Oliver Cromwell, POF ,Scale 1:48 by Lawrence [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hello Mike, , Yes Winston is a very nice and very helpful guy, you would not find this sort of help on that other form. Are you ordering the Phil Eisnor set of Bluenose plans? I have heard that they are very good and I would emagion that they will help a lot with your up and coming Bluenose build. Please let me know what you think of them once you receive them. I was thinking of ordering a set and doing another scratch build but decided against it as this would create tons of saw dust in our home. My Admiral solved this problem by giving me this Chinese Kit. I to love a ship under full sail but do believe that I will eliminate any stay sails to give a clearer view of the deck area but this could change.
Regards Lawrence
Hello Lawrence,
Apologies for not answering your query sooner.
I'm afraid I am easily distracted and diverted these days.

I ordered the Phil Eisnor plans through Winston at MSB.
The plans consist of seven sheets and are quite detailed.
If it is not too financially onerous for you I suggest getting a copy of the plans. They are v good.
I also printed off a copy of the practicum (MSB) written by Gene Bodnar based on these plans. If nothing else it makes good reading. There is a lot of information to be gleaned.
The MSB practicum is edited by W.E Scoville.........ie Winston.

There is also another practicum but of Bluenose 2 by John H Earl but I can't remember where I found it. Sorry. This is in Eight parts with quite a few colour photos.

I also bought the Amati plans of the original Bluenose of 1921 from 'Cornwall Model Boats' here in the uk which consist of three sheets and a detailed booklet (A4 size) which has a lot of small numbered drawings annotated in English and Italian. There is enough information in the Amati drawings ( priced at $US 10.91 plus p&p I think) to build a POB model.
I have just checked and it is marked as 'temporarily unavailable'. I wonder why?? The sails are also shown on one sheet..

You will be getting the 'KIT' soon and along with Heinrich's superb tutorial/practicum and the above you will construct a superb model for us to see.

Very best wishes,
Mike.

PS. I have just found some more references namely www dot van-vliet dot org/dempsey woodworking/bluenose which has a lot of recent information on building a bluenose

Last edited:
Hello Lawrence,
Apologies for not answering your query sooner.
I'm afraid I am easily distracted and diverted these days.

I ordered the Phil Eisnor plans through Winston at MSB.
The plans consist of seven sheets and are quite detailed.
If it is not too financially onerous for you I suggest getting a copy of the plans. They are v good.
I also printed off a copy of the practicum (MSB) written by Gene Bodnar based on these plans. If nothing else it makes good reading. There is a lot of information to be gleaned.
The MSB practicum is edited by W.E Scoville.........ie Winston.

There is also another practicum but of Bluenose 2 by John H Earl but I can't remember where I found it. Sorry. This is in Eight parts with quite a few colour photos.

I also bought the Amati plans of the original Bluenose of 1921 from 'Cornwall Model Boats' here in the uk which consist of three sheets and a detailed booklet (A4 size) which has a lot of small numbered drawings annotated in English and Italian. There is enough information in the Amati drawings ( priced at $US 10.91 plus p&p I think) to build a POB model.
I have just checked and it is marked as 'temporarily unavailable'. I wonder why?? The sails are also shown on one sheet..

You will be getting the 'KIT' soon and along with Heinrich's superb tutorial/practicum and the above you will construct a superb model for us to see.

Very best wishes,
Mike.
Hello Mike, I thank you very much for all of your information, I was curious about Phil Eisner's set of plans and wanted to know what you thought of them. I built the Bluenose II, many years ago. There are a lot of mistakes in this kit and also in my building her, she was my first wood build.
Yes I am looking forward to receiving my Bluenose kit from Heinrich, it sure looks to be a beauty and that is for sure.
Regards Lawrence

Hello Mike, I thank you very much for all of your information, I was curious about Phil Eisner's set of plans and wanted to know what you thought of them. I built the Bluenose II, many years ago. There are a lot of mistakes in this kit and also in my building her, she was my first wood build.
Yes I am looking forward to receiving my Bluenose kit from Heinrich, it sure looks to be a beauty and that is for sure.
Regards Lawrence
I have just edited my last post. More info and comments on the Eisner plans.
Mike

I have just edited my last post. More info and comments on the Eisner plans.
Mike
Hello Mike, I thank you for all of your up dated information that will be very handy and I am very sure also very helpful in my upcoming Bluenose build. I still have my set of AL plans for the Bluenose II, all though there are a lot of mistakes and lots of cheep short cuts in them they could be a reference point, especially for the sails.
Still have not received my Bluenose kit from Heinrich and I suppose it is stuck in customs as our very greedy Canadian government will have there hand out for every last penny they can squeaks out of us, but it is a lot worse in some places.
I have pasted this info on my desktop for now and will move it a little later to a folder, Thanks.
Regards Lawrence

Hello Ship Mates
Well the little fellows and I have finally completed all of the Lower Ratlines on our little ship. Now we must install our Catharpins on each of the three mast and build and install the Futtock Slaves and also build the Futtock Plates and attach all of the smaller Deadeyes that sit on top of the mast platforms.

