Oliver Cromwell, POF ,Scale 1:48 by Lawrence [COMPLETED BUILD]

Good work Lawrence, nice to see how to make the doors, questions, are there any special reasons why the doors open both ways ?.
Hello Knut, I thank you for your very kind words and nice comments I am following the plans in my TFFM book for these bulkheads port side opens inward and the starboard side opens outward on the aft bulkhead. How ever on the forward bulkhead I will have both door opening inward, just my way that's all, ENJOY
Regards Lawrence

I think, one doorset was strictly used for entry, another to exit. This a great way to avoid cru collision while emergency or avral, for example. :cool:
Hello Jim, I thank you very much for your input on the two doors per side from the Admiralty drawing that I found on the web. It tells me that the port door leads to Steerage on the forward side and on the after side it leads to the Great Room. The doors on the starboard side lead to the Masters Bed Place and to the aft side it leads to the Great Room. I hope that I have not mixed you up to badly with my description of these doors, ENJOY.
Regards Lawrence

Hello Jim, I thank you very much for your input on the two doors per side from the Admiralty drawing that I found on the web. It tells me that the port door leads to Steerage on the forward side and on the after side it leads to the Great Room. The doors on the starboard side lead to the Masters Bed Place and to the aft side it leads to the Great Room. I hope that I have not mixed you up to badly with my description of these doors, ENJOY.
Regards Lawrence
Hello Jim, I forgot to mention that there is only one door on this drawing for the forward bulkhead the second door is my idea, will try to attach this drawing, ENJOY. Regards LawrenceROOM AHEAD OF THE G.C...jpg

Hello Ship Mates
IMG_5547.JPGIMG_5548.JPGIMG_5549.JPG
Work continues in the Old Ship Yard as the little fellows and I have completed and installed the forward bulkhead. We found this one much easier to build. Now we have the dividing bulkhead between the Masters sleeping area and Steerage. To make installing this easier we have only friction fitted the two doors on the starboard side, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence

IMG_5550.JPGIMG_5551.JPGIMG_5552.JPGHello Ship Mates

The little fellows and I have completed all of the bulkheads in the aft section of our Oliver Cromwell build. We had to remove one of the doors from the Great Room to the Masters sleeping area. We have also notched out this bulkhead for the 3 over head beams. These are only dry fitted and tomorrow we will install this divider bulkhead leaving the beams loose for now to give us access to install the canons and a bed place in this very tiny area.

On a different note our order of the Natural Pear Wood arrived here today from Dave Stevens over at the Lumberyard, this wood looks very good to me and hope it will bend as easily as our test strips did a few weeks ago. It will be nice to work again on the bigger parts of our ship, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence

IMG_5553.JPGIMG_5554.JPGIMG_5555.JPGIMG_5556.JPG Hello Ship Mates

Work continues in the Old Ship Yard but at a very slow pace as there is so many other things to life to keep the little fellows and I away from the Old Ship Yard. However, this week the little fellows and I have planked the Lower Counter in Boxwood. We also started the outer hull planking above the Whales also in Boxwood. We had planed on planking the outer hull below the Whales also in Boxwood, however we could not get these planks to bend into the Lower Counter, at the Bow area we had no trouble at all. So we decided to use Natural Pear Wood below the Whales, as it is fairly easy to bend, ENJOY

Regards Lawrence

Lawrence, very nice plank work, can you tell / show how to bend the planks under Whales at the back of the hull.
The question is because it is a very strong bend, (almost 90%), which is certainly difficult to get.
Regards-

Lawrence, very nice plank work, can you tell / show how to bend the planks under Whales at the back of the hull.
The question is because it is a very strong bend, (almost 90%), which is certainly difficult to get.
Regards-
Hello Knut, I thank you for your very kind words and also for your visit. As you know I tried to bend the 2x5mm boxwood around to the lower counter with no luck at all. I then switched to natural pear wood that looks some what like boxwood also in the 2x5mm. Holding the planks against the lower wales I got the angle for my plank, I then held the plank against the lower counter plank and scribed it on the inside with my led pencell to give me the bend line . I then soaked the ends of my hull planking in warm water for around 1/2 hour. I then took my little soldering iron and plugged it into my restate to control the heat and then slowly bent the plank ducking it in the water several times. the bow bend is simply soak the plank in water and bend around an property item I used one of my Admirals little pots that id just under 4" or 100mm, hopes that this helps, ENJOY.
Regards Lawrence

soldering iron with temperature control and soaking the materials, well explained, this I will try when I get this far, thanks Lawrence.

don't forget the type of wood some wood you can soak in water until it grown roots and it will not bend. I came across some Katalox common name is Mexican Ebony really nice wood very heavy and brittle. I tried to bend it and so far not a chance.

don't forget the type of wood some wood you can soak in water until it grown roots and it will not bend. I came across some Katalox common name is Mexican Ebony really nice wood very heavy and brittle. I tried to bend it and so far not a chance.
Thanks Dave, I have not yet come across that one yet, I do believe that I will leave it to you experts. The Natural pear is bending not bad at all and I do like the like of it, Thanks, ENJOY.
Regards Lawrence

IMG_5557.JPGIMG_5558.JPGIMG_5559.JPGHello Ship Mates

These last two weeks have been very difficult for my Admiral and myself as our son Dennis lost his fight with cancer on 02 December. I have not felt like working very much in the Old Ship Yard very much. But one dose get bored with twilling one’s thumbs for hours at a time. So, I would try to forget just a little by doing a little work on my Oliver Cromwell and it did help a little.
The little fellows are just as involved in thought as I am, but we did complete the lower hull planking on the Starboard side and add a couple of natural pear planks on the Port side to just below the first set of cut outs. A second set well continue just below these.
I wish to thank all of my Ship Mates for all of your support in these very difficult times for my Family and my self, Thank you all very much.
Regards Lawrence

Beautiful job, Lawrence! And my condolences about your loss. In days like this the best cure is to get into the hobby as much as you can. True, it does not occupy your brains fully, I know from experience. But it still helps.
Janos

Back