Oliver Cromwell, POF ,Scale 1:48 by Lawrence [COMPLETED BUILD]

The frames are fitting well in the jig.....great performance......
Hello Uwek
Thanks very much for your visit to my build log. Yes, she seems to be going together rather well, I was starting to think that this day would never come. Now those cant frames, but after looking at them for so long they do not appear to be all that difficult, ENJOY.
Regards Lawrence

Hello Mike
I thank you for your visit to my build log, also for your kind words and nice comments. I am always pleased to have a new crew member on board, please pull up a chair and join in on the fun of building this little ship. Yes building all of these frames seemed like an never-ending task. I have started the forward bow cant frames and so far they seem ok. Sure is nice to see it all coming together after such a long time, ENJOY. Regards Lawrence

here is some research data I dug up from the Hahn archives

it was stated in a report of the Oliver Cromwell that the officers cabin was to be properly fitted. So I think when the ship was originally built the cabin was not finished out. After the ship was captured the officers cabin was finished by the British. So to figure out what is "properly finished" one would have to look at British cabins.

aletter.jpga817.jpga818.jpga819.jpga983.jpga984.jpga985.jpg

Last edited:
G'day Lawrence
Sorry for not looking in for a while. Been quite crook again and was too exhausted to even scratch my a#se, as the Ozzie expression goes.
You and the little fellow is doing a splendid job.
Keep it up mate.

it was stated in a report of the Oliver Cromwell that the officers cabin was to be properly fitted. So I think when the ship was originally built the cabin was not finished out. After the ship was captured the officers cabin was finished by the British. So to figure out what is "properly finished" one would have to look at British cabins.
View attachment 60569

View attachment 60569View attachment 60570View attachment 60571View attachment 60572View attachment 60573View attachment 60574View attachment 60575
That's a great amount of research you have done Dave.
This is a perfect example of why this family forum is so great. A fellow member going out of his/her way to help another.
Brilliant mate!
Happymodeling to all
Greg

Didit said --

Hello Dave
I do thank you very much for your first-hand information, you have answered a lot of question that I have been pondering over for some time now, on the Great Room and cabins. The masking and sail information sure does look good and I will compare it to that that I have taken off of the HMS Druid drawings that Chris Hahn was so kind to send to me. You are overly kind to me for all of your help that you have so generously given to me. I surely must be taking you away from your own build and your own doing, for this I am very sorry but I do appreciate your kindness very much, ENJOY.
Regards Lawrence

G'day Lawrence
Sorry for not looking in for a while. Been quite crook again and was too exhausted to even scratch my a#se, as the Ozzie expression goes.
You and the little fellow is doing a splendid job.
Keep it up mate.

That's a great amount of research you have done Dave.
This is a perfect example of why this family forum is so great. A fellow member going out of his/her way to help another.
Brilliant mate!
Happymodeling to all
Greg
Hello Greg, I do thank you very much for your visit to my build log, also for your very kind words and overly nice comments. I am saddened to hear of your poor health problems and was thinking of dropping you a line just to check in but you again beat me to it. Well it sure has been hectic around the homestead and the Old Ship Yard ever since our vacation up to the French River, both my Admiral and I have had a bad case of the flue, the worst we have had in many, many years, then the car accident and all of the running around that takes, leaving very little free time for the Old Ship Yard. I do hope that you will recover soon and return to your Old Ship Yard with lots of get up and go to spare, looking forward to your next update, sorry that I can not reply but you understand just how it is, ENJOY. Regards Lawrence

You are overly kind to me for all of your help that you have so generously given to me. I surely must be taking you away from your own build and your own doing, for this I am very sorry but I do appreciate your kindness very much,

no worry here if it floats I like it your not taking me away from anything I like to jump from one thing to another

so anyhow the survey does say officers cabins not captains cabin or great cabin but officers that was the clue there are more than one cabin at the stern, here is a typical layout for the stern cabin on British ships.

I will look for a higher resolution image

cabin layout.jpg

Hello Didit - Dave
I do thank you again for all of your help, For this, I am very grateful. In my set of T.F.F.M there a few pictures of the layout of the English Swan Class, I was able to locate a very distorted drawing of the Beavers Prize in the NMM drawings catalog # 3280, that is a big help as it shows the ship prior to capture and the English periodicals for the ship. Still looking for a bit more American info on this little ship, ENJOY.
Regards Lawrence

Still looking for a bit more American info on this little ship,
Regards Lawrence

I have a fat folder of information I will go through it and give you an idea what ids there