Regards LawrenceIMG_5815.JPGIMG_5816.JPGIMG_5817.JPG

Hello Ship Mates
Well the little fellows and I have installed Futtock Slaves on all three Masts. We have also built and installed all of the Platforms Deadeyes along with there Futtock Plates. We have also built and installed the 12 rigging blocks on each of the Fore and Main Mast Platforms. This now leads to gluing these three platforms in place and building the Futtock Shrouds.
Regards LawrenceIMG_5823.JPGIMG_5824.JPGIMG_5825.JPGIMG_5826.JPG

Last edited:
Hello Ship Mates

I am about to start a P.O.F. build from a set of plans that I purchased through the Lumberyard from Harold M. Hahn. These are a very detailed set of plans that consist of 6 sheets of plans drawn up on 24” x 36” or 61 x 91.2 cm. I also purchased a Mast and Rigging sheet of plans for the HMS Druid, directly from Harold’s son Chris Hahn. Chris Hahn gave me permission to use some of his Dads pictures in the interdiction of my build log on my up and coming P.O.F. scratch build on the Oliver Cromwell.

This build is something that I have given a lot of thought to over the last couple of years. I can only hope that I have mustered enough skills to be able to justify my up and coming build the Oliver Cromwell. In looking at some of Harold’s M. Hanan work I often wonder if I will be able to justify such a build. Do or die this is something that I truly want to try at least once, I do realize that I can never come close to the very high skills that Harold M. Hahn has shown us in his builds, but I do want to give this type of build an honest try. I will rely on my Ship Mates very heavily for there words and comments in this build very much to steer me in the right direction if at all possible, please bear with me if I should make a blunder and I am sure that I will make more than my share within this build.

After a very lot of thought, I have decided to build my Oliver Cromwell out of Cherrywood Frames with a Red Oak Keel and along with a strip of Black Walnut for the False Keel. I have been very tied up for over two months now in catch up Home Chores, The end is in sight as I have started making tons of sawdust in sawing and planning up over 200’ of Cherry Wood for all of the frames for my Oliver Cromwell. This I have did, now I must split or rip these strips into 1” or 2.5mm strips in preparation for building all of those frames that are required of the Oliver Cromwell.

In the last couple of months, the Old Ship Yard has been rather very much deserted for lack of time and energy to put into this new build as yet. I have however built a little Binnacle and added a single LED Lamp to it, not much to show for over two months of work but then again it is a start in the right direction, even if a Binnacle is a long way in to the future of this build but one does have to start somewhere, why I started here I will never know but then again I did the same with my HMS Victory build of many years ago.

I will be posting this Oliver Cromwell build in the next coming couple of days, as soon as I figure out the width of the ships Keel that must be cut to except all of
those hull frames, just how I will cut these is still up in the air. ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence

View attachment 41775View attachment 41776View attachment 41778
Hallo Lawrence alias @Canoe21
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Enjoy the day my friend
Birthday-Cake

Hello Ship Mates
Well between all of the hustle and bustle over the Christmas Season, blowing the snow from the walks and driveway and all of that excitement and receiving my 001 Bluenose from Heinrich. The little fellows and I have built and installed the 3 lower mast braces along with there 3 mice's, heart blocks that we made out of left over deadeyes from our Golden Hinds build. I also had trouble with the U Block that goes over the Bowsprit as the first that I made was to large and had to make a smaller one along with it's lashings.
Regards Lawrence

PS- HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL.IMG_5830.JPGIMG_5831.JPGIMG_5832.JPGIMG_5833.JPG

Hello Ship Mates
A little more progress on our little ship, the little fellows and I have built and installed the Top Masts on all 3 masts, along with the Crosstree's and there Shrouds. Lased the Deadeyes. And now we are about to tackle the Rat Lines on the Top Masts. Can not seam to get our building speed back up to par, but little by little it is slowly coming back.
Regards Lawrence
IMG_5834.JPGIMG_5835.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5836.JPG
    IMG_5836.JPG
    181.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Back