On Which Vessels Have You Visited or Sailed

Recent posts brought this idea to mind. I was curious to know how many members have sailed as crew or passengers on boats or ships, large and small and, if possible, post pictures and the names of these vessels. This includes visits to ships like Victory or Constitution et al. The idea may be a bust, but hopefully some will find it interesting.
Allan

There was the old steam paddle 'free' ferry. Growing up in London as a kid my friends and I would often ride it across the Thames and back. Best of all was the passenger viewing platform in the engine room. This was one of four altogether - one of them even went to Dunkirk to help evacuate the troops.

Unfortunately I would bore you to tears with a list. I have 5 notebooks filled with information. Then I quit keeping track

Unfortunately I would bore you to tears with a list.
OK, I'll start the boredom with a partial list, but hope you will add the boredom as well. :)
Freighters
SS African Comet C-4 NY to South Africa and Mozambique 60 days
African Comet.JPG

SS American Merchant C-2 This was built in 1945 so it was old even in '66 when I was aboard. January and February across the north Atlantic would have been very scary if I was not still a teenager and didn't know better how dangerous the voyage back to NY from Southampton really was. We were hove to and lost about 50 nm one day it was so bad.
American Merchant 2a.jpg

More to come
Allan

Santa Elena, first ship I sailed with bow thrusters and bridge control of the main engine speed. After a small collision in Buena Ventura trying to dock, there were some lessons offered for the pilots. :( Pic below is one of her sisters, Santa Paula.

Santa Paula.jpg

Pioneer Myth C-4 NY to far east and back 90 day trip.

1721521367600.png

PIoneer Myth C-4 NY to far east and back 90 days trip.

Santa Elena, first ship I sailed with bow thrusters bridge control of the main engine speed (HP steam propulsion)_ After a small collision in Buenaventura trying to dock, there were some lessons offered for the pilots. :( Pic below is one of her sisters, Santa Paula.

View attachment 460107

Military Vessels
USS Hank DD702. 30 days USNR duty. Never left port of Philadelphia. Boring!
1721521782815.png
USS Yosemite (AD-19) a Dixie-class destroyer tender built during World War II for the U.S. Navy. Fun duty in Mayport, FL for a month. Easy peasy.
yosemite-1968-dan-owens-1200x500.jpg

Last edited:
Back