painting metal parts?

IMO opinion primer is not necessary for most modelling purposes as long as the metal is cleaned thoroughly and not super smooth so that paint will not adhere properly. Most modelling metal parts have some roughness which allow paint to adhere. Primers for metal are used mostly to protect the metal from the elements to prevent oxidisation and rust so usually are not applicable for static models. Metals like aluminium may require an etch primer to roughen the surface and galvanised steel needs a primer to help adherence from what I know. Unless colours are required chemical blackening, blueing or browning is a far better option.

Last edited:
Based on what I have learned, I concur with ADC's comment. I contacted Nic at Bluejacket and he told me that it's immaterial whether the part is primed or not. The only thing that really matters is that the metal part be thoroughly cleaned/de-greased.

Also, if you take a look at Tom Lauria's Youtube video, "Blocks not from scratch, part 1" -
he paints the metal Bluejacket blocks without priming and he also says how important de-greasing the parts is. He suggests 30 minutes soaking in white vinegar or a much shorter time in acetone or lacquer thinner.

David

I have found that while a good cleaning to remove grease is a good idea when dealing with things like "britannia" or white metal it is almost universaly accepted to prime before painting. Chemicals in the metal can cause paint to discolor or separate from the metal. Unless I am using a blackening agent on brass parts I always prime before painting metal. After all - you wouldn't want to paint a car without primer only to have the paint peel off after a month or two.

Back