Panart: San Felipe 1:75 Scale Build Log [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hi Donnie
She is looking good my friend. I am pleased you watered your paint down it is a lot better. I keep telling people to thin the paint down a little, better to give the wood 2-3 coats of thin paint than one thick one. I do like your work and the detail you put into your build.

Denis.

Thanks again guys. This is a classic example of one things leads to another. The following images are from the manual and how they design for the windows to look. As you can tell, there is a thick piece of stock that glues to the upper deck. Then they suggest painting the wooden stock with a light blue color to simulate the light and then the window panel glues to that. However, with the desire to have real (somewhat) windows, I had to ditch that thick wooden stock piece. I had to create a frame and support beams for all this to be secured. Thus the following images. I also found a piece of very thin plexi glass for the window panes. Then the rest of the images show the details I was trying to achieve.

windows01.jpg

windows04.jpg

windows02.jpg

windows03.jpg

windows05.jpg

windows06.jpg

I like the blue on the wood, it blends in well with the brass and the unpainted wood on the Hull. The window frames look much better as well.

Cheers Andy

G'day Donnie
I've been watching your amazing log on the this extremely amazing model, but I haven't had time to post anything as my wife and I have moved to a new home after almost 32 years at our old house. It was 12 weeks of utter HELL. What you are doing it a high advancement on the kit (that is were the fun is for all of us) and it shows your love for our hobby. Along with your amazing SOS forum, I don't know how you get everything done. I simply love and absorb your videos instructions! If a picture tells a 1000 words, then your videos must tells a MILLION. The way you cut out the windows is another example of a master craftsman. Havagooday my Yanky friend from your Ozzie mate.
Greg

Thank you again everyone for the kind words...well, Greg, I do not consider myself any where near a master craftsman. I am just like you guys...struggling to make something out of boxed kit. I am glad that you are back online. Moving is hard and tough - it is not easy. Well, I was dreading the Stern because I knew I was not going to be happy with the way the instructions had things. So, off I go cutting out window panes and stuff. Once you start down this road, you have to do them all. So, onto more window cut-outs. This time I made a rectangular opening in the stern and also created two light paths to get in. I am getting closer to doing what I did not really want to fool with and that is LED lighting. But, I might as well do it. Why have windows if all you can see in there is black space.

stern23.jpg

stern24.jpg

G'day Donnie
I don't know why you dreading to do the painting on the transon's headpiece. It's marvelous mate.
havagooday
Greg

Ok, so here is a major update. Dealing with several things.

1) The lighting for the lower gallery and the Windows for the lower Gallery.
2) The previous holes are going to be used to pass the wiring down to the lower Gallery via a column inside the upper Gallery.
3) The Column will have a hole drilled through to allow for the wire to pass through.
4) When the upper Gallery is lit up, then you will not see wires, but you will see false Column supports as if it is supposed to have columns.
5) There was a dowel that was used to mock up the diameter of the dowel needed, then put a large dowel on the lathe (trued up the stock), drill hole, then finish the diameter off.

A lot of work and what in the world am I thinking - one things leads to another.
THIS WILL BE BROKEN INTO TWO PARTS IMAGES:

stern27.jpg

stern28.jpg

stern29.jpg

stern30.jpg

stern31.jpg

stern32.jpg

stern33.jpg

stern34.jpg

stern35.jpg

stern36.jpg

stern37.jpg

stern38.jpg

Ok, so this is the gruesome part of drilling all the way through using the previous holes for pilot holes and AIM just right !!!

stern39.jpg

Now, I can take the measurements off the mock-up dowel diameter and transfer that to a dowel I will put on the lathe. The dowel will be a little larger because you have to "true" the dowel up so that you can drill a hole right in the center. Truing must be done first. Then the hole is drilled. The dowel will have a little wobble and warp to it and that is why you true the dowel first.
After the dowel is true, then you drill your hole next and I have some special short stub bits that will not wander or wobble. Then after the hole is drill all the way through, then I go back and finish off the final diameter --- easy !!!
stern41.jpgstern42.jpgstern43.jpgstern44.jpgstern45.jpgstern46.jpg

Ok, so the final product of passing the wires through for test. Then mounting the false column, then passing wires through. ...hope I did not make any mistakes after all this work. I will have to drill two more holes in the upper Gallery as the wires were using the first set.
stern47.jpgstern48.jpgstern49.jpg

It's good to see all the different processes you went through. It may seem like a lot of time and effort but in the long run it will be time well spent when it's all lit up.

Cheers Andy

Back