Paddle Steamer Robert E. Lee, scale 1:96, scratch build by the Alan L. Bates drawings [COMPLETED BUILD]

Ciao Peter, hai fatto un capolavoro.

Quando vedo queste opere perfette, penso che dovrei lasciar perdere con il modellismo, ahahahahahah.
Io sono ad anni luce di distanza.
Il periodo scelto è molto interessante perchè concide con quello scelto per il mio modello di "Free Interpretation", peccato che la tipologia di nave è totalmente differente perciò non ho elementi da poter ricopiare.

Hi Peter, you've made a masterpiece.

When I see these perfect works, I think I should give up on modeling, hahahahahahah.
I'm light years away.
The period chosen is very interesting because it coincides with the one chosen for my "Free Interpretation" model, it's a shame that the type of ship is totally different so I have no elements I can copy.
Thanks for the visit and the compliments, Allessandro. I am sure you won’t give up modeling. :)
Regards, Peter

Final report:
After 2 construction periods from 1987 to 1991 and April 2019 to February 2021, with a total of almost 1100 construction hours, the first sailing with the Robert E. Lee was made: to the photo studio:
View attachment 217259
Here's a few images. A series has been sent to Donnie who will soon add them in the Completed Models Showcase.

The daylight lamps make it very visible that the 30 year old paint of the hull and the 1st deck is already quite discoloured. But is will give extra charm to the story of The Lee.

With grey back ground:
View attachment 217261

The bow and the stern:
View attachment 217265

Never made it before, from above:
View attachment 217266

The hidden steam engine:
View attachment 217267

With a white back ground:
View attachment 217268

A lot of lines, from chains&braces, spacers, guys, uprights, masts, stairs .......
View attachment 217269

And the comparison in greyscale with my main example photo:
View attachment 217270
I couldn't do exactly right away with my modern camera lenses. It is very likely the old photo was taken with a bellows camera.
It also flattened the ship. In Photoshop, I also flattened mine slightly with the help of a overlay with shifting the transparency.

I would like to thank everyone who has read and watched the build-log, provided with advice, comments and likes.
The construction of The Lee and the making of the report has given me great pleasure and satisfaction.
See you (perhaps) in mij BN build-log ;)
Regards, Peter
Good afternoon Peter. This hidden gem popped up the other day. Rather than sending a 100 wow’s I thought it better to complete this build log and then comment. And now I am speechless…. Peter you are a master shipbuilder no doubt. Incredible! Cheers Grant

Good afternoon Peter. This hidden gem popped up the other day. Rather than sending a 100 wow’s I thought it better to complete this build log and then comment. And now I am speechless…. Peter you are a master shipbuilder no doubt. Incredible! Cheers Grant
And glad that the log popped up and you could look at it, Grant. Thanks for the wow’s and compliments. Much appreciated!
Regards, Peter

Back