that run from the bow back to abreast of the deck house. They look like they are supposed to be brass railings fastened to the deck with metal rings. None of the photos I could find of WWII PT boats had a railing on the deck configured that way. I found a way to fix this problem on my new 109 kit but decided to complete the old kit as provided by Revell. Since the boat as commanded by Ltjg John Kennedy also had replaced the life raft on the fore deck with a 37mm cannon and also had a few other changes which were made optional on the new kit I decided to finish this kit as the 109 may have appeared soon after reaching the south pacific nearly a year earlier. The color was different and the life raft may have still been in place, as well as the mast. The kit had large PT 109 decals shown placed on the hull but the only photo I found of the PT 109 with the number on the hull was the one used in Kennedy's inaugural parade in 1961. So, anyway, while I have been working on the new kit I decided to finish the old kit which, after deciding not to alter it, didn't take much time at all.View attachment 188055View attachment 188056View attachment 188057View attachment 188058View attachment 188059View attachment 188060
Wonderful kit. I built the same kit back when I was 14 and it's a favorite. I put an motor in it and made a shaft seal using petroleum jelly and let it run in a local pond for fun.

Back