Hello from Seattle Washington

Greetings from the somewhat soggy northwest. After many years away from the hobby, I am returning. I stated building plastic models when I was about 8 and continued with balsa flying models and other materials until going off to school. My current build is one of a British Battle Class destroyer at 1:96 scale that I started when I was about 19 years of age and worked on on and off for about three years; it was never finished but has languished at my parents house for many many years until their passing. During that time I was actively working on the destroyer and by an odd series of events, I wound up working for a commercial model maker who had been, in a previous life, a silversmith. The models that I worked upon with him were many and diverse although they were primarily of ships and sailing vessels. Particularly of ships that were instrumental to the exploration of the pacific northwest in the 1700's. Notably the Columbia and the Lady Washington built to 1:48, or so called "museum" scale. I learned many techniques and tricks from him while working with him. At any rate, I am now returning to the hobby and endeavoring to pick up the pieces of the destroyer model. It was and is intended to be for radio control - I will later post some photos to give an idea of its look. All of that aside, I am still fascinated by the beauty and grace of sailing ships and find no greater sense of accomplishment that to fashion some small part of a ship.

Welcome Aboard SOS, Terry! We are glad you find us, we even happier - you like it! If you have already built models we would love to see your work. But first, feel comfortable cruising our forum.

Shane, thank you very much. I find my work is a little dated now that such things as 3D printing are being used to produce detail features that one can just buy online rather than making ones own things that one would normally spend hours upon. Oh well, progress - of a sort. :) Anyway, I will be posting photos shortly.

Terry

Hallo Terry,
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Greetings from the somewhat soggy northwest. After many years away from the hobby, I am returning. I stated building plastic models when I was about 8 and continued with balsa flying models and other materials until going off to school. My current build is one of a British Battle Class destroyer at 1:96 scale that I started when I was about 19 years of age and worked on on and off for about three years; it was never finished but has languished at my parents house for many many years until their passing. During that time I was actively working on the destroyer and by an odd series of events, I wound up working for a commercial model maker who had been, in a previous life, a silversmith. The models that I worked upon with him were many and diverse although they were primarily of ships and sailing vessels. Particularly of ships that were instrumental to the exploration of the pacific northwest in the 1700's. Notably the Columbia and the Lady Washington built to 1:48, or so called "museum" scale. I learned many techniques and tricks from him while working with him. At any rate, I am now returning to the hobby and endeavoring to pick up the pieces of the destroyer model. It was and is intended to be for radio control - I will later post some photos to give an idea of its look. All of that aside, I am still fascinated by the beauty and grace of sailing ships and find no greater sense of accomplishment that to fashion some small part of a ship.
Hallo Terry alias @Terry Christian
Birthday-Cake

Birthday-Cake

Birthday-Cake

Welcome to the forum and welcome back to the model ship building.
We would love to see pictures of your models.

Back