Oliver Cromwell, POF ,Scale 1:48 by Lawrence [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hello Ship Mates

The little fellows and I have been rather busy the last couple of days building the Cannon Breaching cables. We have completed the 12 - 9 pounders, adding the ring bolts and rings to each end of the breaching cable and also attaching the Cascable Buttons with a split splice, rather simple but we believe that it looks ok. We also have decided to add the Breaching Cables to the 6- 6 pounders before installing the cannons.

Regards LawrenceIMG_5639.JPG

One short info related to the breaching cable attaching the Cascable Buttons of the muzzle.
Here the rope was not spliced, but turned once around the button
Very good photos shown of the USS Constitution is showing this
I hope it is working showing the photo research

One short info related to the breaching cable attaching the Cascable Buttons of the muzzle.
Here the rope was not spliced, but turned once around the button
Very good photos shown of the USS Constitution is showing this
I hope it is working showing the photo research
Hello Uwe, You sure have acquired a welth of very fine information on the Breaching Cable of these cannons, Thanks again.
Regards Lawrence

Lawrence, good progress, the guns look good, exciting to see this work, it gives me good information on how my
Blandford cannons can be.
Regards-
Hello Knut, I thank you for your kind words and comments. It is always nice to see that another Ship Mate can use some information on my build log. Now I must tackle the cannon rigging, it looks endless.
Regards Lawrence

Hello Ship Mates

The last couple of days we have spent it making tiny hooks, tying single and double blocks along with starter rings for the rigging of the cannons on the gun deck, When my Admiral approached me saying when I was going to draw out the sails on the sail cloth so that she could start to sew them up in her spare time and not wanting to be put under any sort of hurry. So I kind of figured that this would give us a break from all of those sets of rigging blocks and tackle. After locating our previous drawings from some time ago we did manage to draw up 4 sails, so that will keep her happy for at least a few days.

Regards Lawrence

IMG_5642.JPGIMG_5643.JPG

Hi Lawrence,
I had some catching up to do on your blog but it lookes great. Did you specifically not burnish the brass parts on the gun carriages? The look very sharp this way.
Hello Maarten, welcome back, I misted you. I have sense this picture darkened to the brass as I thought it was a bit to bright. Still working on the cannon rigging but should start installing them as soo as I rig them.
Regards Lawrence

Hello Maarten, welcome back, I misted you. I have sense this picture darkened to the brass as I thought it was a bit to bright. Still working on the cannon rigging but should start installing them as soo as I rig them.
Regards Lawrence
Sorry was out for skiing in the Italian Alps (Dolomites). We had a wonderfull time but unfortunately now back to normal live.

When my Admiral approached me saying when I was going to draw out the sails on the sail cloth so that she could start to sew them up in her spare time and not wanting to be put under any sort of hurry. So I kind of figured that this would give us a break from all of those sets of rigging blocks and tackle. After locating our previous drawings from some time ago we did manage to draw up 4 sails.

Hi Lawrence,
What kind of material are you using for the sails? How heavy is the cloth?
Is your Admiral going to build the sails by assembling the different "canvas" parts or in one piece with simulated stitches?
Thank you.
G

Hi Lawrence,
What kind of material are you using for the sails? How heavy is the cloth?
Is your Admiral going to build the sails by assembling the different "canvas" parts or in one piece with simulated stitches?
Thank you.
G
Hello Gilles, I purchased the sail cloth from the Model Dockyard in the UK over a year ago now. Put out by New Cap Maquettes,
Sail Cloth Off White 1000mm x 700mm sheet
Ref: CAP/VO7E
It is an off white and a rather uneven texture that should look very nice to build the sails out off. These will be sewing by my Admiral to simulate the panels of a sail. It would be a huge undertaking to sew each of these panels into one sail, this would be very nice but I am afraid that my Admiral would trough in the towel if I requested such a thing.
Regards Lawrence

Hello Ship Mates

Well after a busy week I have finally got two sets of side rigging blocks on two cannons installed. We did run into a bit of trouble but it looks like we have over come this. First the rigging blocks that I had on hand were but 4mm and figured that they would be small enough, looks like I should have reordered a bunch of 2mm, but I do believe that I can live with these even if they a bit over size. Secondly the tiny hooks that I thought were very tiny, they were just a bit to long and I had to re-bend these but not a big deal. Only 30 more sets to build and install.

Regards Lawrence

IMG_5644.JPG

Hello Ship Mates, just received another package from Dave Stevens over at the Lumberyard of 200+ rigging blocks, they sure do look great. Now I can complete the cannon rigging for those on the gun deck. Thank you very much Dave for your over generosity, you sure are a great help.
Regards LawrenceIMG_5645.JPG

Back