Oliver Cromwell, POF ,Scale 1:48 by Lawrence [COMPLETED BUILD]

They are looking very good - in the second photo, it is looking like some white paint, but I guess it is only the sun-shine, or?
Hello Uwe
I thank you for your visit and also for your very kind words and comments. Yes, that picture with the splash of white upon it is indeed sunlight. This picture I should have retaken. Still working on the Main Topsail Sheet Bitts. They are much more detailed and I have also refined my method just a bit, ENJOY.
Regards Lawrence

Hi Lawrence, I absolutely love your attention to small details, for example, shaves in bits rails, I suspect they are from bras? Did you make them your own?
Hello Jim
Thank you very much for your visit to my build log. Also for your very kind words and nice comments. I do believe that you are referring to the brass sheaves in the bit rails. I wish that I could cut my own brass Sheaves but I do not have a lathe to do so. I wish that I did have a lathe but cannot see me laying out $1500 to $2000 for one at my age if this was 25 years ago then I would not hesitate. I bought my brass sheaves from the Model Dock Yard in England. Yes, I do like detail and I am always trying to add it to my ship builds, ENJOY. Regards Lawrence

LOVE YOUR WORK LAWRENCE, GREAT CRAFTMANSHIP, AND TO JANOS BE PATENCE WITH DAVE HE HAS SOME SERIOUS FAMILY ISSUES, MAYBE YOU SHOULD CONTACT Ev AND SHE CAN GET A MESSAGE TO HIM. Don
Hello Donfarr
I thank you for your visit to my build log. Also for your very kind words and nice comments. I do keep trying to improve on my shipbuilding skills. Never to old to learn, this I believe is why I find model ship building so interesting and challenging, ENJOY.
Regards Lawrence

I wish that I could cut my own brass Sheaves but I do not have a lathe to do so.
Hi Lawrence, unfortunately, most of us don't have the ability to buy a good lathe and other useful power tools. I am glad that we can find parts and source them from suppliers. Nothing wrong with that! :)

Hello Ship Mates

I thank you all very much for all of your visits to my build log. Also for your very kind words and nice comments.

Back in the Old Ship Yard the little fellows and I have spent the last 3 or 4 days working on the Main Topsail Sheet Bitts. We have also completed the Gallows that sits upon the Topsail Bitts along with its scroll-likeIMG_5367.JPGIMG_5368.JPG wood engraving. I believe our next task will be to construct the Coaming for the Aft Hatch Grating. The Gratings will come much later, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence

Good job Lawrence, yesterday I saw a lot of videos that were shown here on SOS,
(ship modeling videos on YouTube by models Kudin Andrey).
If you have time and patience, there are many good building techniques to find here.
Jim can probably find the link for you.

Hello Ship Mates

Today I was horrified to discover that there is a difference in the mast placement between the Oliver Cromwell and that of the Swan class ships that I have been relying on heavily on the building of the cabins on the lower deck. Today I started measuring up for the After Hatch that sits just aft of the Well and just forward of the Pantry. For them both to fit into this space I needed 70.5mm or 2.77", I found that I only had 47mm or 1.88" leaving little or no room for the After Hatch. So after discovering this, I have decided at this stage in my build that my best bet is to forget this little After Hatch and fill in the little extra space with the Pantry only. As to move the Main Mast and Well forward would be a big job taking into account that this Aft Hatch would not be visible or very little at the most. I do request my Ship Mates input and there thinking on this situation that I have dug my way into, ENJOY. Regards Lawrence

Are you talking about the hatch on the berth deck or main deck?
Did you place the mast and well according to the OC plan?

GK
Hello Gilles
I guess this sort of thing happens when one uses two sets of plans to work on one ship. Yes, the mast were placed as per Harold M Hahn plans but when I started using the TFFM book for the lower deck this is where the difference comes into play. I have decided to forget this Aft Hatch and go with just the Pantry, ENJOY.
Regards Lawrence

Hello Ship Mates
Not a great day for the Old Ship Yard, as I sent the Oliver Cromwell over to the rebuild section of the Old Ship Yard. There the little fellows and I removed the waterways, Lower Deck Beams, the Magazine and the cabins, and most of the lower platform except for a couple of deck beams.

