Oliver Cromwell, POF ,Scale 1:48 by Lawrence [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hello Ship Mates

Well, I finally got the Magazine Aft Bulkhead built after all and have installed it along with the Mizzen Mast protector box. Now we must move along a bit further and try to build the forward side of the Magazine Bulkhead that looks very challenging to say the least, ENJOY. Regards Lawrence

IMG_5281.JPGIMG_5282.JPG

Hey Lawrence,
That aft, double bulkhead of the magazine looks great. By not going all the way to the port-side frames makes it pop out. I love the way it looks.

Ray
Hello Ray
I do thank you very much for your visit to my build log. Also for your very kind words and nice comments. Yes, that is the way that the Swam type ships were built in the Magazine area. There was a crawl space from the Stewards room giving access to the Bread Room. This must been a challenge to get to, will attach a sketch of this area to better explain it, ENJOY
Regards Lawrencescan  Magazine on a Swan Ship0001.jpg

Very nice, Lawrence. The light room and powder room had separate entrances, and the light room was often difficult to access. They needed to keep fire away from gunpowder to prevent having a really, really bad day!
Hello Dave
I thank you very much for your visit to my build log. Also for your very kind words and nice comments. Yes the Lower Aft Platform even though it was not added to the original Oliver Cromwell, this is something that I wanted to add to my ship. My build plans do not have this at all and I am following the drawings in my T.F.F.M. book by David Antscherl. That do give me a very good bunch of ideas to work with. Not much time today in the Old Ship Yard but intend to tackle that forward bulkhead tomorrow, I hope, ENJOY.
Regards Lawrence

Hello Ship Mates

I again thank you all for all of your visits to my build log. Also for your very kind words and nice comments. It's has been a rather busy week around the Old Home Stead, taking in most of our Christmas Lighting, replacing the old car battery, looking at and buying a new one that will arrive around the end of the month and to top this all off we had a party for our twin Great Grand Children, three years old already, Where !!! did the time go. Back in the Old Ship Yard the little fellows and I have found a few hours to work on our Forward Magazine Bulkhead. The Bulkhead we built, added the LightRoom Window, this was a very fun part of the job, along with a lantern shelf that we lined in tin foil to help reflect a bit more light into the Magazine. We also built and added the Bread Room door or should I say hatch as it is very tiny. We built and installed the Main Magazine Door and then dry fitted it to the Lower Platform. Now the Magazine Bulkhead requires another two doors and Bulkheads and yet another for the Lightroom. So as you can see we do still have a bit of work ahead of us yet before we can install this Bulkhead and install another Beam over it all for support, The hinges that we choose for this job are a bit out of scale but they were the smallest that we had on hand, ENJOY. Regards LawrenceIMG_5283.JPGIMG_5302.JPGIMG_5303.JPGIMG_5304.JPGIMG_5305.JPG

G'day Lawrence
I'm constantly in consumed with your incredible skills.
Ive got a question about this part of your build...are you going to show the lead floor in the powder room?

G'day Lawrence
I'm constantly in consumed with your incredible skills.
Ive got a question about this part of your build...are you going to show the lead floor in the powder room?
Hello Greg
Yes for sure the led floor will be also part of the Platform Magazine. Still, do not like those oversize hinges, just may send her back for a rebuild, ENJOY
Regards Lawrence

This is quite nice progress, Lawrence! I do like the hinges on the hatch? How you made them?
Hello Jim
I thank you for your visit, No the little hinges were a leftover from my scroll saw days and figured that they might do. But after looking at them they just do not seem to fit in. May try looking for a pattern to build some little ones on the web, ENJOY.
Regards Lawrence

Hello Zoltan
I thank you very much for your visit to my build log. Also for your very kind words and nice comments. Yes slow but sure. It seems that I am still caught up in that Christmas bustle sort of thing, seams that there is so very much to do around the old homestead. I have however remover those oversize hinges and will apply some more appropriate non-working hinges on these doors. Should have an update in a day or so, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence

Hello Ship Mates

Once again I do thank you all very much for all of your visits to my build log. Also for your very kind words and nice comments.

We have been working off and on on the Lower Magazine Platform all week and have finally got all of these little pieces together, so very much very fine detail in such a small space including 5 doors and the window for the LightRoom. We have also added thin paper painted grey to simulate the Led Lining that these ships lined the decks with as a safety precaution against sparks that could trigger an explosion. I have however given this Led Deck covering a coat of varnish to add a bit of depth to it. However, I may have to go back over it again with a dull coat as it turned out just a bit too shiny, this I will decide a bit later after a little bit of feedback from my Ship Mates. I have only dry fitted the Magazine entrance way as yet as we may go back an give the deck a coat of dull coat. We have been looking at the Carkerage Rack and trying to decide if we want to add this to our little ship, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence

PS - I have also removed those oversize working hinges in favor of a non-functioning hinge that seems to fit in much better.
IMG_5306.JPGIMG_5307.JPGIMG_5308.JPGIMG_5309.JPGIMG_5310.JPGIMG_5311.JPGIMG_5312.JPG

Hello Ship Mates

I wish to thank you all for all of your visits to my build log. Also for your many kind words and very helpful hints and comments. Back in the Old Ship Yard after a lot of Hein and Hughen, we did decide that we did want a Cartage Rack in our Magazine. Out TFFM book shows that the Swan Ships do have 3 of these but we felt that this would really crowd things very much in such a tiny space so we decided to give our Oliver Cromwell just one and a bit larger than those shown in the book. Giving the ship a total of 30 cartridges, that is if we got the sizes correct. ENJOY. Regards Lawrence PS - We have also dulled that very shiny grey paint in the Magazine.

IMG_5313.JPGIMG_5314.JPGIMG_5315.JPGIMG_5316.JPGIMG_5317.JPG

Hello Ship Mates
I do thank you all very much for all of your visits to my build log on the little ship the Oliver Cromwell. Also for your many kind words and nice comments. Back in the Old Ship Yard not so good, as of yesterday AM we were trying to lay out the two cabins on the starboard side of the Magazine and try as we may they would not fit at all on our Lower Platform. We went back to our TFFM book and discovered that we had taken our measurements from a 1:96 drawing somehow and even then we were way out in left field. The horror all boils down to the fact that my lower platform was .800" or around 20mm to short and this is the reason that those two cabins on this deck would not fit. So it was back to the rebuild section of the Old Ship Yard and the wrecking crew went to work on the Oliver Cromwell, they completely cleaned out the lower platform. The rebuild has started with the extended platform cribbing installed along with the new Fish Room. The deck planking will start later on today, kind of a hard lesson but it had to be done, ENJOY Regards LawrenceIMG_5318.JPG

Last edited:
Back