Painting with wood - Part two

Hi every one, NEED HELP WITH A PROJECT THAT I NAM STARTING IN OCTOBER FOR A CHRISTMAS PRESENT for my oldest son, but want to start getting materials now, it is a BREAD AND BUTTER BUILD OF A WWII LIBERTY SHIP and I need to select the wood that I will be using for color, I am posting pictures of the plans and a photo ( IT IS FROM A KIT THAT I GOT on ebay all in BALSA witch I am dicarding completly) I need sugestions not only for color but the THICKNESS OF THE LAYERS, the plans call for 1/8 INCH MATERIAL, but i am worried about the appearance of to many glue lines and was thinking about using 1/4 INCH MATERIAL, need help on this PLEASE20190708_041053[5863].jpg20190708_041259[5862].jpg20190708_041658[5861].jpg20190708_041819[5860].jpg20190708_042102[5859].jpg20190708_041658[5861].jpg

Hi Don,
The glue lines will not matter if it is going to be painted. Just use wood filler to get a smooth surface once assembled then use a primer, then the finishing paint.
G

Hi Gilles, I did not explain it properly, I want to use all natural woods like BLOODWOOD OR MAHAGONY, CHERRY, all tung oil finished,Many red colored woods available but need help in selection above waterline and for decks and witch wood would be best for the red color and i have to be careful of costs because of a lot of waste, NO PAINT FOR ME LIKE JIM PAINT AND DON DO NOT GET ALONG, if you have a chance look at my log for PAINTING WITH WOOD listed the kit section, thi is what i am trying to acomplish with this one also. Don

THANKS DOC, I am stumped on that one too, what do you think about the GLUE LINES witch thickness to use 1/8 inch as the plans call for or 1/4 inch to have less glue lines. THANKS Don

Hi Don,
A dark grey translucent stain on a light-colored wood (basswood) would probably look okay for the superstructure.
Mike

Hi Doc and Mike, THANKS THIS IS THE WAY I WILL GO as then templates are set for 1/8 inch pieces I think if i went with 1/4 inch thickness material using a pattern rubber cemented top and bottom, the bottom representing the lower lift and the top representing the upper lift, do you think that would work also my thoughts for finishing the wood was to tung oil and then a coat of poly, how would you finish the lifts that have the gray stain i appreciate the help greatly. THANKS Don

I do not see much advantage to trying to use natural colored wood here. for one thing there is no gray blue wood that I know of so all the upper works will have to be painted or stained. you can use the ebonizing technique that will give you a blue gray color, but if you go that route might as well just use a stain.
for the bottom bloodwood had the best red color but the wood is very hard and difficult to work with. cherry in time will turn brown and loose the redness. There is a red Mahogany but most on the market is a pale color and not even close to the color red you see in the picture.

looking at the model n your painting with wood topic the model looks really nice and the use of different wood makes it even better. but like I said with this project with just gray and red i don't think a natural wood color approach will work as well as it did in the other project

Last edited:
OK, Sugestions of wood type and stains, and final finishes, THANKS TO ALL FOR IDEAS Don PS I HAVE HAD A VERY BAD EXPERIENCE USING MIN-WAX PENETRATING STAINS, BETTER BUT NOT COMPLETELY HAPPY WITH MIN-WAX- GEL STAINS, THEY ARE OK BUT LET ME HERE OF SOME OTHER TYPES OF STAINS, PAINTING AND Don IS A NO,NO, WE DO NOT GET ALONG

Don: What kind of problems are you having with the penetrating stains? My suspicion is you're seeing blotchiness, or spots where the stain doesn't "take". This can be due to glue drying on the wood and then trying to stain after glue up. If that's the case you might want to try a water soluble dye. You should be able to dye the wood and then glue it up. If you use an oil based stain the glue won't hold.

Hi Doc, YES THAT IS ONE PROBLEM, BUT THE MAIN PROBLEM IS IT JUST WILL NOT PENETRATE THE WOOD EVEN BEFORE GLUEING, and on sample pieces, WHAT ARE THE WATER SOLUBLE DYE, and where can i get it, right now when ever i have to stain i dot it before i glue it, wherever possible, the GEL STAIN WORKS BUT NOT ENTIRELY SATISFIED. THANKS Don

Back