Ordering blocks

I'm to the point on the Discovery1789 of rigging the steering/tiller so I thought that if I'm going to need a few blocks for that then I might as well try to order all of them. It's in 1:48 scale. Ship rigged. 300 ton. Don't know what else you might need. I'm hoping someone can give me a very rough idea of what I should order. Sizes, numbers, that kind of thing. Anything I do would just be a WAG.
Thanks
Don

Thanks Zoly Would you have a rough guess as to how many of each? I tried looking at kits to see if they would give a list of contents but had no luck. Does anyone have a guess as to how many blocks were used on a small ship in total? I guess I could just get 50 of each but that just goes against my basic nature. I hate waste.

I think the total number of blocks will depends very much on the detail grade you want to make the rigging......
But maybe you should start step by step first with the tiller, maybe the guns (if any) plus the deadeyes necessary
The weight of blocks is very small, more or less zero, so the postal costs from canadian Dry Docks to Vancouver for a small envelope will be also small.
So you could order your needs of blocks in two or three steps......

The shipping is about $17Can whether I get 1 or 3 packages so it's to my advantage to order as much as possible.

While I'm here and starting to think about rigging I'm going to need a book to explain it all. Any recommendations for English ships of around 300 tons?

The ship in question was a full-rigged sloop so Lennarth Petersson's book Rigging: period ship models would be a helpful aid in rigging. It's all pictures and has an index naming all of the various lines, I would highly recommend it.

The shipping is about $17Can whether I get 1 or 3 packages so it's to my advantage to order as much as possible.

While I'm here and starting to think about rigging I'm going to need a book to explain it all. Any recommendations for English ships of around 300 tons?

I was looking around the Dry dock site and saw an "upgrade kit" for the HMS Ontario 1780. It seems to be a nice assortment of blocks. It's for a two masted ship but I'm thinking it may be a good start. The smallest block is 3mm so I may get a package of 2.5mm singles to go with it. Does this sound like a decent plan.

I was looking around the Dry dock site and saw an "upgrade kit" for the HMS Ontario 1780. It seems to be a nice assortment of blocks. It's for a two masted ship but I'm thinking it may be a good start. The smallest block is 3mm so I may get a package of 2.5mm singles to go with it. Does this sound like a decent plan.
Yes that is a good start and from there you can figure out what else you need

In planning the rigging on my Billings Cutty Sark, I did an Excel spread sheet based on Longridge's tables of blocks and rigging points on the model. Did the same for all the standing and running rigging. Took some time but ran short on very little, mostly based on my carelessness.

JIm R

I'm to the point on the Discovery1789 of rigging the steering/tiller so I thought that if I'm going to need a few blocks for that then I might as well try to order all of them. It's in 1:48 scale. Ship rigged. 300 ton. Don't know what else you might need. I'm hoping someone can give me a very rough idea of what I should order. Sizes, numbers, that kind of thing. Anything I do would just be a WAG.
Thanks
Don
I like the "beautiful blocks" by Model Expo. They are the best quality blocks I have come across.

I like the "beautiful blocks" by Model Expo. They are the best quality blocks I have come across.
Hmm...does Model Expo make their own blocks? However, I highly recommend visiting the shop (link below), you may change your opinion about the 'Best quality blocks'. I guarantee you will not leave this shop without making the first purchase!

Oh...no..., this is not an advertisement, this is reality!!

My copy of Rigging Period Ship Models arrived last Friday. Excellent reference book. Recommended. Purchased through ABE and lucky to find a copy at an Australian bookseller so reasonable postage costs.

Hmm...does Model Expo make their own blocks? However, I highly recommend visiting the shop (link below), you may change your opinion about the 'Best quality blocks'. I guarantee you will not leave this shop without making the first purchase!

Oh...no..., this is not an advertisement, this is reality!!

Thanks, This does look like an excellent source for quality blocks. I did not find them when I searched for blocks.

Back