Today we discovered that we had built the Magazine to long and un thinly extended the lower platform to make room for the cabins on this platform.

Just why we did that I do not really know and this will remain a mystery. So onward we will start the rebuild this time looking much further ahead and making sure that there is room for the Aft Hatch along with the Pantry, ENJOY

Regards LawrenceIMG_5369.JPG

Not a great day for the Old Ship Yard, as I sent the Oliver Cromwell over to the rebuild section of the Old Ship Yard. There the little fellows and I removed the waterways, Lower Deck Beams, the Magazine and the cabins, and most of the lower platform except for a couple of deck beams.
Today we discovered that we had built the Magazine to long and un thinly extended the lower platform to make room for the cabins on this platform.
Just why we did that I do not really know and this will remain a mystery. So onward we will start the rebuild this time looking much further ahead and making sure that there is room for the Aft Hatch along with the Pantry.

Good morning Lawrence,
It is not a bad day when you discover an error. Glad you find yourself willing to do the necessary changes: even it if means a complete "redo" in a particular area.
GK

Good morning Lawrence,
It is not a bad day when you discover an error. Glad you find yourself willing to do the necessary changes: even it if means a complete "redo" in a particular area.
GK
Hello Gilles
I thank you very much for your visit to my build log. Also for your very kind words and comments. Yes, I am not afraid of a redo, but it is always a challenge not having to do them at all, but this is what makes a model ship building such a great hobby, ENJOY.
Regards Lawrence

Good that you discovered the error now and not later, then it would probably have been much harder to correct, good luck.
Hello Knut
Thank you for your visit to my build log. Also for your very kind words and nice comments. Yes, I do try not to have to do these re-dos, but they are enable in this type of a hobby. Like you say a bit later and it would have been much worse, ENJOY.
Regards Lawrence

Lawrence,
The OC plans does not contains that much detail but it does have the aft cabins layout for the lower deck: nothing for the front area stores (if any) and nothing for the main deck, which I am confident, would have been fitted with a wardroom as well as officers quarters, etc..... even as a privateer.
If I may make a suggestion, it would be wise to follow the info available on the plan and find other documentation for what is not shown. As far as the actual building of the lower cabins' bulkheads / walls for the aft section, I would use what you have found elsewhere as it pertains to the structure (wood boards, etc..) but the layout should remain as per the plan. Other rooms' layout on the main deck would be something to look into from US ships built at the time period and adapt the findings to the available space, the use and the size of the ship.
Furthermore, when working from 2 sets of plans, one being from another ship, although it may be the same class, my priority would be the plans of the ship I am working on, then extract other info from the second set but within certain parameters. If the 2nd set (plan) was from the same ship, but let say, after a later documented refit or a capture of the vessel by a different entity, then you would have to make a choice as to which version you would want to represent. Some info applies to different ships of the same rate / class, although I do understand that a vessel such as the OC may not have been built according to formal Navy Establishments due to its status. And I do not know enough of US building regulations anyways.
This is just my way of looking at this.......
GK

Hello Gilles
I do thank you for your visit and also for your information. I do believe that I have figured out my little problem, for some reason I built the Magazine to large and this through everything else out of whack. Things are going back together rather nicely and in another day or so I will be back where I was before I discovered my big boo-boo, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence

Hello Ship Mates

Once again I do thank you all very much for all of your visits to my build log. Also for your very kind words and nice comments. Winter struck with a vintage this AM when we arose. So after breakfast, I dug out the garden tractor snowblower and cleaned the walks and driveway of the 4+" or 10+mm of fresh very heavy snow. Now at 3 PM, the temp has climbed to 45F or 8c and it is around 1/2 melted. Will attach a picture of our back yard at sunrise. Back in the Old Ship Yard the little fellows and I have been working all week in the rebuild section of the Old Ship Yard. We have rebuilt the Aft Lower Platform and compacted the Magazine down in size a bit. Rebuilt the housing on this platform, rebuilt the Fish Room or Spirits Room, reinstalled the ladder to the lower deck, we also cut the Cartage Rack almost in half to make it fit in the smaller Magazine and last but not the least we framed in the Beams for the After Hatch that before we did not have the room to do so, ENJOY. Regards Lawrence

IMG_5372.JPGIMG_5373.JPGIMG_5374.JPG

Back