Oliver Cromwell, POF ,Scale 1:48 by Lawrence [COMPLETED BUILD]

Are you sure, that it is the bread room - looks for me too small for a british / american designed ship
I guess around the mizzen mast would be the powder room and the bread room would be behind in an additional higher place behind the mizzen mast.
I marked my guess in the section plan
red arrow - bread room
blue arrow - powder room

View attachment 57216r

excerpt from this drawing
View attachment 57217
Hello Uwek
I thank you very much for your reply. Yes, I believe you are correct, this is what I figured out after I downloaded this picture. I do realize that I am far ahead of my self in thinking of the internal cabins of my ship, but I do like to figure things out ahead of time. Still fighting this very bad cold or the flu and still do not have the get-up and go to work in the Old Ship Yard as yet so I have been researching just a bit to fill in my time to I feel a bit better, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence

Are you sure, that it is the bread room - looks for me too small for a british / american designed ship
I guess around the mizzen mast would be the powder room and the bread room would be behind in an additional higher place behind the mizzen mast.
I marked my guess in the section plan
red arrow - bread room
blue arrow - powder room

View attachment 57216r

excerpt from this drawing
View attachment 57217
Hello Uwek
Is it at all possible that you could send me a higher definition of the thumbprint picture that I have attached, Thanks very much, ENJOY. Regards Lawrence

BEAVER.jpg

Hello Ship Mates

Well with our fall vacation and along with almost 3 weeks of a bad cold or the flue I have finally got up enough get up and go to begin working a bit in the Old Ship Yard. Granted it is not all that much but I have drilled and applied the walnut tree nails that I made over 6 weeks ago to one set of frames. I have given one side a touch of Tung and Teak Oil just to see how the treenails are highlighted and am rather pleased with the results, now just 39 more sets to go, ENJOY. Regards Lawrence

IMG_5185.JPG

Hello Ship Mates

I thank you all for your many visits to my build log, also for your very kind words and nice comments. Back in the Old Ship Yard, we did try that needle method of making treenail. We were using walnut to get the dark wood contrast. being a hardwood we found that the treenail would sometimes break of plugging the needle. The ones that we did get were very good and I am sure that it would work well if I were using a softwood. Also the size of needle that I got made a treenail @.026" and I was striving for .033", but will keep it in mind for the future.

The little fellows and I have added treenails to about 2/3 of our full frames, we have yet to snip off the ends and clean them up as yet. Last Friday afternoon we got involved in a fender bender at our local food store parking lot. No one was hurt thank goodness. We were leaving the parking lot when I saw this car coming up between the rows of parked cars, so I stopped about a car length back from this row. However, this woman turned the corner and plowed into us. Causing a lot of extra running around for insurance estimates. We suffered around $ 4000 and she got around & 10,000 at last check. Now our car is in the body shop for repairs and we do have a rental for the duration, a much larger car than ours but very nice, ENJOY. Regards Lawrence

IMG_5186.JPG

Hello Ship Mates

I am about to start a P.O.F. build from a set of plans that I purchased through the Lumberyard from Harold M. Hahn. These are a very detailed set of plans that consist of 6 sheets of plans drawn up on 24” x 36” or 61 x 91.2 cm. I also purchased a Mast and Rigging sheet of plans for the HMS Druid, directly from Harold’s son Chris Hahn. Chris Hahn gave me permission to use some of his Dads pictures in the interdiction of my build log on my up and coming P.O.F. scratch build on the Oliver Cromwell.

This build is something that I have given a lot of thought to over the last couple of years ever fowling Wayne Tripp build his kit build of the Emma C. Berry. His build has intrigued me to search out this POF kind of a build versus the FOB like I have fowled for a number of years now. I can only hope that I have mustered enough skills to be able to justify my up and coming build the Oliver Cromwell. In looking at some of Harold’s M. Hanan work I often wonder if I will be able to justify such a build. Do or die this is something that I truly want to try at least once, I do realize that I can never come close to the very high skills that Harold M. Hahn has shown us in his builds, but I do want to give this type of build an honest try. I will rely on my Ship Mates very heavily for there words and comments in this build very much to steer me in the right direction if at all possible, please bear with me if I should make a blunder and I am sure that I will make more than my share within this build.

