Oliver Cromwell, POF ,Scale 1:48 by Lawrence [COMPLETED BUILD]

Excellent work as always, a fine looking ship. the rigging is coming along great, where did you source your blocks and rigging line quality stuff

Best
Ed
Hello Ed, I used to buy my supplies from the Model Dock Yard in Cornwall, England, but I hear that they are now closed.
Regards Lawrence

Hello Ship Mates
Work continues on the Spanker Boom and the Gaff. The little fellows and I have built and installed the ships Gaff Boob, built and installed the Vangs, the Peak Halliard along with the Throat Halliard, and the Guy Pendants. This completes the work on the Spanker for now until my Admiral sews up it's sail. Now we are into the Yard Work.

Regards LawrenceIMG_5875.JPGIMG_5876.JPGIMG_5877.JPGIMG_5878.JPG

Hello Ship Mates
The little fellows and I have been fairly busy climbing the Mizzen Mast and installing Cross Jack Yard and along with all of it's fittings. We have built and installed the Cross Jack Yard with it's attached working blocks. We have built and installed it's Truss Pendants. Added the Jeers and lower lifting blocks and rigging. We have also added the Stirrups along with it's Foot Ropes.
Regards LawrenceIMG_5880.JPGIMG_5881.JPGIMG_5882.JPGIMG_5883.JPGIMG_5884.JPGIMG_5879.JPGIMG_5885.JPG

Hello Ship Mates
A little more to show on our little ship the Oliver Cromwell, the little fellows and I have built and installed her Main Yard, along with it's Truss Pendants, Jeer Blocks upper and lower. We have added the Main Lift Blocks to be completed later. We have also built and installed the Stun sail Booms and support Irons along with the Foot Ropes.
In the process of installing all of this we knocked off two gun ports Doors, My Admiral Bernadette says at this rate with all of these re-duos and set backs the Oliver Cromwell will not be completed until I am 100 years old, scary is it not.
Regards LawrenceIMG_5890.JPGIMG_5891.JPGIMG_5892.JPGIMG_5893.JPG
IMG_5886 (2).JPGIMG_5887 (2).JPG

Last edited:
Love the work your doing Lawrence. You and your spider monkeys are doing a great rigging job your model Sir.

mario
Hello Mario, I thank you very much for your visit to my build log on the little ship the Oliver Cromwell, also for your very kind words and comments. Yes my little guys are having fun with the rigging, they are getting a little old like me and slowing down a little but the task dose get done.
Regards Lawrence

The rigging looks superb Lawrence. And who cares if things are going slower or if it takes long? I have a friend on the Dutch forum who says that the enjoyment of model building lies in the build process itself - and I'm sure we all agree with that!

The rigging looks superb Lawrence. And who cares if things are going slower or if it takes long? I have a friend on the Dutch forum who says that the enjoyment of model building lies in the build process itself - and I'm sure we all agree with that!
Hello Heinrich, I thank you for your very kind words. Yes I am enjoying my Oliver Cromwell build very much and the rigging on these ships is so interesting, just to figure our how things worked. My only hang up is that I am itching to start on my YQ - Bluenose, but she will have to wait just a bit longer.
Have you heard any news from YQ on that steering wheel issue, not at all a big issue, just curious that's all.
Regards Lawrence

Hello Ship Mates
The little fellows and I have been fairly busy climbing the Mizzen Mast and installing Cross Jack Yard and along with all of it's fittings. We have built and installed the Cross Jack Yard with it's attached working blocks. We have built and installed it's Truss Pendants. Added the Jeers and lower lifting blocks and rigging. We have also added the Stirrups along with it's Foot Ropes.
Regards LawrenceView attachment 212101View attachment 212102View attachment 212103View attachment 212104View attachment 212105View attachment 212100View attachment 212106
Just Brilliant. Could be used on a film set, so realistic.

Hello Ship Mates
Regards LawrenceView attachment 212101View attachment 212102View attachment 212103View attachment 212104View attachment 212105View attachment 212100View attachment 212106
Hi
Looking through your post, I noticed that the first vertical rope of your rat lines are thicker than the rest.
Is this something common in period ships or is just in this particular model.
Sorry for my rigging ignorance.

Hi
Looking through your post, I noticed that the first vertical rope of your rat lines are thicker than the rest.
Is this something common in period ships or is just in this particular model.
Sorry for my rigging ignorance.

Sorry to intervene... I assume you are talking about the shrouds (these are the more or less vertical lines, supporting the masts, and the ratlines are connected to them). Yes, the first ones are thicker because they are seized, meaning there is a smaller diameter line twisted around the shroud). On the first shroud this seizing goes to full length, on the other ones only on the top, up to about the top ratline. The aim of this was to protect the shrouds from rubbing to other ropes and sails.
Yes, and Lawrence did a bloody good job on everything, including the rigging and also the seizing!
János

Sorry to intervene... I assume you are talking about the shrouds (these are the more or less vertical lines, supporting the masts, and the ratlines are connected to them). Yes, the first ones are thicker because they are seized, meaning there is a smaller diameter line twisted around the shroud). On the first shroud this seizing goes to full length, on the other ones only on the top, up to about the top ratline. The aim of this was to protect the shrouds from rubbing to other ropes and sails.
Yes, and Lawrence did a bloody good job on everything, including the rigging and also the seizing!
János

I told you I didn’t know much about the terminology but I sure love to build models.
So, that been said, my next question will be related to the model I’m building.
Maybe you have seen my log about the 1/48 Marisstella 16th Century Ragusian Cog.
Should I also seize my shrouds as well?

Actually it's called serving, the rope that is wrapped around another line to protect it from getting chaffed by a sail or another line, seizing is when a line is tied off to itself or another line, like the ropes that go around a dead eye or a block, after the ropes go around the
dead eyes or blocks, then the rope is laid along side itself and seized together with smaller rope

Last edited:
Back