Ooops Fair-A-Frame - building a better one

Bowed, warped, twisted, flimsy, unstable and the screws cannot be tightened enough, structural slipping, so many variables that nothing can or will remain square on just about every plane on any surface. Oh dear :(

Last edited:
....I've often wondered about those things. Heard years ago they were garbage. Kind of like the "jig for shrouds".

Yes I agree, I think the concept is reasonable, but should be simplified and redesigned using decent, solid, and larger timber all around. Screw heads squared an inset into timber so the wingnuts can be tightened for example.

And I thought I was the only one that had problems wi this jig. You have inspired me to create some space in my closet that had heretofore held my fair-a-frame. Thank you for the courage to recognize that not everything in life makes one’s life easier!

Glad to be of service. The truth hurts but we are better off with it than without it. The truth I mean.

I have an amended design of this jig in mind with different materials etc, unsure whether to spend the time on it though, I have a number of other projects I would rather continue on with. Hmmmm.

I should have titled this thread:

Ooops Fair-A-Frame - Building A Better One​

Is there a way to edit thread titles?

I keep thinking of a modified and sturdy build that keeps rolling around in my head, using the Fair-A-Frame concept. I have hoop pine boat timber for it.

I should have titled this thread:

Ooops Fair-A-Frame - Building A Better One​

Is there a way to edit thread titles?

I keep thinking of a modified and sturdy build that keeps rolling around in my head, using the Fair-A-Frame concept. I have hoop pine boat timber for it.
Done, actually I just use a plywood board and some shelf support brackets, works perfect.

That’s nice, Phil. I think I’m going to need to copy your design (Plagiarism is the sincerest form of flattery).

I grabbed a fair-a-frame yesterday at the local hobby shop’s going-out-of-business sale. As soon as I started assembling it, I knew the screws were going to be a problem. I’ve ordered some 10-24 carriage bolts which have the added advantage of fitting the slots better than the 8-32 screws provided. That should solve the slipping problem and help keep things square.

Even if I can make the F-A-F work for assembling bulkheads, something like Phil’s setup will be useful for supporting planked hulls.

Back