Oliver Cromwell, POF ,Scale 1:48 by Lawrence [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hallo Lawrence,
the windows are looking very good - very straight and accurate
Only the last one at the right end is different, but this is off course shown more extreme because of the close up photo.
I know it by myself -> afterwards you are maybe also angry not to have changed and correct it, when it was possible -> just a friendly comment from one friend to another one......

Hallo Lawrence,
the windows are looking very good - very straight and accurate
Only the last one at the right end is different, but this is off course shown more extreme because of the close up photo.
I know it by myself -> afterwards you are maybe also angry not to have changed and correct it, when it was possible -> just a friendly comment from one friend to another one......
Hello Uwe, I thank you very much for your visit, also for your honesty this I appreciate very much. I did not see this window being off square until I took the close up and then it was too late. How ever I have since correct this little problem. On the ship it's self it did not look all that bad but with the close up it looked horrible. Yes please keep the friendly comments coming, they do help with these old eyes of mine.
Regards Lawrence

IMG_5616.JPGIMG_5617.JPGIMG_5618.JPGIMG_5619.JPG Hello Ship Mates

We have found a bit of free time to work in the Old Ship Yard. The little fellows and I have built the ships rudder along with the Pintles and straps [ or rudder hinges] along with the Spectacle Plate, that the chains attach to the hull of the ship in case of accidental rudder loss and can also be used for emergency steering. These we have installed on our ship. We still have the Rudder Tiller to build.

Regards Lawrence

Wow - very good work - looks like you found the correct shape of the rudder ( definitely we can easily see, that the rudder blade is much thinner at the bottom. Also the metal works are looking good - and you did not forget the false-keel
Very good work my friend Thumbs-Up Thumbs-Up

BTW: I am not sure, if the term "False keel" at the rudder bottom end is the correct technical term - Maybe especially here at the rudder it could have a different term - maybe somebody knows this detail?

Wow - very good work - looks like you found the correct shape of the rudder ( definitely we can easily see, that the rudder blade is much thinner at the bottom. Also the metal works are looking good - and you did not forget the false-keel
Very good work my friend Thumbs-Up Thumbs-Up

BTW: I am not sure, if the term "False keel" at the rudder bottom end is the correct technical term - Maybe especially here at the rudder it could have a different term - maybe somebody knows this detail?
Hello Uwe, Thank you very much for your great reply and also for your very kind words. Yes the ships ruder was a bit of a challenge but a very enjoyable one at that. Not sure what the term for the rudder false keel is as this is not on my plans. I kind of figured that it would add a nice touch and now I am rather glad that I did.
Regards Lawrence

Hello Ship Mates

The little fellows and I have spent the lather part of this week building the ships Bowsprit, the Bowsprit Cap along with all of its eye bolts, the 2 Bees with there 2 working sheaves in each side. The saddle for the Jibboom that we have not cut to lengths or shaped as yet, a saddle to contain the Running Rigging and last but not the least the Gammoning Cleats and to top this all off we have given the whole thing a coat of Varnish.

Regards Lawrence IMG_5622.JPGIMG_5623.JPGIMG_5624.JPG

Hello Gilles Korent, Welcome back, misted you with your great comments. Hope to see your build log soon.
Regards Lawrence
small hint:
if you add a "@" in front of the members nickname, than the member will get a message, that he was mentioned in a post.
means @Gilles Korent

Hi Lawrence,
This just came to my mind, but I remember, the old "model shipwright magazine" had a series of detailed articles on building the Oliver Cromwell. In the days, they were hardcover journals. I think the articles were written by H. Hahn in the 80's?. I used to have a copy of these magazines but lost them all a few years back.
I know I had found them very useful and were a nice complement to the plans.

Regards

Hi Lawrence,
This just came to my mind, but I remember, the old "model shipwright magazine" had a series of detailed articles on building the Oliver Cromwell. In the days, they were hardcover journals. I think the articles were written by H. Hahn in the 80's?. I used to have a copy of these magazines but lost them all a few years back.

