Oliver Cromwell, POF ,Scale 1:48 by Lawrence [COMPLETED BUILD]

G'day Lawrence, the little fellow and if course your 'backbone'- Bernadette
I finally found your new log. I enjoyed reading it immensely.
I'm might be a bit late, but I'm here for the fun stuff now.
Happymodeling yo you all
Greg
Hello Greg
I do thank you very much for your visit to my build log on the Oliver Cromwell, also for your very kind words and overly nice comments. The shipbuilding has been slow up to now, just returned home from a week of R & R at a lodge in Northern Ontario, The Bryer Lodge on the French River. Had a great time but no fish but we did catch a sunburn but really not all that bad. So if all goes well I should be able to do a bit of work in the Old Ship Yard, ENJOY.
Regards Lawrence

Hello Ship Mates

I do thank you all very much for all of your visits to my build log on the Oliver Cromwell, also for your very kind words and overly nice comments.

My Admiral and I with our little dog arrived home here in Sutton last Saturday afternoon a very pleasant 3-½ hour trip. We had a great time lots of R & R, rented a 20’ pontoon boat that was great. We did not catch any fish but got fairly bad sunburn as I forgot my hat at our cottage, Should have put up the awning but the sun at the time felt so nice!!!!!

Back in the Old Ship Yard the little fellows and I have resumed work on the Oliver Cromwell. We have glued our framing pattern to our building board to simplify the placement of placing the ship's ribs. We have started gluing the framing blanks together between heavy glass and 2, 10 lbs barbells belonging to our son. We have also used ELMERS Spray Adhesive to attach our rib patterns to the framing blanks. Now we must head to our basement workshop to saw these first 4 of many out on our scroll saw. It seems like a long time to get to the accrual starting of our build after so long at making a ton of sawdust, ENJOY

Regards LawrenceIMG_5080.JPGIMG_5085.JPGIMG_5096 (1).JPGIMG_5097 (1).JPGIMG_5098 (1).JPG

Last edited:
Hello Ship Mates

Once again I thank you all very much for your visit to my build log on the Oliver Cromwell. Also for your many visits along with your very kind words and nice comments.

Back in the Old Ship Yard the little fellows and I have taken it rather easy the last couple of days as our weather has turned very hot 99.7F or 38+C makes it just to warm to even set outsideIMG_5100.JPGIMG_5101.JPGIMG_5102.JPG. It is rather nice in the Old Ship Yard at 75F or 25C. We have been catching up on our Forms reading and research. However we continue to glue the rib frames together and cut the framing ribs out on our scroll saw, as of now we do have 7 sawed out and another 2 ready for the saw and 2 more in the glue drying press. So our pile of framing blanks is slowly shrinking, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence

Hello Ship Mates

I do thank you all very much for all of your visits to my build log on the Oliver Cromwell, also for your very kind words and nice comments. Back in the Old Ship Yard the little fellows and I have been busy cutting out the Keel, Bow Timbers and also the Stern Timbers. Last night in looking over my plans I discovered that in looking at my plans I had taken the False Keel for the Rabbit and run it through the saw before I realized my huge mistake. Not a great big deal but then again it will set us back a couple of hours to cut a new Keel. Still can not believe that I made such a silly mistake, ENJOY. Regards LawrenceIMG_5103.JPG

Hello Ship Mates

I again thank you all very much for all of your visits to my build log on the Oliver Cromwell. Also for your very kind words and also for all of your very nice comments.

Back in the Old Ship Yard things have been on the slow side, just can not seemIMG_5104.JPG to get back in the grove of working in the Old Ship Yard since our vacation on the French River. I put it to the very high heat around 100 F or 40 C most days for around 6 weeks now. It does kind of drag one out after a while.

I have been searching the web and my build books on the Oliver Cromwell to see just how I will approach this build. Lots, to do that is for sure, must re-cut the keel and Bow timbers just to spruce her up a bit.