I wish to thank Mike Y and Mark Taylor for all of there help in getting me started on this very new and very challenging build that I am about to undertake, I do thank you both for all of your patency and so very kind support that you both have given me.

After a very lot of thought, I have decided to build my Oliver Cromwell out of Cherrywood Frames with a Red Oak Keel and along with a strip of Black Walnut for the False Keel. I have been very tied up for over two months now in catch up Home Chores, The end is in sight as I have started making tons of sawdust in sawing and planning up over 200’ of Cherry Wood for all of the frames for my Oliver Cromwell. This I have did, now I must split or rip these strips into 1” or 2.5mm strips in preparation for building all of those frames that are required of the Oliver Cromwell.

In the last couple of months, the Old Ship Yard has been rather very much deserted for lack of time and energy to put into this new build as yet. I have however built a little Binnacle and added a single LED Lamp to it, not much to show for over two months of work but then again it is a start in the right direction, even if a Binnacle is a long way in to the future of this build but one does have to start somewhere, why I started here I will never know but then again I did the same with my HMS Victory build of many years ago.

I will be posting this Oliver Cromwell build in the next coming couple of days, as soon as I figure out the width of the ships Keel that must be cut to except all of
those hull frames, just how I will cut these is still up in the air. ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence

View attachment 41775View attachment 41776View attachment 41778
I’ve joined the audience and look forward to your posts.
HI Lawrence.

Looking forward to watching your build, I like Lumberyard kits and I have Druid waiting. Please would
be kind enough to pass on to me the address for the rigging details as I also would like to rig my Druid.
Dearest regards JANET u/k

HI Lawrence.

Looking forward to watching your build, I like Lumberyard kits and I have Druid waiting. Please would
be kind enough to pass on to me the address for the rigging details as I also would like to rig my Druid.
Dearest regards JANET u/k
Hello Janet
Welcome aboard the Great SOS Form and also to my build log on the little ship the Oliver Cromwell. I am always pleased to have a new crew member on board. Please pull up a chair and join on the fun of building this very fine little ship. Your words and comments are always welcome here.
If you bought a kit from the Lumber Yard than you do have the Mast & Sparing Dimensions for the HMS Druid, you should have received 7 sheets of drawings that are 24" x 36". There are no sail plans in this kit. I have used Lennard Peterson's book Rigging Period Ship Models to draw up my set of sails using the dimensions from the HMS Druid, These I must check on the model to see if I have gotten the correct sizes and that will be around a year from now. They probably are OK but then again this I am not sure of.
If by chance you did not receive the Mast 7 Sparing drawings then I will look up the address for Chris Hahn for you OK, ENJOY. Regards Lawrence

Lot of crazy drivers out there,but good that nobody got hurt.I can see you had some work to do ,nice set of frames.
Lot of crazy drivers out there,but good that nobody got hurt.I can see you had some work to do ,nice set of frames.
Hello Zoltan
I do thank you very much for your very kind words and comments. Yes, I still can not believe just how this accident happened. Seams like this women had a little baby in the back seat of her car and the child was screaming, it appears that she was looking in the back seat while turning the corner and plowed into our car, a very costly boo-boo, ENJOY.
Regards Lawrence

wow some nice looking frames Nice work
Hello Epicdoom
I thank you for your visit to my build log, also for your nice words and comments. Yes, I have but 3 sets of full frames to add my treenails to, would have finished this job yesterday but ran out of walnut treenails. I made another 400 or so so I am set to go today. Then I must snip off the ends of all of these treenails and clean up the darkened glue that I used to install them. And then after 6 long months, I will be able to start adding all of these framing ribs to my Keel and building Board, it seemed that this day would never come, ENJOY.
Regards Lawrence

Hello Epicdoom
I thank you for your visit to my build log, also for your nice words and comments. Yes, I have but 3 sets of full frames to add my treenails to, would have finished this job yesterday but ran out of walnut treenails. I made another 400 or so so I am set to go today. Then I must snip off the ends of all of these treenails and clean up the darkened glue that I used to install them. And then after 6 long months, I will be able to start adding all of these framing ribs to my Keel and building Board, it seemed that this day would never come, ENJOY.
Regards Lawrence
Well you got through a tuff task Brother for me building frames is fun, but daunting The repetition is a drag. but now some assembly makes it all worth while I cant wait to see your Progress Brother.

