Ordering from China regarding Coronavirus

I think I’ll just wait a little while before I order the Bonhomme Richard - just to be on the safe side. From what I’ve read there should be no problem, but this outbreak is in it’s early stages and details may change. I don’t want to start a heated discussion - I’ll admit upfront I’m being really cautious about this. I should also mention that I’m 70 years old (but don’t feel it) and I had heart surgery last week.

Feel free to say I’m crazy - my kids say that all the time.

Last edited:
I don’t think you should be worried. The virus only spreads through breathing microscopic droplets in the air when in close contact to a person who is suffering from the illness. The virus is very short lived once in the atmosphere. There should be absolutely zero risk of catching the virus from a non living object sent via the mail.

I think I’ll just wait a little while before I order the Bonhomme Richard - just to be on the safe side. From what I’ve read there should be no problem, but this outbreak is in it’s early stages and details may change. I don’t want to start a heated discussion - I’ll admit upfront I’m being really cautious about this. I should also mention that I’m 70 years old (but don’t feel it) and I had heart surgery last week.

Paul,
Your cautiousness is warranted but I think the virus would not spread via mail - having said that who knows what's gonna happen tomorrow?
Janos

I have booked a holiday tour through China in 4 weeks time. My wife doesn't want to go because of the Corona virus.

This is the regular flu season casulties,compare this to the Coronavirus hysteria and think

In total, the CDC estimates that up to 42.9 million people got sick during the 2018-2019 flu season, 647,000 people were hospitalized and 61,200 died. That's fairly on par with a typical season, and well below the CDC's 2017-2018 estimates of 48.8 million illnesses, 959,000 hospitalizations and 79,400 death.

Last edited:
Well... the only known military laboratorium which is working (although forbidden of course) on developing biological weapons in China is in Wuhan... add two and two...
Janos

Already had my full quota of heart attacks this year. Good luck to both of us!

Rather than a risk of getting sick, I imagine the impact will be that if you order there may be a moratorium put in place by the CDC or some other agency to prevent ANYTHING from China entering the country. So you may be waiting a while. Who really knows? I agree with the others, you don't stand much chance of contracting the virus by parcel.

Hi guys, I'm getting emails from all sorts of places regarding delays from china ( albeit some are for orders over 2 years old that I already received.). I suggest we all be patient on any asian deliveries or do not proceed til lts all resolved. Some site are also notifying no international goods till resolved. There will be huge delays for a while yet.

Don your very luck you got something!.

Time to finish what you have and start on that stockpile.

Hi Paul, my current project will take years to finish, (my first scratch and my first French ship) with GILLES HELP MOVING FORWARD,I will use the X SE$CTION as a fill in when i have to have break from Le Rochefort, will do a kit review soon only kidding about the time line probally a year. Don

Well, I would suggest to wait a little bit, most of offices and factories in China will be closed till 17th of February, I therefore suppose that plenty of orders are building-up at suppliers, the same goes for their port offices.
There will be strong chances for your order to be lost somewhere.
I personally would prefer to wait for things to get back to normal.

Mario,
Thanks for the info. The thought of my order getting lost is troubling. Maybe I should cancel and wait to purchase in a few months when conditions are better.

ok so build logs of Chinese model companys are not banned here in Sos ? they are on NRG sites

Chinese (or any other) kits are not banned on SoS. They were banned in general on the MSW. As Brian said, some (ie. CAF) are not banned there any more. My sneaky suspicion is that Syren and CAF came to a subcontractor sort of agreement with each other so they love CAF at the moment. Business is business, no matter what they were fighting against before.
Janos

Back