Opinions on Amati Rigging Line?

Hi. Does anyone know of a supplier in the UK for better quality rope. Almost finished the Corel Endeavour and I have been disappointed with the ropes supplied.

Hi. Does anyone know of a supplier in the UK for better quality rope. Almost finished the Corel Endeavour and I have been disappointed with the ropes supplied.
Not in the UK but I use a company in Germany called Morope (Takelgarne)... its a bit of a one man band run by Andreas and only takes funds by Bank Transfer...but his quality is the best I've worked with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi. That’s great thanks. Could I ask. The rope is sold in both left hand and right hand lay. I know the difference but what’s the difference in relation to rigging the model?

Robster.
Left hand lay would be used to rig the port side shrouds...but I have yet to meet a none rivet counter who would notice the difference...

Thanks for that. I note they do cotton or polyester. What’s the difference in relation to how they look or handle.

Cotton can be fuzzy unless you wax it, and does not last as long an other line materials. Polyester is stretchy, and won't go slack and stay slack with changes in moisture, but will unravel at the ends when you cut it unless you add a drop of glue to the line before you cut it. It can be a bit too shiny to simulate rope at times, and if accidentally cut, more difficult to repair by splice. Old timer like to use old linen fishing line, which is most excellent and long lasting. Cotton is one of the shortest lasting lines you can use, if you want the model to last a century. Of course, linen fishing line on the original 1950's spools goes for lots of money on eBay when you can find it, so that's one traditional material that is fast disappearing, just line drafting linen was for sail material. I have used both polyester and cotton, and there are advantages to each. Tom Lauria has an excellent video on YouTube regarding the use of both materials in rigging. Well worth watching:

Tom Lauria - Rigging Part 1

In fact, you should watch all Tom Lauria's videos if you haven't already. I sure learned a lot from him.

Hello,
I make my own strings using a homemade stringing machine. I can sell cotton, polyester or polyamide ropes at very attractive prices. I have 3 strand or 4 strand ropes with core in different colors. But so far I have only delivered in France. I'm not sure how to easily send ropes outside the European Union.
Here are some examples (polyester) :
IMG_3487-2.jpg
Img_3237.jpg

Contact me if you are interested.
Kind regards,
Fred

Hello,
I make my own strings using a homemade stringing machine. I can sell cotton, polyester or polyamide ropes at very attractive prices. I have 3 strand or 4 strand ropes with core in different colors. But so far I have only delivered in France. I'm not sure how to easily send ropes outside the European Union.
Here are some examples (polyester) :
View attachment 227332
View attachment 227334

Contact me if you are interested.
Kind regards,
Fred
Hallo Fred,
Your ropes are looking very good
You can also start a new topic especially for your offered ropes, maybe here!?! With this your offered ropes can be find easier in future

only a small hint:
I guess the diameter of one ropes (red arrow) are incorrect, due to the fact that the photo is showing a thicker rope than the 1,2mm example - please check (in moment you have two times 1,2mm mentioned
Img_3237.jpg

Back