I did order a little Proxxon Mill and it came today minus the vice that is suppose to arrive on Wednesday. This sure is a very sturdy little machine, I am quite impressed with it so far. This is also a very fine gift from my Admiral Bernadette who gave me a bunch of dollars a year and a half ago for a new camera as I was having trouble with my good old one. I did find a way to work around the problem and decided not to buy a new camera. So when I started having trouble making Scarf Joints by hand I figured that this little mill would do the job and also be very handy in the Old Ship Yard.

A couple of weeks ago I ordered a 12” Architectural ruler with the ¼” or 1:48 scale. Upon arriving back home and opening the new ruler package My Admiral says Oh!!! I have one of those!!!!!, that she promptly gave me.

ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence

Hello Ship Mates

I again thank you all for all of your many visits to my build log on the Oliver Cromwell, Also for your very kind words and nice comments.

Back in the Old Ship Yard the little fellows and I have reached a milestone in our POF Build. We have completed and sawn out and sanded the full set of the 20Rib Frames plus one more that we built by mistake bu not checking out their rib #, oh-well that is just one less that we will have to build for the next set. Now we must cut out the notches that fit into the Keel. I was kind of hoping that I could use the new mill for this. But with no vice or no end mills as yet it looks like another handjob, but really these notches are not all that deep, ENJOY IMG_5105.JPG Regards Lawrence

G'day Lawrence
Great work so far!
I always thought that 'slow and steady wins the race', but at this speed it's going to be 'faster and better'.
Looking forward for more updates.
Happymodeling
Greg

Hello Lawrence,you are making some good progress,looking forward for more updates.

Hello Zoltan
Thanks for your visit, Yes, this POF type of a build sure does take a lot of work before one is even started to put things together. With the Mill, I hope to be able to improve on that very plain Keel, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence

G'day Lawrence
Great work so far!
I always thought that 'slow and steady wins the race', but at this speed it's going to be 'faster and better'.
Looking forward for more updates.
Happymodeling
Greg

Hello Greg

I thank you for your visit to my build log. Yes, up to now it seems that I have made a ton of sawdust and very few parts to show for it all. With the mill I do hope that it will speed things up just a bit so that I will be able to startputting some ribs into my build jig, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence

Your ribs are looking realy good....I am very interested to see how you are cutting the notches?

Hello UWE
Thanks for your visit to my build log. Yes, after such a long time things are slowly starting to come together. I did want to use the little mill to cut those notches in the Frames but with no vice for it as yet, I resorted to my big old drill vice. putting the ribs in the jaws down to the line level with the top jaws and then took my razor saw and cot both sides down to the bice and using a square little rasp I filed out the center wood and then using a fine file I completed the cut, ENJOY

Regards LawrenceIMG_5106.JPG

Hello Ship Mates

I do thank you all very much for all of your visits to my build log, also for your very kind words and nice comments.

Back in the Old Ship Yard things are moving but at a snail pace. Yesterday after almost 2 months in the Oliver Cromwell build I could not take the suspense any longer and the little fellows and dry fitted the 21 framing ribs to our build board jig just to have a boo of just what she will look like. I do believe that we have settled our curiosity for now and must wait on our vice and mill cutters to redo the keel, ENJOY IMG_5107.JPGRegards Lawrence

Hello Ship Mates

Once again I thank you all very much for your visits to my build log, also for your very kind words and nice comments. Back in the Old Ship Yard the little guys and I have been busy marking out and cutting along with disk sanding the sequence meets that go into the second set of rib blanks, this batch of ribs has only 7 sets. After letting the glue set for a few minutes I remove the holding clamps and move them to my heavy glass holding press with the 20 lbs. of weight and wait for the glue to dry and set up, ENJOY. Regards Lawrence

IMG_5108.JPGIMG_5109.JPGIMG_5110.JPG

Hello Ship Mates

Once again I thank you all very much for all of your visits to my build log on the Oliver Cromwell

