Oliver Cromwell, POF ,Scale 1:48 by Lawrence [COMPLETED BUILD]

IMG_5629.JPG Hello Ship Mates

The little fellows and I have had a rather busy afternoon. We have added all of the Capsquare caps to our 12- 9 pounder cannons installed the wheels and given them a coat of Tung’ N Teak Oil. The rigging is the next step for these guns but I think that we will build the 6-6 pounders to finish off the main gun deck before doing the rigging.

Regards Lawrence

Hello Ship Mates

IMG_5630.JPGIMG_5631.JPG We finished building the 6 -6 pounders to complete all of the canons on the gun deck. These are quite a bit smaller than the 12- 9 pounders that we built last week, and being smaller are much more finicky to work on and assemble. Now the question is do we build the 6 remaining canons that sit apon the upper decks, or we bight the bullet and start to rig all of the canons on the gun deck.

Regards Lawrence

Last edited:
Great work, Lawrence!
Cannon rigging is satisfying at the moment it is finished - but a big struggle until that point of time!
Janos
Hello Janos, I thank you for your visit and also for your very kind words and comments. Yes I will agree with you on that one, rigging the canons is not one of my favoured tasks in model ship building, but then again one can only put it off for just so long, I think that I will build the other 6- 4 pounders before tackling the rigging.
Regards Lawrence

Hello Ship Mates

Just a little update today as I wanted to share my new set of Artesania Latins Micro Shapers for cutting the trim moldings for my Oliver Cromwell that should come in very handy once the canons are installed and rigged out..

Regards LawrenceView attachment 132815
saw them and bought them 2 months ago when there was almost none to be had. Worried that the company had gone out of business. Glad you got some -never succeeded with cutting shape in a razor blade

saw them and bought them 2 months ago when there was almost none to be had. Worried that the company had gone out of business. Glad you got some -never succeeded with cutting shape in a razor blade
Hello Stuglo, Thanks for your come back, yes I got mine trough Amazon.ca from a company in Austria. They look very good.
Regards Lawrence

Hi Lawrence.
The guns look good.
Did you have to drill the bore? if so how far down?
Thank you.
G.
Hello Gilles, I thank you for your visit, also for your very kind comments. No the cannons and carriages were supplied by Dave Stevens over at the Lumberyard as a kit. I had to build and add the Trunnions Caps along with the brass rings and so on. The cannons were drilled when they arrived to a depth of around .137" or 3.5mm, on the 9 pounder, hope this helps.
Regards Lawrence

Hello Ship Mates

I have been trying a number of ways to build the cannons breeching cables with a lot of ideas tried. I also searched the web and come up with this very clever idea, it looked good to me so I gave it a try. I built this little building jig in no time at all. It holds the rings so that I am able to splice the breaching cable and will give me the others that I need at the same length.

Regards LawrenceIMG_5637.JPG

Back