Well you got through a tuff task Brother for me building frames is fun, but daunting The repetition is a drag. but now some assembly makes it all worth while I cant wait to see your Progress Brother.
Hello Epicdoom
I thank you for your very kind words. Yes, the framing ribs have involved a great deal of work, sawing out my wood, planning it to the correct thickness, building the framing blanks, gluing them together in pairs, gluing the patterns to these blanks, sawing out the framing ribs, pre-flaring them and now adding around 22 walnut treenails to simulate the iron bolts. All and all I have enjoyed this carry on very much, it reminds me of rigging all of those cannons on my HMS Victory, I thought that they would never end. I am not really complaining at all just letting you know the procedure that I have gone through in this Oliver Cromwell POF build. But now with the end in sight for the framing ribs, it will be an outright pleasure to start to assemble my ship after 6 long months, ENJOY.
Regards Lawrence

Hello Ship Mates

Again I do thank you all very much for all of your visits to my build log on the little ship the Oliver Cromwell. Also for your very kind words and nice comments.

Back in the Old Ship Yard things have been a bit hectic the last couple of weeks around home. Running around getting estimates for our car, picking up a very nice rental, and then on top of that all we had to have a new heat exchanger installed in our gas furnace, that was over $3500.00 dollars but luckily that was covered by our warranty. Between all of this going on I finally got all of my one piece framing ribs cleaned up from the tree nailing and along with the dark glue. Now I must make a couple of sets of support brackets to hold the keel alignment while installing the framing ribs to the keel to make sure that it remains at a 90degree angle to the base, that should take away one worry, ENJOY. Regards Lawrence

IMG_5187.JPG

Hello Ship Mates

I again thank you all for all of your visits to my build log on the little ship the Oliver Cromwell, also for your very kind words and nice comments. IMG_5188.JPGIMG_5189.JPGIMG_5190.JPGIMG_5191.JPGIMG_5192.JPGBack in the Old Ship Yard the little fellows and I have reached a milestone, we have built and installed the 4 brackets to align the keek as to be able to install the framing ribs. We have installed two of these framing ribs, # 1 & # 27 to our building board and also to the keel. It sure is nice to be able to start installing parts rather than making them, ENJOY. Regards Lawrence

Now the fun starts when you see the hull step by step growing - when you can see the form and the lines - Happy time

Now the fun starts when you see the hull step by step growing - when you can see the form and the lines - Happy time
Hello Uwek
Thanks very much for your visit to my build log on the fine ship the Oliver Cromwell, also for your very kind words and nice comments. Yes, it sure is nice to see it all come together after all of this time. As of now, I have but 6 full framing ribs yet to install. As I have to wait around an hour for the glue to set up before continuing. Looks like tomorrow I will be able to start those funny Cant frames, never had to cope with those before so it will be another learning experience.
I have been pondering cutouts for one side of my ship, much like Harold Hanen did with his Kingfisher. I will, of course, completely finish the other side. I want to build the cabins and so on below deck and it would be a great loss not to be able to see this, or at least I think so. Have you come across this idea before in your travels? I will attach a picture of Harold's Kingfisher to show you what I mean, ENJOY.
Regards Lawrenceimg263  KINGFISHER 3.jpg

I have always wanted to do one like that fully completed one side open the other.
Hello JosephH
I thank you very much for your visit to my build log, also for your very kind words and nice comments. When I built my HMS Victory I added a lot of detail to the stern gallery, then I planked over it all leaving only a hint of what is inside through those tiny windows. With my Oliver Cromwell build I want to correct this situation, giving me a completed side and a cutout very detailed side, giving me a choice of just what I want to look at at the time, ENJOY. Regards Lawrence

Hello Ship Mates

I thank you all very much for all of your visits to my build log, also for your very kind words and nice comments. Back in the Old Ship Yard the little fellows and I have been busy installing all of the full framing ribs to our building board and also to the keel. It sure is nice to see all of that preliminary work paid off. Now I must tackle those tricky cant frames. The rib frames seam rather solid but I do believe that I will install maple wood treenails just to make sure, ENJOY. Regards Lawrence
IMG_5193.JPGIMG_5194.JPGIMG_5195.JPG

Back