Oliver Cromwell, POF ,Scale 1:48 by Lawrence [COMPLETED BUILD]

Lawrence, I thought you had to make a new one, but it's a good thing you didn't have to.
As you see in my last post I am doing it now, I am happy with the result so far.
Good luck, greetings-
Hello Knut, Sorry for the mix up in the jig, that was not suppose to happen. In your building jig, take your time and only go up to the line, this will make things much easier later on in your build, the extra effort now is well worth the trouble, ENJOY.
Regards Lawrence

Thanks Lawrence, I follow your good advice as best I can, I really appreciate your help, since there are only a small number of models
who builds by the Hahn method it is good to know who I can ask about different challenges, thanks again, greetings-

Wow Lawrence you are really steaming along, all your fittings are great, I'm going to go back through your log to catch up,

Best regards John,
Hello John, I was just about to send you a PM as I was wondering what happened to you. I do not Browse the Forms like I should, will have to make a better effort to do so. Thanks for all of the likes, that was very nice of you. Yes the Oliver Cromwell is a very enjoyable ship to build. I have started the outer hull planking, the lower side is a bit of a pain, but then again I am in no hurry, say hello to your Admiral, ENJOY.
Regards Lawrence

Hello Ship Mates

Just a little update today, as it has been a rather hectic week in the Old Ship Yard. To start with we wanted to plank the outer hull in boxwood, yes, we believe it would have looked great but try as we may we could not ger the boxwood to bend around the lower counter, the bow area was no trouble at all. We had applied the Whales of 3 planks of Walnut wood at 2.5mm x 5mm but when we tried to lay the 2mm Boxwood but the Wales looked to skinny so we have removed these and replaced them with 3.5mm a bit harder to bend but looks much nicer.

Dave Stevens over at the Lumberyard came to my rescue and suggested Natural Pear wood to replace the hard Boxwood. IMG_5533.JPGIMG_5534.JPGWe have reordered our hull planking wood but this time it will be Natural Pear wood at 2mm x 5mm that should arrive at the end of the week, so for now we will tidy up just a bit to fill in time, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence

Nice work Lawrence, Questions, what is the plan for dividing the lower Wales plank, port side ?, BDW, pretty wood type you use.
Hello Knut, I thank you very much for your very kind words and comments. The cut Wales Planks on the Port side are where I will add the Cut Outs for viewing the inside of the ship, the Starboard side will be fully planked and finished, ENJOY.
Regards Lawrence

IMG_5535.JPGIMG_5536.JPG Hello Ship Mates

Work continues in the Old Ship Yard, our Natural Pear Planking Wood has not yet arrived, so the little fellows and I decided to cut our, sand and Mill the planks for the Forecastle Deck Framing and also for the Quarterdeck Framing. We sawed them out on our Scroll Saw then roughed out the shapes on the Disk Sander and then ran them trough our little Mill to true up both sides of these curved planks We required 29 little beams and 4 larger beams to be able to do this job, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence

Hello Ship Mates

The little fellows and I have ordered Natural Pear wood to start the lower Hull planking below the whales, but this has not arrived as yet, We do expect our shipment from The Lumberyard will arrive early this week.IMG_5537.JPGIMG_5538.JPGIMG_5539.JPGIMG_5540.JPG So, to fill in time we have been working on the Rudder Head Trunk and also the two sets of Lockers on either side. As far as we can understand the Oliver Cromwell’s Great room was never finishes on or before her capture by the British.

We decided to use the our book TFFM to build up this area and plan to do so for the area as we do not want to leave it unfinished, ENJOY

Regards Lawrence

Hello Ship Mates

Our Natural Pear Wood for planking the Hull has not arrived as yet from The Lumberyard, so the little fellows and I have been dividing our time by building the Aft bulkhead for closing in the Great Room and also the Captains sleeping Quarters. This bulkhead has two sets of double doors. One set to the Great Room and the other to the Captains sleeping Quarters. This has been a rather enjoyable little project wit yet another to build just a bit longer and also a paneled bulkhead to join the two together, on the real ship these paneled bulkheads would have been removal in times of actin, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence IMG_5541.JPGIMG_5542.JPGIMG_5543.JPG

I think, those small projects make a model alive, even if it required an extra time, it worth every extra minute to spend :) You did a great job on the bulked doors Thumbs-UpBravo!!!
Hello Jim. Thank you very much for your very kind words and nice comments. Yes I do like to add a bit of detail, those doors were a bit fixity and just think I have another set to build. ENJOY.
Regards Lawrence

IMG_5544.JPGIMG_5545.JPGIMG_5546.JPG Hello Ship[Mates

Just a little rebuild today. We have looked at our last 3 pictures posted a couple of days ago and all though they are rather large they do show that the door window Muttons are just to big and rather poorly installed. Well today we could not take it any longer so the little fellows and I remover the doors and replaced the door window Muttons, not perfect as yet but we feel that they are much better and closer to scale, now we can continue with the construction of the forward Bulkhead, ENJOY.

Regards Lawrence

Back