Painting decks

Pwh

Currently planking the deck of AL Harvey. However I would like to stain the deck which made up of bokapi wood planks. I tested a sample with 2 stains with 2 coats. Top is American Chestnut and the darker one is Dark Walnut. Overall not happy with the results. Should I be using a different type of stain to get a more deeper stain look or leave bokapi wood as is since it does not absorb paint very well ?

Attachments

• IMG_1407.jpg
    IMG_1407.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1408.jpg
    IMG_1408.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1409.jpg
    IMG_1409.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 59
These do not look good. You need some much lighter hue. I would try a water diluted watercolor paints - a watercolor wash. When satisfied with the color - cover with transparent lacquer as acrylic one.

These do not look good. You need some much lighter hue. I would try a water diluted watercolor paints - a watercolor wash. When satisfied with the color - cover with transparent lacquer as acrylic one.
I agree with @Y.T. that a much lighter tone will bring out the deck and everything that is placed upon it later. Use a stain conditioner before the stain to even the application out. Look carefully a the stain samples on wood in the store, possibly a Golden Pecan could be a starting point as it is very light in tone. Your eye will tell you what you think is best as you continue more samples. Rich (PT-2)

I have used a wash on the deck of my Baltimore clipper. I used flat ebony black water colour paint mixed in a bunch of water to dilute it. It took some testing on scrap until I was satisfied

Attachments

• C35F30F1-52D5-4861-804F-7A86533BC11B.jpeg
    C35F30F1-52D5-4861-804F-7A86533BC11B.jpeg
    248.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 48B8820A-D43A-49A4-8642-41B4B55DF9E8.jpeg
    48B8820A-D43A-49A4-8642-41B4B55DF9E8.jpeg
    243.6 KB · Views: 17
I have used a wash on the deck of my Baltimore clipper. I used flat ebony black water colour paint mixed in a bunch of water to dilute it. It took some testing on scrap until I was satisfied
This looks like a very carefully masked paint job with very crisp clean paint edges. When I saw the close proximity of the belaying pins/rails, it made me wonder about the challenge of hanging faux rope hanks on each one for the line fall of each. BC is a very popular ship and well known so I'll be watching with interest as you continue. Rich (PT-2)

Regrettably the BC has been put to bed for know. Catarack surgery is need can’t see well enough to start the rigging. As for the belaying pins, I thought I did as per the plans, your point is appreciated and understood. I have started to make the Mantua model HMS Victory Launch, thinking of making a build of this as I will need some guidance Brian B

Regrettably the BC has been put to bed for know. Catarack surgery is need can’t see well enough to start the rigging. As for the belaying pins, I thought I did as per the plans, your point is appreciated and understood. I have started to make the Mantua model HMS Victory Launch, thinking of making a build of this as I will need some guidance Brian B
I can fully empathize with your cataract vision problems. I had both done over 10 years ago but since then have had advanced macular degeneration in both eyes with the right one going fully non-functional and the left better one with fog banks that come and go. No sense of depth perception for anything. It is all moving my fingers around until I finally make contact with whatever it is that I am trying to do. My retinal doc has had me on Preservision 2 for some years. It is now my #1 go to med not to be skipped as I don't want to lose the little that I have left. Take care. Rich (PT-2)

Rich sorry to hear about the eyes. Glad to hear you are still modeling, Sail on. Saw you new kit from China, will be watching the build Brian B

Back