Paddle Steamer Robert E. Lee, scale 1:96, scratch build by the Alan L. Bates drawings [COMPLETED BUILD]

Thanks for sharing your build Peter,

Also the knowledge you have shared, the amount of bracing on these larger river boats is not something I had any idea of and the size of that helm / ships wheel is a lot bigger than I expected seeing the rudder looks quite small. I would imagine that any sharp turns would be done by stopping one paddle wheel whilst the other carried on, even better reverse one side while the other side is going forward.

I am looking forward to the rest of your build.

Cheers,
Stephen.

Got back to work on The Lee.

Working from back to front, I have to make the 3 rowing boats. 1 hangs on the back and is a bit more robust than the other 2. On the drawings and in the Cyclopedeum, Alan Bates says: it must be a yawl.
But when I Google on ‘Yawl’, I see only 2 masts sailing boats.
Can someone give me a hint?

But it's obviously the workboat.
The other two are on the decks, outside the railings behind the Wheelhouses. These are life-boats.

When I first had the drawings, so in the late 80s, I started looking for parts. Like the steering wheel (not used), ship bell and found 3 boats in two different sizes.
Dived into my material box and yes, found them.
The pictures are all almost macro's, so you see really everything!

241 Boats1.jpg
Pretty rough.

I had in mind that when you see these boats, you should also be able to see some of the stucture. Like the ribs.
In the course of the months on the MBF and SoS see a lot of beautiful boats pass by. The latest weeks by @Ken and his AV and @Dean62 with his Cazador Xebec.
But to start looking again now some new of kits …..
First, the challenge if there's anything to make of it.

The longest two boats where to long to fit between the davits. Cut off a part and fitted a new back.
First a layer of base paint and something bent from Evergreen to see if it's something:
242 Boats2.jpg
And all three:
243 Boats3.jpg
There is a great deal to be done about this now.

While drying the next layer of base paint, once with the oars.
The parts:
244 Peddels1.jpg
Together:
245 Peddels2.jpg
Handles filed, but still a bit to tune. (And nr 3 turned around)

After drying, sanding and a new layer:
246 Boats4.jpg
The two on the right look like flat bottoms, but from there side:
247 Boats5.jpg
The front one, which comes on the back, is a little deeper:
248 Boats6.jpg
Fitting a floor.

Anyway, more work to make it look like something.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Before I could attach the rowboat on the stern, I had to replace the railing on the back of the Hurricane Deck.
A few months ago, a metal square tilted against the railing. I was able to fix it, but it wasn't tight anymore.
A few weeks ago, when I returned the display case over the model, I hit the same railing.
It was more of less total-loss.
So, printed a new one from the restored files, hit the 1mm rounds and cut the rest. After spraying it was ready to install.
First cut of the old:
249 Railing.jpg
Placed some new uprights:
250 Railing.jpg
Forgotten to make a pictures when it was replaced. But ……

So I was working on the rowboats. First, the one at the stern.
What you see:
251 Boats7.jpg
As shown on the drawings.
Is what you get:
252 Boats8.jpg
The small hand winch for the pick-up and lowering of the rowing boat can (just) be seen.
And the ropes for the turning of the boom, neatly hung on the railing.

But also a view on the replaced railing:
253 Railing.jpg

With a little overview:
254 Boats9.jpg

255 Boats10.jpg

Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Before I could attach the rowboat on the stern, I had to replace the railing on the back of the Hurricane Deck.
A few months ago, a metal square tilted against the railing. I was able to fix it, but it wasn't tight anymore.
A few weeks ago, when I returned the display case over the model, I hit the same railing.
It was more of less total-loss.
So, printed a new one from the restored files, hit the 1mm rounds and cut the rest. After spraying it was ready to install.
First cut of the old:
View attachment 203734
Placed some new uprights:
View attachment 203735
Forgotten to make a pictures when it was replaced. But ……

So I was working on the rowboats. First, the one at the stern.
What you see:
View attachment 203736
As shown on the drawings.
Is what you get:
View attachment 203737
The small hand winch for the pick-up and lowering of the rowing boat can (just) be seen.
And the ropes for the turning of the boom, neatly hung on the railing.

But also a view on the replaced railing:
View attachment 203738

With a little overview:
View attachment 203739

View attachment 203740

Regards, Peter
Nice recovery on the railing and excellent job on the small boat! The Lee is a real beauty! ;)

It took some time and the necessary efforts, but also the 2 other rowing boats are fitted.
256 Boats11.jpg
-4 oars with rowlocks;
-Rudder with 2 gudgeons on the transom;
-Eyes for the falls;
-A skeg to made the boat run straight.

Because the davits are simple booms that hinge right outward, I had to come up with something for the booms, when they are once upright, can't fall inside.
257 Boats12.jpg
First dry-fitted.
On each little stand a holder with a fork and also a small winch, because the weight of a rowing boat you do not pull on 2 single discs pulleys.

The booms in place with already the ropes for the boat falls:
258 Boats13.jpg

First the 2 booms, each with their guys attached to the floor/roof frame:
259 Boats14.jpg

And with full rigging:
260 Boats15.jpg
Because the 2 guys on the booms runs sideways outwards and backwards, there is a spreader between the 2 booms in the top, so they are not pulled outwards.

With more and more vertical lines, I have to pay more attention with the shooting. A little too close or a little too far wide angle and the outside sides bend very much outward.
The back is now also getting a bit fuller:
261 Boats16.jpg

And just one more overview from behind:
262 Boats17.jpg

Regards, Peter

It took some time and the necessary efforts, but also the 2 other rowing boats are fitted.
View attachment 205199
-4 oars with rowlocks;
-Rudder with 2 gudgeons on the transom;
-Eyes for the falls;
-A skeg to made the boat run straight.

Because the davits are simple booms that hinge right outward, I had to come up with something for the booms, when they are once upright, can't fall inside.
View attachment 205200
First dry-fitted.
On each little stand a holder with a fork and also a small winch, because the weight of a rowing boat you do not pull on 2 single discs pulleys.

The booms in place with already the ropes for the boat falls:
View attachment 205201

First the 2 booms, each with their guys attached to the floor/roof frame:
View attachment 205202

And with full rigging:
View attachment 205203
Because the 2 guys on the booms runs sideways outwards and backwards, there is a spreader between the 2 booms in the top, so they are not pulled outwards.

With more and more vertical lines, I have to pay more attention with the shooting. A little too close or a little too far wide angle and the outside sides bend very much outward.
The back is now also getting a bit fuller:
View attachment 205205

And just one more overview from behind:
View attachment 205206

Regards, Peter
Excellent work Peter! She’s a real gem! ;)

To me it looks like you aregetting close to the end of this build.

Cheers,
Stephen.
Hello Stephen,
At first, thanxs for the visites, the likes and the reply’s.
Perhaps for you always the question after a new posted chapter: what now?
But that's still the surprise.
A little tip: +/- 10 items to go ........
Also the knowledge you have shared, the amount of bracing on these larger river boats is not something I had any idea of and the size of that helm / ships wheel is a lot bigger than I expected seeing the rudder looks quite small. I would imagine that any sharp turns would be done by stopping one paddle wheel whilst the other carried on, even better reverse one side while the other side is going forward.
Cheers,
Stephen.
I was forgotten to answer on this reply:
Although the rudder is small, it does have quite a lot of influence on such a large flat bases boat, without a keel. But both of the engines / paddle wheels were able to run separately and gives a lot of input by turning or stopping.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Back