Oliver Cromwell, POF ,Scale 1:48 by Lawrence [COMPLETED BUILD]

Great work as usual Lawrence.
Hello Mike
Thanks for your visit to my build log, also for your very kind words and nice comments. Yes, things will start to get more interesting from now on as I have completed adding my 5 little Led Lamps to the Platform Deck. Now we can lay the King plank to the Lower Deck, ENJOY.
Regards Lawrence

Hello Ship Mates

Once again I thank you very much for all of your visits to my build log on the little ship the Oliver Cromwell. Also for your very kind words and nice comments.

Back in the Old Ship Yard the little fellows and I have been rather busy these last few days. We have added the Center King Plank to the full length of the Lower Deck, again these still need to be tapered as soon as the rest of the decking is applied. We have added another 4 Led Lamps to this Lower Platform Deck area along with the one that we installed in the Lantern Window for the Magazine. We have built and installed the Coamings for the Ladd83249832508325183252er Way to the Magazine area and also for the lower Cargo Hatch. We have built and added the Mast Partners for all of the three-mast. Last but not least, we have built the set of Steps to the Lower Platform Magazine area. This was rather a fun little job to do, ENJOY. Regards Lawrence

Hello Knut
Thank you for your visit to my build log. Also for your very kind words and comments. I bought my Led Lamps from Evans Designs, one of SOS sponsors. I chose the 3-volt type as they do not require any resistors if used with a 3-volt battery or a 3-volt power supply like I will be using. I also opted for the Remote Control that makes it very handy to turn off os on. The system is really simple to set up as you have only two little wires per Led Lamp. To use the remote control wire up is also very easy. All you must do is connect one set of wires to the power supply and the other set to your Led Lamps, place your sensor in a window or in an unobscured place and you are set to go. The wires are just tightly wound and insulated with a shrink wrap tube, ENJOY. Regards Lawrence

Hi Lawrence
I posted this in my Oliver thread but it seems not many people have read it.

A few questions regarding masting / rigging of Oliver. As the plans of Oliver did not have any rigging plan, I am using Rattlesnake's rigging plan - I built this ship previously but without masts /yards/rigging.

What about belaying pins? The drawings of other Hahn models do not show any trace of them. They were surely in use that time but were they used on Oliver? If yes, where were were the racks for them?

Mast woolding. The drawings and Hahn'reports are somewhat misleading and they are in contradiction with each other. Did the mast have wouldings and/or timber rings?

Thx in advance

Janos

Hi Lawrence
I posted this in my Oliver thread but it seems not many people have read it.

A few questions regarding masting / rigging of Oliver. As the plans of Oliver did not have any rigging plan, I am using Rattlesnake's rigging plan - I built this ship previously but without masts /yards/rigging.

What about belaying pins? The drawings of other Hahn models do not show any trace of them. They were surely in use that time but were they used on Oliver? If yes, where were were the racks for them?

Mast woolding. The drawings and Hahn'reports are somewhat misleading and they are in contradiction with each other. Did the mast have wouldings and/or timber rings?

Thx in advance

Janos

Hello Janos
Thanks for your visit to my build log on the little ship the Oliver Cromwell. I will try to answer some of your questions as best as I can. Golly but you are at least a year plus ahead of me in your build of the Oliver Cromwell. Yes Harold M Hahn does leave a lot for the model builder to work out for themselves, his method sure does lead to a lot of research and I kind of like this approach. As for the Belaying pins I have found a build log from a fellow called Gusman who posted a lot of pictures of his Oliver Cromwell a few years ago that does show most or all of the Belaying Points or Racks. I tried to attach this link but it would not go in so I will Give you the web address ok http://guzmanshipmodels.com/page3.html. This guy has did a great job on his ship and I do hope that it will help you out.
As for the mast and rigging, I bought a single sheet on the Hms Druid directly from Harold M Hahn son Chris to give me a rough idea of just how the Oliver Cromwell was rigged. For her sails, I will use Lennarth Peterson book Rigging Period Ship Models for the sail shapes and adjust them to the rigging Yards.
I am not sure about the Woundings od Timber Rings. I believe that I would go with the Woundings, but to be sure I would send Dave over at the Lumberyard a PM to ask this question. Dave has a lot of knowledge on these ships plus he has all or most of Harold M Hahn archives of information at his fingertips.
I do hope that I have helped you out a bit, but like I say you are a year plus ahead of me in my build, I do keep referring back to your Oliver Cromwell for ideas and to check out just how you have done some things, ENJOY.
Regards Lawrence

Thanks, Lawrence, your answer helped me a lot! I will have a look a Guzman's.
I already wrote to Dave about a week ago but he did not respond.
Regards
Janos
Hello Janos
I do believe that the Guzman's pictures will solve your belaying pin problems. The rigging ones may be helpful also, I believe it is always nice and easier to check these things out beforehand as it makes things much easier, in the long run, ENJOY.
Regards Lawrence

She coming on great mare.
You will need to get orange LEDs, and if you can get the flickering type......more like a candle.;):p
Hello Greg
Thanks for your visit to my build log. Also for your very kind words and nice comments. I was just about to send you a PM to inquire about your whereabouts as I thought that you may have been ill. It is too late to on the orange flickering Led Lights as I ordered and received them around 2 months ago, maybe next time. Yes, the Oliver Cromwell is finally starting to grow. But I will be working on the inside cabins storerooms for some time yet, ENJOY.
Regards Lawrence

Hello Ship Mates
Once again I thank you all very much for all of your visits to my build log in the little ship the Oliver Cromwell. Also for your kind words and nice comments.

Back in the Old Ship Yard the little fellows and I have been working on the Main Jeer Bitts. We have made the tops just a bit more fancy as to give us a bit of practice on the Main Topsail Sheet Bitts that are very much out in the open. This will be our next job, ENJOY.

Regards LawrenceIMG_5365.JPGIMG_5366.JPG

Back