Oliver Cromwell, POF ,Scale 1:48 by Lawrence [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hello Paul, Thanks for your very kind words. I have dealt for years now with Cornwall Model Boats but the last few years I have leaned towards The Model Dock Yard even though they are a smaller company. As they list items in stock and over at C.M.B. they do not leaving me with double shipping. Yes I did enjoy HMS Victory a very enjoyable build, she holds a lot of very fond memories. Yes the Hemp Rope that these company's sell is rather hard to work with, You could try wetting it to soften it up a bit, or better still head over to your sewing store and get some off white Crochet Twine, it comes in many thicknesses and will work much better for rigging all of those cannons. For the Rigging hemp douse a great job. I told my Admiral what you said and she just smiled. Well attach a few picture of my HMS Victory taken a couple of years ago outside on our deck for a dedusting.
Regards LawrenceView attachment 137210View attachment 137211

Hi Lawrence
Lovely model of HMS Victory, I built it once but from a kit many years ago when I was living in the Canary Islands. Thanks for your sound advice which I will try when I come to do the gun carriages on the Upper deck. I used to deal with the Dockyard, I even have their 2002 catalogue but I found they made so many mistakes on my orders I changed to Cornwall, much happier and I don't mind waiting when it's not in stock. there's always something else to work on! I think it's a great part of scratch building trying to get it right what to order, how many eyepins. rigging blocks, timber and many more etc's.
Nice talking to you
Paul

IMG_5661.JPGIMG_5662.JPG Hello Ship Mates

This afternoon we installed the Main Topsail sheet Pins, these we built some time ago but just had to be fitted. We decided to add the Gallows Cross-piece such as on a Swan class Ship.as we thought it would add just a but of class over those in the Hahn’s Plans. We do realize that this is not anthemic, but it is just one of the things that we wanted to do.

Regards Lawrence

IMG_5663.JPGIMG_5664.JPG Hello Ship Mates
It has been a rather interesting couple of days in the Old Ship Yard as the little fellows and I have final installed the Galley Stove that we built quite some time ago. We have also Framed in the Forecastle Deck Framing giving our little ship a bit more of the finished look and we have also started work on the Coamings for this Forecastle Deck.
Regards Lawrence

Hi Lawrence,

I love that galley stove, you have micro flame leds installed in it?
Now just a small roast pig on it and bbq.
Hello Maarten, I thank you for your visit, also for your very nice words and nice comments. The Galley stove just seamed a bit special and just could not help dressing it up just a bit.
Regards Lawrence

One short info related to the breaching cable attaching the Cascable Buttons of the muzzle.
Here the rope was not spliced, but turned once around the button
Very good photos shown of the USS Constitution is showing this
I hope it is working showing the photo research

G'day Uwe they did also use a cut splice on some of the cannon,

CuntSplice.gif

GunTackle.jpg.112bd661ce0372fa85d6c2f323c15200.jpg.add8998a79e67f80cc3ff24ec5eabeea.jpg

best regards John,

Well I've just been catching up on your build and all i can say is Wow you have really gone to town on her she is fabulous, I really like your idea's and the way you approach tasks, the pumps, gratings and cannon among all the other things as well, are amazing, and most of all you are enjoying it, well done my Friend,

best regards john,

IMG_5665.JPGIMG_5666.JPGIMG_5667.JPGIMG_5668.JPGHello Ship Mates
This AM the little fellows and I completed the Led Lighting on our little ship the Oliver Cromwell. And of course we just had to give them a test run. We are very pleased with the two little Red Led Lamps that we installed in the Galley Stove they sure seamed to make it come alive. The Led Lamp in the Binnacle was just to bright and we toned it down with a dab of white glue, much more realistic now. With these working ok now, we can get on to planking the Focal Fore Deck.
Regards Lawrence

G'day Uwe they did also use a cut splice on some of the cannon,

View attachment 138183

View attachment 138184

best regards John,
Hello John, I do thank you very much for your information on the Breaching Cables. I can see that a cut splice would do a very nice strong splice but at this scale I am working with it would be quite a fare task to apply them on all of my cannons. I took the easier way out.
Regards Lawrence

Well I've just been catching up on your build and all i can say is Wow you have really gone to town on her she is fabulous, I really like your idea's and the way you approach tasks, the pumps, gratings and cannon among all the other things as well, are amazing, and most of all you are enjoying it, well done my Friend,

best regards john,
Hello John. Thank you for all of your very nice comments, I thy to use you as one of my examples of just how to do some of these tasks, but can never quite to catch up with your great expertise, but I do try.
Regards Lawrence

IMG_5671.JPGIMG_5672.JPGIMG_5673.JPG Hello Ship Mates
Back in the Old Ship Yard the little fellows and I have built the two Cat Heads along with there 3 brass sheaves in each
. We did try the easy way out by bending the Bow Rails but soon gave up on that as they were just too wide to bend easily so we resorted to cutting them out on our scroll saw. We have installed the lower Rail, the two Cats Heads and along with the Cowing and Grating.
Regards Lawrence

Lawrence,
I did the same on Oliver (misunderstood your question on the other thread, I was thinking on the wales then). I tried and failed the other possible method there. The bow rails are say 6mm wide and 2 mm high. Bending on edge is out of question. Instead, I made a 6x6 square and tried to bend it. It did not go because the material was Costelo and was a bit stiff for that. But if the material is more forgiving and can be bent to shape in a 6x6 square then there is nothing else to do then thickness-sending it to 2 mm and here we go...
Janos

Lawrence,
I did the same on Oliver (misunderstood your question on the other thread, I was thinking on the wales then). I tried and failed the other possible method there. The bow rails are say 6mm wide and 2 mm high. Bending on edge is out of question. Instead, I made a 6x6 square and tried to bend it. It did not go because the material was Costelo and was a bit stiff for that. But if the material is more forgiving and can be bent to shape in a 6x6 square then there is nothing else to do then thickness-sending it to 2 mm and here we go...
Janos
Hello Janos, Yes in your previous reply I kind of figured you were thinking of the Wales. I did try to bend some Natural Pear but being that wide I soon gave up on that idea, had it been just one piece I would have tried some heat bur with 5 pices to bend, Decided that the scrolled saw was the way to go.
Regards Lawrence

IMG_5676.JPGIMG_5674.JPGIMG_5675.JPGHello Ship Mates
Work continues at a very slow pace in the Old Ship Yard. The little guys and I have built the Railing that raps around the Focal area. We used our newly acquired Artesania Latina scrapers to enhance the upper Rail, this we are quite pleased with as it worked quite well. The Stanchions that support the upper Rail is another story. These we built out of two pices per stanchion rather than cut all of those square wholes in the Rail, These we may just go back and rebuild, but for the time being we will leave it as is.
Regards Lawrence

Lawrence, good progress, nice result with the Railing, how did you make the arch, hot water / steam, or were they cut out of a material.
I also have microshapers from artesania, I used it on the door frame in my Blandford, exciting to see how long they last.
Regards-

Back