Oliver Cromwell, POF ,Scale 1:48 by Lawrence [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hello Robin, Small world is it not. I grew up in a little town of Windsor Junction, 16 miles out side of Halifax.
Regards Lawrence
Very small Lawrence, in fact I was born in Australia, came to TO at age 2, from there to Schomberg where I grew up not far from you now!
Came out east on holiday in 79, got off the train at Orangedale Station, Cape Breton Island and forgot to go home. Been here ever since, after 16 years on the Island I moved to Halifax in 95 :)
Windsor Jct would have been a great place to grow up. Lots of canoeing around there to eh ;)
PS: I've been eyeing Dave's/Harold's Halifax... But I am getting way off topic sorry...

Very small Lawrence, in fact I was born in Australia, came to TO at age 2, from there to Schomberg where I grew up not far from you now!
Came out east on holiday in 79, got off the train at Orangedale Station, Cape Breton Island and forgot to go home. Been here ever since, after 16 years on the Island I moved to Halifax in 95 :)
Windsor Jct would have been a great place to grow up. Lots of canoeing around there to eh ;)
PS: I've been eyeing Dave's/Harold's Halifax... But I am getting way off topic sorry...
Hello Robin, Yes the Junction was a great place for kids. May I ask who you were referring to when you spoke of Dave's/Harold's Halifax?
Regards Lawrence

Hello Robin, Yes I know what you mean on a small work space. I work in my PC room, a little desk on the far side, lots of room in the basement but my Admiral kicked me out of it because of health problems, but I make do.
Yes Dave over at the Lumber Yard has a lot of very interesting model ship kits and also the wood to build a complete scratch build. You will find him very knowledgeable and also very helpful if you should require help or info. on your build.
Regards Lawrence

Hello Ship Mates
We have spent the last week working on the ships bow area We have built and installed the lower bow rail and the Cats Head supports, We have added the lower Bow area supports and trim. We have installed the deck gratings for this deck and also added the 4 seats of ease, taking extra care to make splinter free, not wanting to enrage the little fellows. We have also built the two False Rails and installed these. My plans had no drawings for this the Head Deck and so on, so we borrowed these ideas from our TFFM Book. We did change the two bow Rails around a bit just a bit more to our fancy.
Regards Lawrence
IMG_5752.JPGIMG_5753.JPGIMG_5754.JPGIMG_5755.JPG

That is looking great Lawrence you got a lot accomplished, including working it out.
Cheers ~
Thanks Robin, Yes she is slowly taking shape, thanks for your very kind words. I have to rework the two forward seats of ease as they are just to big and seam to over power the rest of the ships Head area.
Regards Lawrence

Hello Ship Mates, Just a little update tonight, seams like the out side garden is eating up my time. However I have removed the forward Seats of Ease and reworked them, they seam to fit in much better now. We have paneled the False Rail cut our with a piece of cherry wood. We have also built the ships Boomkins and installed them adding there two bracing lines and adding a tackle block trough which the Fore Tack Reeves.
Regards LawrenceIMG_5756.JPGIMG_5757.JPGIMG_5758.JPG

Hello Ship Mates, Well we finally found a few hours to work in the Old Ship Yard as house hold chores and Garden work sure eats into our free time. We have built the Channels and installed them. Normally we pin them to reinforce them but due to the fact that we have a lot of wiring in these areas we decided to do the reinforcement with Knees, that will work but takes a good deal of time due to there small size.
Regards LawrenceIMG_5759.JPGIMG_5760.JPG

Looking very good my friend - very good and accurate work
Do not forget to blacken the chain -
BTW: I think these chains were used to secure the rudder for not loosing it, but not for steering by itself, but maybe.....

Looking very good my friend - very good and accurate work
Do not forget to blacken the chain -
BTW: I think these chains were used to secure the rudder for not loosing it, but not for steering by itself, but maybe.....
Hello Uwe, I thank you very much for your visit to my build log, also for your very nice comments. The emergency chains did secure the rudder against lost bur could also be used for steering, a rather difficult task I would think.
I get this idea from my Anthony of Nelson's Ship HMS Victory and I quote.
These run up through an eyebolt below the tuck and their ends make fast to a preventer rope which -runs under the quarter gallery, through a .hole in the mizen channel and is led forward. In the event of the rudder head or tiller being shot away it was possible to use the rudder if this emergency gear remained intact.
Just a bit of trivia information that I wish to share with you and my Ship Mates.
Regards Lawrence

Looking good, and all the chain work looks like the neckline of a lovely women...
Hello Kkonrath, Thanks very much for your visit to my build log, also for your very kind words. Yes the chain dose look likes it belonged to my Admiral but I did buy it from the Model Dock Yard in the UK.
Regards Lawrence

Last edited:
Back