Regards
I have in my library a complete set of the Model Shipwrights - if you are looking for special articles - please give me a hint

I have in my library a complete set of the Model Shipwrights - if you are looking for special articles - please give me a hint

Thank you Uwe.
I will contact you through private message.
Sorry for hijacking the thread.
Moderators: please delete at your discretion. Thank you!
G.

Hi Lawrence,

Regards
Hello Gilles, Thanks for your information, It seams like I can never get enough. Yes I have been on this web page before and came across Raul Guzman and his picture article of the Oliver Cromwell a couple of years ago. I will have to give it a more throurel search for articles on Harold M. Hahn.
Regards Lawrence

Hello Ship Mates

The little fellows and I have spent most of last week working on the 12 main cannons that occupy the main deck of the Oliver Cromwell. I decided to take a short cut and ordered the canons and carriages from Dave Stevens over at the Lumberyard, he did a great job on these, thanks Dave this has saved us a lot of work but there still was a lot of eye bolts and rings to make that seam to take forever. For some strange reason I feel becalmed a lot and can not seam to get a lot done. Never the less we have cleaned up the Laser Char from the carriage’s, assembled them and given them a coat of Tung N’ Teak oil. The cannons we gave them a coat of Acrylic black paint and then toped that off with a coat of Dullcote to toughen and to dull them down a bit.

The CapsquareIMG_5625.JPGIMG_5626.JPGIMG_5627.JPGIMG_5628.JPGpost-4-0-58312300-1372901086.jpg caps I have seen those made by Alexey Baranov; he doses great work that is for sure. However, I priced a set of 48 Capsquare caps that is required for my little ship. These Alexey priced at $4.00 each per cap and also with $50.00 shipping to me here in Canada giving me a total of #242.00, then I would have to add the tax and duty that would bring the cost to me well over $300.00. His caps are very nice but this is too rich for my blood. I will attach a picture below. So, the little fellows and I built our own caps out of a sheet of brass that we annealed and painted black along with 4 brass nails per cannon. It looks like we will have to make a bunch of Quoin’s to level out the cannons to the gun ports, but that is another day.

Regards Lawrence

Hello Ship Mates

The little fellows and I have spent most of last week working on the 12 main cannons that occupy the main deck of the Oliver Cromwell. I decided to take a short cut and ordered the canons and carriages from Dave Stevens over at the Lumberyard, he did a great job on these, thanks Dave this has saved us a lot of work but there still was a lot of eye bolts and rings to make that seam to take forever. For some strange reason I feel becalmed a lot and can not seam to get a lot done. Never the less we have cleaned up the Laser Char from the carriage’s, assembled them and given them a coat of Tung N’ Teak oil. The cannons we gave them a coat of Acrylic black paint and then toped that off with a coat of Dullcote to toughen and to dull them down a bit.

The CapsquareView attachment 131803View attachment 131804View attachment 131805View attachment 131806View attachment 131807 caps I have seen those made by Alexey Baranov; he doses great work that is for sure. However, I priced a set of 48 Capsquare caps that is required for my little ship. These Alexey priced at $4.00 each per cap and also with $50.00 shipping to me here in Canada giving me a total of #242.00, then I would have to add the tax and duty that would bring the cost to me well over $300.00. His caps are very nice but this is too rich for my blood. I will attach a picture below. So, the little fellows and I built our own caps out of a sheet of brass that we annealed and painted black along with 4 brass nails per cannon. It looks like we will have to make a bunch of Quoin’s to level out the cannons to the gun ports, but that is another day.

Regards Lawrence
The costs of shipping even without tax is prohibitive. I was quoted $400 for sending a kit from USA. (postage not DHL) . Sometimes in the past, I managed to a delivery locally and a friend has brought it as part of his luggage. Perhaps in our community of builders there could be organised a mutually beneficial exchange of favors?

Back