Panart Royal Caroline

The box.
Standard ingredients: laser cut plywood sheets, planks, dowels, strips, rigging thread, plans and lots of shiny fittings. For reasons unknown the bulkheads are distributed over two plywood sheets of different colour and slightly differing thicknesses. The plans have a hand drawn appearance and are a bit approximate.. I took a lot of bulkhead measurements off a sheet purportedly representing the plywood sheets 1:1 only to find later that the actual bulkheads were different so I had to do it again. The keel and bulkheads fitted together very well. Some sample photos appended
First stage planking.
I hope at the second stage to bring all planks to the stem with a reasonable width (no points) rather than have the lower level planks curling up to meet the upper levels at an angle part way along the hull. This will involve tapering and, probably, a few drop planks.
By way of a rehearsal I chose to adopt the same approach to the first stage planking although a less formal approach would normally be used.
I was almost successful in this but was slightly derailed by the instructions. A line is specified on the plans for a starting plank. I followed this but the plank needed a bit of sideways force to comply. Instructions indicate five more planks below the starter with no tapering. The perimeter of the first few bulkheads is, as usuual, a lot less than that of the midship bulkheads. This instruction would plank over a lot of the precious space on the forward bulkheads so I tapered them a bit. I should have tapered them more and possibly included a drop plank. So I did end up with a few lower planks curling up to meet hight planks at an angle. A useful lesson to be applied at the second stage. I included a few formally shaped drop planks at the first stage as an exercise rather than the normal practice of leaving lune shaped gaps to be filled with pointy ended inserts. After dilligent application of my new scrapers I have ended up with a reasonably satisfactory result. There are a few small gaps and a bit of a mess low down at the stern deadwood but nothing that cannot be bridged with the second stage planking.
I used bow blocks shaped to continue the line of the first stage planking ready to receive the second stage
There is a small hole in the port bilge! I forgot to leave access to a screw that was holding the inverted assembly to a temporary support.
During the planking I pinned the planks to the bulkhead through 4mm wide strips of thin plywood. This made it easy to extract the pins without having to dig them out of the plank surface.
Box1.jpg plans1.jpg plans2.jpg
Frames.jpg first plank1.jpg
firstplank2.jpg drop planks.jpg
nailing.jpg

I like this ship model kit very much - I have also one unstarted in the shelf ...... maybe once .....
Have fun with this lovely model

Lining off the hull
Rather than faff about with bits of string and tape I have written a piece of software to plan the second stage planking. Given a starting height on the widest bulkhead it calculates the natural line taken by a plank as it bends around the bulkheads towards the stem and stern. It also calculates the distance, measured from the keel, round the edge of the bulkhead to the line of the plank. Given two starting lines it evaluates the number of planks of nominal width that will fit between them on the widest bulkhead and the reduced widths on each bulkhead towards the stern and stem. It therefore gives the average tapering for a band of planks.
data for belt between 80 and 44 = 6 whole planks
bulkhead 1.0 2.0 3.0 4.0 5.0 6.0 7.0 8.0 9.0 10.0 11.0
band top 80.5 76.5 76.2 77.7 79.2 80.0 79.8 79.5 79.2 78.5 78.6
band bottom 62.4 54.3 50.8 48.1 44.9 44.0 44.7 45.4 46.5 52.9 59.6
keel to top 73.5 76.9 90.7 105.3 119.9 125.9 121.3 115.7 109.9 104.3 123.5
keel to bottom 55.4 53.0 63.8 74.6 84.7 89.2 85.4 80.7 75.6 70.5 86.3
band width 18.1 23.8 26.8 30.7 35.2 36.7 35.8 34.9 34.3 33.8 37.2
plank width 3.0 3.9 4.4 5.0 5.8 6.0 5.9 5.7 5.6 5.5 6.1
There are various options for displaying the planks.
The first screenshot below shows the profile of planks as they would lie on the hull if they are all given the same taper identified above and allowed to follow their natural curve. The top of each plank is defined by the bottom edge of the one above. Ideally they would all be straight but use of a common taper means there is a bit of lateral bending to make them fit. It is probably small enough to be accommodated.
The green lines are a view of the seams as they would appear on the hull. The red lines are the edges of "decks" at each plank top.
Alternatively, the second screen shot displays the profile if each plank follows its natural curve and its width is defined by its neighbours. . (Development is needed to correct the junction between first and second planks.) The planks would need not lateral flexing but their widths vary from plank to plank. This gives some indication of how narrow some might become at the stem. This is more of academic interest than a practical option.
The third screen shot is a variation of the sfirst showing the effect of inserting drop planks. This option could be used to investigate where the drop planks are best inserted an how often
Finally, the fourth shot shows the (approximate) shape that the planks would have to be cut to maintain level seams along the lenth of the hull.
The upper planks would need to curve upwards towards the bow to counter the effect of the tumble home. The lower planks would need to be cut with a downward curve to counter the usual upturn around the fwd bulkheads.
The actual screen displays from which these clips are taken extend to the stern. There are some peculiar shapes under the counter!
The software gets a bit wobbly very low down on the bilge. A different algorithm is need to calculate the lie of the near-horizontal planks.
planks80.jpg individual.jpg
dropplanks.jpg
spiled.jpg

Second stage planking.
This has been completed. The surface is not a even as I would wish; the first stage was better. With the insertion of a few drop planks I managed to get all the planks running from stem to stern without any discontinuites in the flow and with reasonable widths arriving at the bow. Perhaps with a bit more scraping and sanding, a bit of filling and thick coats of white paint below the waterline it might be passable. The planking would have been a bit easier if the model had a few more bulkheads: some of the spacings were too great to provide firm support fot the plsnks. The planking above the water line is fairly presentable for varnishing.
I have constructed a rough box with the top surface at the waterline and a ship-shaped cut out. I'm not sure what purpose this serves but it was an excuse to play with my new toy - a Proxxon scroll saw. The box may provide a useful way of supporting some of the items on the upper hull. For example, the final picture below illustrates the potential for restraining the wales while the glue sets without having to insert pins. It may help in marking/taping the waterlinr for painting since trying to mark with the aid of a planking strip would create a curve,
2nd_planking1[1].jpg 2nd_planking2[1].jpg
2nd_planking3[1].jpg Waterline1[1].jpg
Waterline3[1].jpg Waterline2[1].jpg

Back