Hello Ship Mates

Once again I do thank you all for all of your visits to my build log, also for your very kind words and nice comments. Things have settled down a bit around the old homestead leaving me somewhat more time to work in the Old Ship Yard. Back in the Old Ship Yard the little fellows and I have added the rest of the forward cant frames and made up a couple of Hawse Planks per side of the Cutwater. These for some reason Harold Hahn did not add to his framing patterns, I kind of believe that he wanted the builder to add just a bit of there personal touch. I do realize that these Hawse Planks are not at all perfect but we do believe that will fit in and not take away from the beauty of this very fine looking little ship. It is a sunny day up here in Sutton, Ontario and I do believe that I will clean our big living room window before we move on to the aft cant frames, ENJOY. Regards Lawrence

IMG_5196.JPGIMG_5197.JPGIMG_5198.JPG

Still looking for a bit more American info on this little ship,
Regards Lawrence

I have a fat folder of information I will go through it and give you an idea what ids there
Hello Didit --Dave
Once again I thank you very much for all of your very helpful information. I do realize that some of this is a long way off but I do like time to be able to think about these things ahead of time as I do not like surprises or rebuilds, I have had more than my share of these and now try to avoid them if at all possible. Dave, you seem to be walking encyclopedia, and I sure am pleased to have you on board in my Old Ship Yard, ENJOY, Regards Lawrence

there is a lot of research material in the Hahn archives on the O.C. and you never know what tiny clue can lead to a major piece of historic information. Like the carpenters survey that was done when the O.C. was taken by the British. I never knew there was a survey until I found it.
so I will go through what I have and see what turns up.

there is a lot of research material in the Hahn archives on the O.C. and you never know what tiny clue can lead to a major piece of historic information. Like the carpenters survey that was done when the O.C. was taken by the British. I never knew there was a survey until I found it.
so I will go through what I have and see what turns up.
Hello Didit - Dave
I again thank you very much for your visit to my build log, also for your very kind words and overly mice comments. Those Hause beams were a bit of a pain but I believe that they will fit in ok, if not then it may be a redo. But for now, I plan to move along to those stern cant frames that by now are looking a lot more easier, ENJOY. Regards Lawrence

Hallo Lawrence,
I did not want to hijack your topic, so I started another topic - I was a little bit confused about some information of the Oliver Cromwell, so I started a small research in the web about the ship - and realized, that there were in the same time several Oliver Cromwells sailing in US waters.
Please take a look at the topic
https://www.shipsofscale.com/sosfor...omwell-which-one-attempt-of-an-overview.2625/

A stupid question:
Which one is yours?

Hello Uwek
Thank you very much for your very interesting and confusion web and book search of the ship or should I say ships. My first thought is it must have been A American propaganda issue in trying to make the British crazy, with 4 or 5 ships of the same name being in different places at the same time, I do believe that this would cause a stir.
My Oliver Cromwell, a Philadelphia Privateer 1777 is # 3 on your list and after her capture, she was renamed Beavers Prize. I for one will hash all of this information around to see if I can come up with a clearer understanding of just why this was done.
I am sure that some of my Ship Mates already know the answers to these strange occurrences.
I would be very interested to see just what Didit Dave has to say about this strange matter, chances are that he already is aware of the whole situation, so I for one will sit on the edge of my chair to see what the outcome will be, ENJOY.
Regards Lawrence

Hello Ship Mates

Once again I thank you all very much for all of your visits to my build log, also for your very kind words and nice comments. Back in the Old Ship Yard, the little fellows and have reached a major milestone in our Oliver Cromwell. We have installed all of the aft cants frames along with the Top Wing Transom. We have pre-shaped the inside but not the outside as yet, this will come a bit later Now I must saw up some Cherry Wood to be able to build the other 5 lower Transoms, ENJOY.

Regards LawrenceIMG_5199.JPGIMG_5200.JPGIMG_5201.JPG

Last edited:
I do thank you all for all of your visits to my build log on the little ship the Oliver Cromwell. Back in the Old Ship Yard the little fellows and I have been rather busy building and installing the Wing Transum along with its smaller cousins. Between our household duties and running around we have pre-tapered them on the outside this time, they still need to be touched up a bit yet but we do believe that we will continue onward with more of the fun stuff. We have been looking at the two Outside Counter Timbers so we believe that this will be our next challenge IMG_5202.JPGIMG_5203.JPGIMG_5204.JPG

G'day Lawrence
All I can say is:
Oh what a beauty, I have never seen as good as that before.
You and the little guy deserve a point of the amber liquid.
Happymodeling
Greg
Hello Greg
I thank you very much for your visit to my build log, also for your very kind words and overly nice comments. Yes, the Oliver Cromwell is slowly starting to show her very fine lines. It sure is fun to be able to start adding detail after months of preparation. We were going to add the outside Counter Timbers but on second thought I believe we will start with the 6 inter Counter Timbers as they are just a bit more simpler and they will also give us a bit of practice for the 2 outside Counter Timbers that are much more complicated, ENJOY.
Regards Lawrence

PS - Thanks for the amber resentment but means that it is snowing here in Sutton, Ontario we decided on a Ceaser. We call them a Red Thing here on the old Homestead.

Back