Options for POF kits

As a change from POB kits I starter my first POF kit, the Emma C Berry from model shipways.
I'm enjoying the challenge of POF construction and am looking at options for my next POF kit.
As I look I have found the Oneida and Hanna from The Lumberyard . The laser cut pieces of the ECB
are helpful as I mostly have hand tools and a Dremel with attachments.
Based on what I have for tools would the Oneida be a good next step for me. Would you please
make suggestions.
Thank you

HI MAVRIK, I TRIED THE ONEDIA IT LACKS ONE VERY, VERY VERY, IMPORTANT THING NO BUILDING JIG, YOU CAN NOT DO REPEAT NOT DUE A POF WITH OUT A BUILDING JIG I HAD TO STOP THE ONEDIA UNFORTUNATLY IT IS A GREAT KIT BUT ESPECIALL FOR A FIRST TIME POF BUILD A MUC, MUCH BETTER CHOICE IS THE LUMBERYARDS CAUSTIC KIT, WITH ADDED PLUS BEING BUILT BY WINSTON ON MSB, A GREAT STARTER POF KIT GOT ME STARTED ON POF NOW THAT IS ALL I LOOK TO DO, HOPE THIS HELPS. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON

HI MAVRIK, I TRIED THE ONEDIA IT LACKS ONE VERY, VERY VERY, IMPORTANT THING NO BUILDING JIG, YOU CAN NOT DO REPEAT NOT DUE A POF WITH OUT A BUILDING JIG I HAD TO STOP THE ONEDIA UNFORTUNATLY IT IS A GREAT KIT BUT ESPECIALL FOR A FIRST TIME POF BUILD A MUC, MUCH BETTER CHOICE IS THE LUMBERYARDS CAUSTIC KIT, WITH ADDED PLUS BEING BUILT BY WINSTON ON MSB, A GREAT STARTER POF KIT GOT ME STARTED ON POF NOW THAT IS ALL I LOOK TO DO, HOPE THIS HELPS. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON
hello donfarr
Thank you for this heads up regarding the lack of building jig. Ill look at the Caustic kit as suggested. Your reply is appreciate .
Stay safe and stay well.

I second Don’s statement about not having a jig, it makes the Oneida build very difficult, not impossible as there are some fine builds of that kit around but very frustrating- I have put mine aside because I have to re do the front cant frames because of alignment issues due to no jig.... the Caustic or the Bluenose POF would be a much better intro to POF building. I would recommend the Bluenose as you get more value for money, that kit at $240 ish shipped is probably the best value/deal in ship modeling right now! Hope that helps....

I SECOND STARGAZERS COMENTS ABOUT BLUE NOSE ALSO MUCH VERY DETAILED HELP AND INFORMATION BY HEINRICH ON THE BUILD LOGS TAKE A LOOK THERE ARE A LOT AND GROWING, QUESTIONS ARE ANSWERED BY MANY, AND IT IS THE BEST VALUE OUT THERE QUALITY SUPERB. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE YOU AND YOURS DON

I second Don’s statement about not having a jig, it makes the Oneida build very difficult, not impossible as there are some fine builds of that kit around but very frustrating- I have put mine aside because I have to re do the front cant frames because of alignment issues due to no jig.... the Caustic or the Bluenose POF would be a much better intro to POF building. I would recommend the Bluenose as you get more value for money, that kit at $240 ish shipped is probably the best value/deal in ship modeling right now! Hope that helps....
Stargager
I was curious about cost of Bluenose kit and appreciate the information. Thank you and Mr Farr for your replies.

Stargager
I was curious about cost of Bluenose kit and appreciate the information. Thank you and Mr Farr for your replies.
The Bluenose would be wonderful, but if you settle on the Caustic, find Dave Stevens 36 part series on youtube. Proudtower

I want to thank everyone for your helpful responses to my question. I decided my next build will be the caustic then bluenose with others after that.
Thanks again for your valuable input.

As a change from POB kits I starter my first POF kit, the Emma C Berry from model shipways.
I'm enjoying the challenge of POF construction and am looking at options for my next POF kit.
As I look I have found the Oneida and Hanna from The Lumberyard . The laser cut pieces of the ECB
are helpful as I mostly have hand tools and a Dremel with attachments.
Based on what I have for tools would the Oneida be a good next step for me. Would you please
make suggestions.
Thank you
I have build both. The Hanna is (relatively) easier and supported by a very good practicum.
The Oneida require greater experience and skills and much more involved and detailed. More a step on the road to full scratch building. It will take much longer.
Both in their way are very satisfying .
The wood and service from the Lumberyard are excellent.

I have build both. The Hanna is (relatively) easier and supported by a very good practicum.
The Oneida require greater experience and skills and much more involved and detailed. More a step on the road to full scratch building. It will take much longer.
Both in their way are very satisfying .
The wood and service from the Lumberyard are excellent.
Thank you stuglo for your reply and thoughts about the two Lumberyard kits. Something to consider for the future.

If you start with POF kits, why not starting with a section model, so you can get a feeling for the different works
f.e. the Bonhomme Richard or the new HMS Granado (release end of January)

If you start with POF kits, why not starting with a section model, so you can get a feeling for the different works
f.e. the Bonhomme Richard or the new HMS Granado (release end of January)

Uwe
My thoughts about choosing The Caustic is as a continuation to build a stem to stern POF model after my Emma C Berry.
I do feel thought that the section model would be valuable as I progress in the future with more complex kits.
Thank you for your thoughts , your suggestion helps me as I think of future builds.

Uwe
My thoughts about choosing The Caustic is as a continuation to build a stem to stern POF model after my Emma C Berry.
I do feel thought that the section model would be valuable as I progress in the future with more complex kits.
Thank you for your thoughts , your suggestion helps me as I think of future builds.
Did you happen to find Dave Steven's "Caustic" on youtube? Proudtower

I want to say thanks to everyone for their help with my question. I feel I’m in good company here among talented and knowledgeable ship model enthusiasts. Reviewing what you’ve presented helps me map out what is next.
Regards

Back