Back in the Old Ship Yard, the postman has been rather good to us this week. We received our new Drawplate and also s new zero clearance plate for our Byrnes table saw from Byrnes Modle Machines, these will come in very handy in our Oliver Cromwell build. We also received out new Proxxon Vice the one that we should have ordered from the start but the cheaper one looked so good on there web page. We also received our 3 Proxxon Milling Cutters and to top this all off we also received our order of Burnt Umber artist pigments to darken up our glue to highlight our wood joints. The little fellows and I continue to work on our second set of framing blanks, as of now we have them all glued up and will continue to pair them up and glue them together so that tomorrow we can start to cut them out on our scroll saw, ENJOY. Regards Lawrence
IMG_5112.JPGIMG_5113.JPGIMG_5111.JPG

........... and to top this all off we also received our order of Burnt Umber artist pigments to darken up our glue to highlight our wood joints. ......

You got a lot of new toys to improve your workshop - lucky guy

These pigments sounds intereseting.....can you show this once when you use it?
For which kind of glue you can use them?

You got a lot of new toys to improve your workshop - lucky guy

These pigments sounds intereseting.....can you show this once when you use it?
For which kind of glue you can use them?

Hello Uwe
I thank you for your visit to my build log and also for your very kind words and comments. Yes, it looks like Christmas came early this year, plan to give the little mill a try in the next couple of days, that should be very interesting. I have used a full-size shop mill many times but that was many years ago so hope that things come back to me. The Burnt Umber Pigment are to try and darken up the Titebond II Dark Wood Glue that already is darkened to some extent but much to light for my liking. This is all new to me but I plan to add a little pigment to the glue to get to a darker shade, sounds like it will work, so we will give it a try, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence

Hello Ship Mates

I thank you all for all of your visits to my build log on the Olivier Cromwell, also for your very kind words and nice comments.

Back in the Old Ship Yard the little fellows and I gave our little Proxxon Mill a go this AM. We grabbed a couple of pieces of scrap wood and tried to mill out a Hooked Scarf Joint. I have not touched a mill now in around 20 years. This is my first attempt and I must say that I am a bit pleased with the results. I still have to do a bit of work on my little jig, but I do believe that we are in the ballpark, ENJOY. Regards Lawrence

IMG_5114.JPGIMG_5115.JPG

Hello Ship Mates

I thank you all for all of your visits to my build log on the Olivier Cromwell, also for your very kind words and nice comments.

Back in the Old Ship Yard the little fellows and I gave our little Proxxon Mill a go this AM. We grabbed a couple of pieces of scrap wood and tried to mill out a Hooked Scarf Joint. I have not touched a mill now in around 20 years. This is my first attempt and I must say that I am a bit pleased with the results. I still have to do a bit of work on my little jig, but I do believe that we are in the ballpark, ENJOY. Regards Lawrence

View attachment 47788View attachment 47789
Very good result, especially for a first try.....would it be possible to show how you managed these sharp edges and the correct fitting - would be very interesting

Very good result, especially for a first try.....would it be possible to show how you managed these sharp edges and the correct fitting - would be very interesting
Hello Uwe

I thank you very much for your very nice words and also for licking my first try of cutting a Hooked Scarf Joint. Please bear in mind that this Joint is not yet perfected and does need a bit of adjustment, this is what I have so far.

I cut a piece of wood that is around 65mm long by 10.70 mm by 11.75 mm or .420" x .465" x 2.60" long. I then cut a taper of 10 degrees angle on 1/2 of this piece of wood that sits in the bed of my milling vice. I then lay my rough cut timber on top and cut both sides of my joint parallel to the top of my vice. I then cut the overhang end back to 3 mm or.118" leaving me with a joint that is 30 cm or 1.182 long. I then divide this joint face by 1/2 long and marking both ends second-half start to the end of the joint to the end of the joint. Leaving my cutter at 3MM or .118" that I used to cut the front I move the cutter to the second notch and cut it out to my marks. That's it very simple but it needs to be adjusted for the thickness of the joint, I will be cutting 10 MM or .393" with these figures, Have Fun, ENJOY

Regards LawrenceIMG_5116.JPGIMG_5117.JPGIMG_5118.JPG

Back